Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 04:27 PM   #101
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
If it was a gift isn’t the tax man coming a knocking in the US ?
Wouldn’t be a negative for Ohtani I imagine, because he would be the gifter, no? I think his main issue is giving money to an offshore bookie.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:51 PM   #102
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohtani would have to pay gift tax on it if it was a gift.

But he says it was stolen.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:15 PM   #103
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Ohtani would have to pay gift tax on it if it was a gift.

But he says it was stolen.

Sorry, pardon my ignorance but there's a tax for the giver of a gift??? Not the receiver, but a giver? And American's have the audacity to say we're taxed to death?
Old 03-27-2024, 08:42 PM   #104
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
Sorry, pardon my ignorance but there's a tax for the giver of a gift??? Not the receiver, but a giver? And American's have the audacity to say we're taxed to death?
People were giving huge gifts to their kids to avoid the inheritance tax, so if you give a big gift while you're alive you have to pay tax on it.

First $18k per recipient per year is tax free though, so it isn't like the average person is going to trip that on Christmas gifts.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2024, 02:27 AM   #105
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

That makes sense. New info for me.
Old 03-28-2024, 06:48 AM   #106
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly - so either Ohtani needs to report the theft (which he apparently still hasn’t done ) or this is a gift and he owes tax $$ and could be guilty of tax evasion (depends on timing of gift if taxes were already due)
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 02:09 AM   #107
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dodgers sign Will Smith. $140MM total for 10 years. Big signing bonuses in the first 2 years plus a bunch of deferred money makes the CBT number $12.2 MM/year.

They're really going for it, because at the end of this deal they'll have $12.2 MM in payroll on a 38 year old catcher. You can't have all the players DH...
Old 03-29-2024, 08:22 AM   #108
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

DBacks put up 16 last night, I hope they challenge the Dodgers for the division all season.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:49 AM   #109
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are the Dodgers able to do that? It’s one thing to sign Ohtani to that contract but the supporting cast for inflated salaries and term is crazy. If Ohtani goes down in injury for an extended time or to the point of it being a career limiter, they’re left with a lesser fan base and a ton of money out there.

As for Arizona, Moreno definitely the one that got away. 3 RBIs in that game.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:03 PM   #110
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How are the Dodgers able to do that? It’s one thing to sign Ohtani to that contract but the supporting cast for inflated salaries and term is crazy. If Ohtani goes down in injury for an extended time or to the point of it being a career limiter, they’re left with a lesser fan base and a ton of money out there.

As for Arizona, Moreno definitely the one that got away. 3 RBIs in that game.
If you're willing to pay the luxury tax you can spend any amount of money. The Kansas City Royals et al are rubbing their hands at the transfers they're going to get.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:43 PM   #111
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I understand. What I don’t understand is how they’ll get a return on that investment. It’s pretty risky. I’m sure if the Jays got Ohtani they’d likely just get one other guy and call it a day. There are some very pricey contracts there and I imagine they’ll try and maximize every revenue stream but I can’t see how they’ll make it back. One tweak to Ohtani and that return on investment that all this banks on, is gone.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:53 PM   #112
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I understand. What I don’t understand is how they’ll get a return on that investment. It’s pretty risky. I’m sure if the Jays got Ohtani they’d likely just get one other guy and call it a day. There are some very pricey contracts there and I imagine they’ll try and maximize every revenue stream but I can’t see how they’ll make it back. One tweak to Ohtani and that return on investment that all this banks on, is gone.
Oh for sure, it's extremely risky. They could end up losing money on it. But if it goes right they could be a multiple world series winning dynasty. If I had unlimited money I can imagine spending it on that.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:44 PM   #113
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bobby Witt Jr. is the next Mike Trout, but even better because he plays short.

Last year he hit 30 homeruns and had 49 SB, with a .276 avg and .814 OPS.

After the first 3 innings today, was just a double away from the cycle. His avg. is .545 and his OPS is 1.888. He's fast, athletic, has a great arm, and is very strong at his defensive position.

KC just locked him up long term in the last off season. He's going to turn that franchise around by himself. He's only 23 as well...JFC. I'd go out of my way to watch KC games just to watch him.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 10:30 AM   #114
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

A's set to play in Sacramento for 2025 to 2027

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/athletics-to-...move-1.2099360

The Athletics will leave Oakland after this season and play temporarily at a minor league park near Sacramento until their planned new stadium in Las Vegas is built.

The A's announced the decision to play at the home of the Sacramento River Cats from 2025-27 with an option for 2028 on Thursday after being unable to reach an agreement to extend their lease in Oakland during that time.
“We explored several locations for a temporary home, including the Oakland Coliseum,” owner John Fisher said in a statement. “Even with the long-standing relationship and good intentions on all sides in the negotiations with Oakland, the conditions to achieve an agreement seemed out of reach. We understand the disappointment this news brings to our fans, as this season marks our final one in Oakland. Throughout this season, we will honor and celebrate our time in Oakland, and will share additional details soon.”
The A's announced their intention last April to move to Las Vegas and MLB owners unanimously approved in November the application to relocate.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 01:39 PM   #115
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
A's set to play in Sacramento for 2025 to 2027

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/athletics-to-...move-1.2099360

The Athletics will leave Oakland after this season and play temporarily at a minor league park near Sacramento until their planned new stadium in Las Vegas is built.

The A's announced the decision to play at the home of the Sacramento River Cats from 2025-27 with an option for 2028 on Thursday after being unable to reach an agreement to extend their lease in Oakland during that time.
“We explored several locations for a temporary home, including the Oakland Coliseum,” owner John Fisher said in a statement. “Even with the long-standing relationship and good intentions on all sides in the negotiations with Oakland, the conditions to achieve an agreement seemed out of reach. We understand the disappointment this news brings to our fans, as this season marks our final one in Oakland. Throughout this season, we will honor and celebrate our time in Oakland, and will share additional details soon.”
The A's announced their intention last April to move to Las Vegas and MLB owners unanimously approved in November the application to relocate.
It's crazy to me that they haven't even considered playing in the Vegas AAA park. You'd think if he was serious about actually going to Vegas, he'd want to get into the market, start a season ticket waiting list, build demand, etc. The fact he'd rather stay Northern California to keep his TV contract than do all that tells me that he's just not a major league calibre owner.

Whatever the end game is, I don't think it's actually for the A's to play in Las Vegas.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 04:14 PM   #116
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
It's crazy to me that they haven't even considered playing in the Vegas AAA park. You'd think if he was serious about actually going to Vegas, he'd want to get into the market, start a season ticket waiting list, build demand, etc. The fact he'd rather stay Northern California to keep his TV contract than do all that tells me that he's just not a major league calibre owner.

Whatever the end game is, I don't think it's actually for the A's to play in Las Vegas.
I'd be surprised if Sacramento is close enough to keep the TV deal as-is, and NBC has no incentive to negotiate with them. At $67MM/year that contract is almost certainly losing money, so if they can get out of it they will.

I'm really surprised they couldn't come to an agreement with the Giants to use their park as second tier tenant where the As get last choice of dates, play doubleheaders, and pay significant rent.
Old 04-04-2024, 04:43 PM   #117
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baseball teams play too many games to share stadiums. One team would always be on the road, plus things like rain delays and a need for a new clubhouse don't make a shared MLB stadium feasible.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 05:50 PM   #118
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol Marlins
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 10:44 PM   #119
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohtani hit his first HR as a Dodger at home, and all the fans they got the ball got were a couple hats and a bat, after some apparent pressure tactics from the Dodgers, instead of a decent cash amount of up to $100k.

And, Ohtani lied about meeting the person/couple.

Maybe Ohtani is a heel?

https://theathletic.com/5392308/2024...ani-homer-fan/
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:38 AM   #120
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Baseball teams play too many games to share stadiums. One team would always be on the road, plus things like rain delays and a need for a new clubhouse don't make a shared MLB stadium feasible.
Although now Oakland has to share a stadium with the Giants' AAA team and the AAA team will get the favourable dates.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote