Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2022, 08:20 AM   #4101
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
The Draper train keeps picking up steam. I don't think this is a bad loss for Felix, Draper has been playing some great tennis lately and I can see him making the top 10 next year. I do think Felix needs a new coach, maybe give Agassi a call.
Well, it's not as bad as a loss as it was in Montreal against Ruud, but it's still a bad loss in my eyes. The book is out on Felix and it's just get the ball back in court and wait for the unforced error. Draper was pretty good last night and hit a couple of fantastic shots, but really didn't do anything special because he didn't have to do anything special. You know that as long as you can hold your serve, Felix will likely gift you one bad service game per set and that's exactly what he did last night.

He's out of the top 10 now in the live rankings and honestly he's not a top 10 player at the moment. It's weird, he started off 2022 playing some great tennis at the ATP Cup and the Australian Open and then finally won his first ATP title in Rotterdam and since winning that title, he hasn't played good tennis.

tldr and sorry for the rant, it's just more disappointment than anger for me, still a Felix fan.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:30 AM   #4102
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Side note, has anyone been to any grandslams? I went to the US Open in 2011 for 4th round / QF match ups. It was an amazing experience!
2006 USO - Prime Fed and Pirate Rafa, hurricane most of the time so tons of waiting around for courts to never dry

2015 USO - Just one night session, lucky enough to get another Fed match where he speedbagged an early rounder

2019 SW19 - 5 hours in the queue, 5 hours on Trash I mean Murray Mountain. the big 3 with routine wins watched from the screen outside center court. Fun for the first time, probably will never go without tickets again

FO probably in the next 5 years, AO maybe not till retirement. I'd still recommend Indian Wells over any of these if your focus is mostly on the tennis and not as much on big city tourism.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #4103
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Draper train keeps picking up steam. I don't think this is a bad loss for Felix, Draper has been playing some great tennis lately and I can see him making the top 10 next year. I do think Felix needs a new coach, maybe give Agassi a call.
He's only 20 and looks to be a promising player. I could see him going far in this tournament. One of the main differences in the match is that his serve was just dominant. It felt like just getting a breakpoint was monumental for Felix. Similar to the match against Coric where he couldn't even get a single break point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Well, it's not as bad as a loss as it was in Montreal against Ruud, but it's still a bad loss in my eyes. The book is out on Felix and it's just get the ball back in court and wait for the unforced error. Draper was pretty good last night and hit a couple of fantastic shots, but really didn't do anything special because he didn't have to do anything special. You know that as long as you can hold your serve, Felix will likely gift you one bad service game per set and that's exactly what he did last night.

He's out of the top 10 now in the live rankings and honestly he's not a top 10 player at the moment. It's weird, he started off 2022 playing some great tennis at the ATP Cup and the Australian Open and then finally won his first ATP title in Rotterdam and since winning that title, he hasn't played good tennis.

tldr and sorry for the rant, it's just more disappointment than anger for me, still a Felix fan.
What's concerning to me is that he's got totally steamrolled facing quality players over the summer, getting handled easily by Rudd, Coric, and Draper without winning a single set against them. Draper just kept hitting to his backhand and waiting for the error. That's now two straight losses he hasn't broken serve once. That's not going to win you matches against anyone. Seems like both he and Shappo have kind of hit a ceiling and their current games are just not good enough when facing top 10 or hot players as they both may need a new coaching voice to take them over the top.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #4104
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, what a great win for Bianca!! 6-2 6-4

I think that's the best match she has played in 2022.
It definitely is - the entire difference being on her own serve. Not that it was unassailable, just... better. She's been returning really well for the most part this year but if she can keep this up and not get injured, as I've said before, she's a top 5 player.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 09:18 AM   #4105
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea at the beginning of the year Felix was playing great and I was so excited about him. 5 set loss to Medvedev in Australia nothing to be ashamed of, 5 set loss to Rafa in Paris great result but since then I'm not sure what has happened.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:30 AM   #4106
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was a fun (and late) night out at the tennis last night. My battery was getting low so didn't do any posts during Biancas match. She was dominant and it was very fun to watch. Too bad it was so late that most of the crowd had gone home. On the plus side, I got to move down and sit very close to the court! Really cool experience, when you're that close you can see and hear everything. Too bad about Felix's match being a dud, although there were some entertaining long rallies as well.

Oh, and the Korean spicy pork with kimchi and rice was some of the best sporting event food I've ever had!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 10:33 AM   #4107
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yea at the beginning of the year Felix was playing great and I was so excited about him. 5 set loss to Medvedev in Australia nothing to be ashamed of, 5 set loss to Rafa in Paris great result but since then I'm not sure what has happened.
Watching Felix it seems that he's turning the Zverev page somewhat, often falling into the trap of being so woefully predictable tactically, standing back trying to out rally players, and not having a second serve that can set him up well enough in points when the first isn't going.

I'm not sure what his team is going for, but it is perplexing that he doesn't commit to hitting more slices during some of his exchanges to cut down on errors and try to finish points at the net with a little more regularity. He's a great mover and has all the tools to volley and slice with the best of them. You're simply not going to out forehand the top players on tour every match, and running around backhands non-stop just seems like a challenger level tactic.

Maybe time for a complete team overhaul and new voice.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 09-01-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:41 AM   #4108
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, what a great win for Bianca!! 6-2 6-4

I think that's the best match she has played in 2022.
She's playing great tennis again, which is very encouraging to see. If she can keep the schedule well managed so that the body doesn't break down again, I think 2023 is going to be a very big year for her.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:29 PM   #4109
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shapo broken early
Old 09-01-2022, 04:33 PM   #4110
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

And he breaks back!
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 04:39 PM   #4111
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So for the first time in a long time, I thought to myself, "let's turn on a Shapo match".

I turn it on. It is 3-3 with Shapo serving at 30-0.

Shapo hits a first serve into the net.

Shapo hits his second serve two feet wide for a double fault.

I turn off the Shapo match.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 06:16 PM   #4112
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shapo is one set away from round 3 as he just closed out set 3 taking it 6-3 after splitting the first two sets with RCB.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:23 PM   #4113
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1565487354030456832
Old 09-01-2022, 06:38 PM   #4114
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Break! courtesy of a fine forehand winner.

Edit: Shapo up a double break and serving for the match at 5-2

Edit 2: Serves it out to love. Nicely done Denis.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 09-01-2022 at 06:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2022, 08:15 PM   #4115
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of carnage on the men's side today - Coric, Kecmanovic, and Hurkacz all eliminated.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:29 PM   #4116
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fognini takes the opening set 6-2 over Rafa. Fabio is red-lining his shots and it's working thus far, but I don't think it will continue.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:31 PM   #4117
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fognini takes the opening set 6-2 over Rafa. Fabio is red-lining his shots and it's working thus far, but I don't think it will continue.
I hope so, Rafa wasn't sharp that first set again
Old 09-01-2022, 08:43 PM   #4118
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rafa's backhand is no bueno thus far.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:56 PM   #4119
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trainer out for Rafa (blisters on a finger needs to be re-taped).
Old 09-01-2022, 09:02 PM   #4120
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the worst I've seen Rafa play in years, have no idea what's going on with him