Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 11:24 AM   #2201
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

A loving heart attack
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:56 AM   #2202
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Sandy, thoughts on Alfons Freij?
Thanks Wasted- Freij was amongst the very first profiles I did this year. I'm a big fan. Here it is:

Wallenius' teammate on both the Vaxjo Lakers, and team Sweden at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, is smooth skating rearguard Alfons Freij- who, like Wallenius, has put up some great numbers in the J20. 9 goals and 23 points in 29 games, which puts him 5th in the league for D, and he put up 4 points in 4 games at the Hlinka, putting him 5th for D in that tournament as well. Freij has a touch more size than Wallenius, at 6'1",192lbs, and is an explosive skater in his own right with a very aggressive, dynamic style. He has an attack mentality, and loves having the puck on his stick, carrying it with confidence with his skillful puckhandling. He's an excellent transporter of the puck, both with his feet in skating from the D zone all the way through to the other end of the rink, or through his deft passing- be it either the short pass, or his expert long bombs to streaking teammates. Freij may be one of the top puck-movers from the backend in this draft, and he can pull off passes that most can't see- and the confidence to try, even when they don't connect sometimes. There's a risk-taking component to his game, and not everything he tries works 100% of the time, but more often than not, it does. He's always working hard to make things happen. He has top-tier vision and creativity, and sees the ice better than most. Freij makes it look easy, and is a threat in the offensive zone, both on and off the puck with his ability to perform and move in traffic, draw attackers to him, and his ability to attack (and create) open space. He can shoot the puck hard and accurate, and get it on net through traffic pretty consistently. There's a physical component here too, although he's not a huge hitter, and needs to get a bit stronger. As good as he is offensively, he can be an adventure in his own zone- he can defend the rush with his speed, but lacks the same zeal in his own zone as he puts into his offensive play. Freij is still considered a two-way defenseman, but this dimension in his game needs work-it's definitely not a glaring weakness. He still exhibits excellent gap control, and has an active stick. Many say that his decision-making in the D zone is a concern, and that he can be pressured into making mistakes. Freij is another D to look for in the late first, early second.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 12:14 PM   #2203
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

My top 10 picks including if we win the lottery.

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Parekh
4. Levshunov
5. Catton
6. Lindstrom
7. Buium
8. Dickinson
9. Hage
10. Yakemchuk

I have Tij at 11.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 01:47 PM   #2204
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
My top 10 picks including if we win the lottery.

1. Celebrini
2. Demidov
3. Parekh
4. Levshunov
5. Catton
6. Lindstrom
7. Buium
8. Dickinson
9. Hage
10. Yakemchuk

I have Tij at 11.
Good ranking overall I'd say.

If the Flames pick Parekh, I have to change my avatar into something that's not a frog. If the Flames pick Buium, you have to change your avatar into something that's not a frog.

Okay, deal.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 01:57 PM   #2205
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Good ranking overall I'd say.

If the Flames pick Parekh, I have to change my avatar into something that's not a frog. If the Flames pick Buium, you have to change your avatar into something that's not a frog.

Okay, deal.
Sounds fun.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:38 PM   #2206
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Sandy, thoughts on Alfons Freij?
Gentle reminder:
140+ profiles are all at Upside Hockey via Sandman
https://bit.ly/2024nhldraftprofiles

Stoked as we got an update in our rankings coming as well...
E-Mac has told me he has all Sandman profiles also linked in the mega spreadsheet format.
I should get up in next day or two and get Sandman's latest profiles added in as well, once I get taxman business completed lol.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:03 PM   #2207
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Draft Thoughts (Saku's Boy Edition):

If there was an award for the most improved player in the 2024 NHL Draft, the trophy would surely go to Saku's son, RHC Aatos Koivu. He wasn't even on the radar last year, with only 7 points in 20 games in the U18 Sarja with TPS, and even spent 2 games in the U18 Mestis- the secondary league at the U18 level, so his rise has been nothing short of meteoric. His 2022-23 season was also limited to 30 games due to injury. This season, he has shuffled between the U18 level (22 points in 20 games), the U20 (31 points in 28 games, 5th in scoring for U-18 players), and even the Liiga (4 games, no points), and is as late-blooming as you can get, growing 6 inches over the last two seasons. He now measures 6'0" (some say he's 6'1"), weighs in at 165lbs, and is still quite young with a June 22nd birthday. Koivu centered the top line for Finland at the most recent 5 Nations, where he tied for 10th overall in scoring with 3 points in 4 games, and is currently in the playoffs with TPS' U20 squad, posting 6 points in 6 games.

As one can deduce, Koivu is still very much physically raw, and I can't imagine that going through a growth spurt like the one he has experienced would be easy, or good for one's co-ordination. Still, his top asset might just be his skating, with superb first-step quickness and acceleration, to go with a separation gear at top speed, and smooth edges for balance and agility. Koivu has flashes of playmaking ability, but leans more into his goal-scoring ability, as he owns a dangerous shot that he can pick corners with, and a release that fools goalies. His wrister could use more zip, but he can uncork an absolutely blistering one-timer that is hard to stop, and is already NHL-quality. He's good in-close too, with soft hands, and the moves to deke a netminder out of his jockstrap. As far as passing goes, he doesn't really do anything that would qualify as being too dynamic, and though he has a fair amount of smarts and awareness, he keeps it fairly simple. Like his father, Aatos is scrappy and plays with a big chip on his shoulder- he's ultra competitive, aggressive, and tough to play against. He finishes his checks, throws hits to dislodge pucks, and battles hard in the greasy areas. He is effective in transition, and can make clean entries with possession. He has shown the ability to pass off the rush, or attack the middle to shoot. On the forecheck, he catches up to puck-carriers quickly, and makes life difficult for them, taking away time and space.

Koivu's defensive game is in need of improvement, and he himself acknowledges that fact. He shows good puck-pursuit, and can cause turnovers on occasion that he then turns into offensive rushes, but he lacks composure, and tends to rush things when pressured. He doesn't always know where to be, and can be caught puck-watching from time-to-time. His overall IQ and awareness has been called into question, with some saying that he needs to speed up his processing, and use his teammates more. Koivu needs to add a lot more strength and bulk, as he can be overpowered in puck battles, and knocked off the puck- adding more muscle will help him in front of the net, as well. His stickhandling could use a tune-up, as he can overhandle the puck in flight, which leads to turnovers. Some of these issues could be tied to how much he's grown physically in such a short time, as it must cause some co-ordination problems, but he seems to have the right attitude, character, and mindset to improve his weaknesses and become an NHLer, as well as a fantastic support system in his corner. McKenzie has him ranked 60th, which is the late 2nd-round- I could definitely see that happening, but I'm going to guess early 3rd round.
Was told the Flames have been looking closely at this kid, apparently they like the strides he's made this year, I don't have any reports on his game so my question to you Sandy would you use a 2nd on this kid or hope he lasts till the 3rd round?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 06:11 PM   #2208
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Was told the Flames have been looking closely at this kid, apparently they like the strides he's made this year, I don't have any reports on his game so my question to you Sandy would you use a 2nd on this kid or hope he lasts till the 3rd round?
I think we make a handshake agreement to let the Habs take him if they leave tij for us
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 06:42 PM   #2209
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
In my humble opinion, I think his game has enough warts to be a mediocre second rounder, but an excellent third round pick. That’s where I think he belongs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 07:02 PM   #2210
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Using their 2nd second rounder wouldn't be a bad idea.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 07:29 PM   #2211
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Using their 2nd second rounder wouldn't be a bad idea.
If they like him enough yup. Especially if they don't think he would make it to their 3rd.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:38 PM   #2212
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Sir Yatsky Edition):

LHD Alexander Siryatsky made two debuts this season in Russia, with Stalnye Lisy of Russia's junior league (MHL), and had a three-game audition in the KHL with Mettalurg Magnitogorsk. Obviously, with Siryatsky being only 17 years old (quite young with an August 4th birthday), his game in each respective league was much different with the disparity in competition between the two, but his mature defensive game in the KHL got rave reviews with some saying that looked like he had been playing in that league for years, though he had no points through 3 games. Siryatsky plays more of a two-way game in the MHL, and those who watch him regularly say his offensive creativity is getting better all the time, as he gains more confidence. In 36 games with Stalnye Lisy he posted 5 goals and 19 points which, for a defenseman in the MHL, is not too shabby- even if that defenseman plays 20-plus minutes (often reportedly up to 26 minutes) as Siryatsky does. He was able to add 4 points in 6 playoff games, with 27 penalty-minutes on the side, before his team was eliminated. This young man, who by the way stands 6'2" and weighs 159lbs, is seeing his stock go up by leaps and bounds, congruent with how his game has grown throughout the year.

Siryatsky says he watches and tries to emulate Cale Makar and Quinn Hughes, and while he might not measure up to them right now, he looks like he's been taking lessons from them in how to carry the puck up the ice with calmness and composure. He can move through and around layers of bodies, even going coast-to-coast at times, with his smooth stickhandling and his mastery of deception in the form of feints, head fakes, rapid changes of speed and direction, stops and starts, and dekes and dangles. Mobility wise, he's very fast and fluid with excellent acceleration and a good short-burst- he will only get faster as he gets stronger. Though he may not be elite in the speed department, his edges are extremely strong and smooth and enable him to move easily in tight spaces. His creativity is still a work in progress, but he's already a quality puck-mover who is always looking to advance the play, preferring shorter and simpler passes, or give-and-go's to get the job done. With his team installed in the offensive zone, he walks the line seamlessly to open lanes and manipulate opponents- he distributes well from the point position with crisp, accurate passes, and keeps pucks alive and deep. Unless it's the powerplay, he doesn't seem to activate into the play at all- this could be a coaching issue too, or a team system thing. He will step up to keep plays alive though, and pinch up the boards in performance of this task. He has playmaking potential, and takes a few more risks at the MHL level, where he's getting better and better all the time at making plays. His shot isn't very threatening unfortunately, and he wields it mostly as a playmaking tool to facilitate rebound opportunities for teammates. Siryatsky plays a cerebral game in all three zones, and employs a highly intelligent off-puck game, skating the right routes and finding the proper position to be in to make himself playable.

The hype is real- Siryatsky plays a nearly immaculate game in his own zone, and makes a huge impact on the game defensively. He's a very mature defender, and doesn't cheat the game- he's usually the last man to leave the zone, and the first one back. He's well-developed defensively, elite for his age group, and understands that preventing goals comes first, offense second. He has acute awareness and an ability to read the play and process quickly, while keeping his feet moving and staying active. He anticipates what's coming, then reacts proactively, killing the play early before it even unfolds. He exerts tight gap control, and closes quickly on puck-carriers using a smart stick to poke-check, or strip opponents of the puck. Siryatsky has a long reach as well, and is disruptive down-low and in front of his net. He is quick in identifying his man, and will stick to him like glue. He stood out defensively and racked up stops in limited ice-time in the KHL, playing simple, risk-free hockey without trying to do much offensively. He plays superb defense at his opponents' blueline, intercepting breakouts and keeping pucks alive, snuffing rushes before they even leave the zone. There's good value here in transition as well, with his ability to stretch the ice or make outlets in full flight, and he completes impressive retrievals using deception to give himself time and space. He scans cautiously and quickly, and exhibits patience in the way he waits for his teammates to get set up before sending his outlet up ice.

In the one game I watched him play, he made a few unlucky mistakes. Firstly, at one point he pinched to keep the play alive but fanned on the puck, and because he was in flight, he went past the puck which resulted in a catastrophic 2-on-1 goal against, as he left his partner hanging out to dry. Secondly, he whiffed on a breakout pass from the corner, sending the puck right to the slot where an oncoming attacker was streaking in alone, for a dangerous chance-against. Siryatsky has been criticized for holding on to the puck for too long at times, trying to find the perfect pass, which can result in the sudden loss of real estate in which to operate. When he bulks up and gets stronger, he will be a beast, and nearly impossible to go up against. This kid is amazing to watch, and flashes huge potential, but needs to keep developing his shot, skating, and offense. He's good enough to get third-round consideration, but I think he'll go in the fourth round.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 02:56 AM   #2213
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Professor X Edition):

LHD Xavier Veilleux of L'Ancienne-Lorette, Quebec was drafted in the 2022 QMJHL Draft by Chicoutimi in the first round, 16th overall, but when Harvard University came calling, he changed his course. Since the NCAA considers CHL players to be paid athletes, and therefore inelligible to play college hockey, Veilleux signed with the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the USHL, who also drafted him in 2022, with pick # 253 in the 17th round. Veilleux, who measures 6'0", and 190lbs, had 3 goals and 32 points in 62 games for Muskegon this season, which sounds a bit mediocre for an offensive defenseman, but it was good enough for 12th overall in scoring by D in the league. Some say his numbers would be higher, had he not committed himself to concentrating on developing his defensive game.

Veilleux is an offensive D with solid puck-moving ability- he's quite smart, but not too dynamic or flashy. He will join the rush as an extra forward, and will pinch into the play if he sees a safe opportunity. One of his specialties is how involved he is in transition for his team- he can successfully complete crisp, accurate breakout passes, or skate it out himself, making clean exits and entries with control. Mobility-wise, he's an excellent skater with an explosive first-step, and rapid acceleration- but he's not a burner. His edges are smooth for quick turns and seamless transitions, and he has good lateral movement, and the ability to stop and start fast. Off the puck, he finds open space to occupy, and stays at the right angle to be ready for passes. His shot is above-average, and he gets it on net through traffic pretty consistently, and he shoots low to facilitate rebound opprtunities for teammates.

While he's worked hard to improve his defensive game, he's still inconsistent at best in this area. He employs a smart, active stick in an effort to disrupt plays and clog passing lanes, and he exerts effort in keeping his crease clear, but he's often out of position and can lose his man. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his backwards skating, but he gives attackers too much space to operate when applying gap control. Veilleux is committed to Harvard for next season, and if he's drafted by an NHL team it won't be until the late rounds.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 08:20 AM   #2214
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
In that sim, yep.

It's different every time you run it.
I get Iginla at 23 every time I run it.

I think they're running on an old consensus.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 09:10 AM   #2215
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
My FC hockey mock draft:
https://nhlentrydraft.com/mock-draft/208700

Demidov and Hage in the 1st round.
For some reason I get Demidov about 50% of the times that I run it (Hage is always there for Vancouver's pick) the other times I run it I get Lindstrom and sometimes Catton/Dickenson... Seems weird that Demidov is available so often. It's immaterial to me that they have Iginla ranked at 23... There's always been someone that I'd rather have then Iginla available every time I ran it. No idea how the sim makes choices.

Usually I end up selecting Freij and Wallenius in the 2nd round (sometimes Letourneau) and then I round out the Draft with Poirier, Sikora, Some rando d-man and a Goalie out of the Q named Luciano Ruggiano (because with a name like that you know opponents will wonder if they'll sleep with the fishes if they embarress him).

Last edited by Parallex; 04-22-2024 at 09:19 AM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 10:11 AM   #2216
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftsim/#/

I've been preferring this tool lately, allows you to run a draft lottery sim prior to the draft, and doesn't follow the rankings as closely (adding some "team need" complexity.)
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 01:02 PM   #2217
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

8 more profiles added - now up to 148!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
From Artamonov to Zetterberg...Upside Hockey (via CP's own Sandman!) has you covered for the 2024 NHL Draft...

140 incomparable profiles completed!

*As always, Sandman's profiles are easily found at Upside Hockey
(along with our exclusive rankings in super-detailed mega spreadsheet format with which I'm sure an update is soon upon us from rankings guru E-Mac - we're now just awaiting NHL Central Scouting update so E-Mac will add that in; he has his updates done for next instalment.)

Alphabetical with a hyperlinked TOC at the top...

Please enjoy...

https://bit.ly/2024nhldraftprofiles
Old 04-22-2024, 02:03 PM   #2218
CalgarySames
Draft Pick

If the Flames take Tij at 9, do they try him at center?
CalgarySames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:04 PM   #2219
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgarySames View Post
If the Flames take Tij at 9, do they try him at center?
I’m sure they will, like when Jarome would occasionally play center
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:30 PM   #2220
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mock drafts are fun. Last one I did for 4 round, focused on D, C, R and got us:
9 - SILAYEV D
27 - PULKKINEN D
41 - BEAUDOIN C
64 - JOSEPHSON C
74 - LAVOIE D
84 - HESSELVALL RW
106 - MCNAMARA C
107 - ROMANI RW

Every draft I do has Iginla going to TML.

Last edited by FurnaceFace; 04-22-2024 at 02:32 PM.
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft