Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #1761
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Anyone try Control? I'm about 3/4 through the game and still don't know what to make of it. The telekinesis powers provide some of the most satisfying gameplay I can remember and the story is something out of a David Lynch movie. I like it but I'm not sure if I love it which will depend on how it wraps up but it's definitely one of the more unique gaming experiences I've had in some time. Not mainstream enough for everyone but if you like David Lynch style bizarre storyline and the ability to weird some really cool powers, it's worth a look.
I'm playing this on the PS4. It's a really neat and fun game minus the serious optimization problems which drop the frame rates to stupid low levels. They're trying to patch it though, that's fine.

Without spoiling the game, I found it super bizarre that it seems like the first 1/3rd of the game was essentially a prolonged tutorial where you also had to spend time to unlock "basic" moves. There's a bit of backstory in the first 1/3rd, but the real backstory feels like it's in the 2/3rd of the play through. After that, there seems to be some detailed story telling for the final 3/3rd just prior to the game going into the end game sequence.

The story is definitely very unique, I like how they tried to keep things familiar by making a parody of a certain real organization. I get what you mean about being unsure if you love it. I really enjoyed Alan Wake and I was hoping of something along those lines. However, one of the things that is bothering me right now is that unlike Alan Wake which felt mysterious and tense, Control to me seems much more chaotic and moody. There's also definitely lots of dialogue where I was hoping for something a little better than what seemed like a character archetype from Lemony Snicket's A tale of unfortunate events... but whatever. Seriously though, Ahti was such a cool character and I loved the tone that he set. I really wish many of the later characters could have continued that tone, rather than seem so... stereotypical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Will second this recommendation. Won't be my game of the year or anything, but I love that there are still studios that can put out a unique game like this. It was a ton of fun and full of really cool moments even though the story didn't grab me as much as I would have liked.

I hope this game gets some support. The developers have also road mapped a DLC strategy for the next year with 3 additional downloads coming. One even ties the world of Control to a previous game they did - Alan Wake.
I think both games are very good games, but I kinda wish Control was a little more better developed in the way it portrays the theme. As mentioned earlier, I felt Alan Wake was tense and mysterious. Control feels more chaotic, moody and badly timed deadpan. I really wish they could have focused a bit more on the mysterious and tense like they did in Alan Wake, or at least delve a little further into the horror side, but that's just my preference. I mean, it does start off with a really neat and dark theme. It just got kinda... sarcastic and weird by the end or something? Overall, this game is a damn well designed game conceptually. I have enjoyed it immensely even with some of the serious frame rate drops and miscellaneous bugs that I ran into while playing it on the PS4.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 11-07-2019, 07:29 AM   #1762
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am playing on Xbox One X and the framerate drops only really happen when you start moving after a checkpoint. It's not a total mess like Borderlands 3 (on Xbox One X) but there are moments where you wish they had a little more time to spend on optimization. Most games don't let you proceed into a mission without having the necessary power (or level) to complete it but this isn't one of those games as there were a few times I was butting my head against the wall trying to figure how to get to a certain area as I was doing some of the side missions a little early without say levitation.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 10:49 PM   #1763
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I am playing on Xbox One X and the framerate drops only really happen when you start moving after a checkpoint. It's not a total mess like Borderlands 3 (on Xbox One X) but there are moments where you wish they had a little more time to spend on optimization. Most games don't let you proceed into a mission without having the necessary power (or level) to complete it but this isn't one of those games as there were a few times I was butting my head against the wall trying to figure how to get to a certain area as I was doing some of the side missions a little early without say levitation.
The boss battle frame rates are always good, but some of the director optional quests get bad. I also agree that immediately after a checkpoint is also at times bad.

I agree that it was super weird that there are move sets that you can unlock, but the game essentially treats those missions as "optional". I did the same thing with levitation. I don't know why the game doesn't make it a mandatory mission before certain other missions pop up.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #1764
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone play Death Stranding yet?
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:21 AM   #1765
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchBite View Post
Anyone play Death Stranding yet?
I'm excited that this game exists, as it looks very unique.
I don't think I'll ever play it, as it does not look like it's any fun to play.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #1766
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Outer Worlds is fun, fun, fun.

Calgary was sold out, but I found a copy in Banff.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #1767
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post

Hah, that's my concern exactly right now. It looks great, and different, but a lot of the reviews are calling it a walking simulator.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #1768
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Haha same here. I look forward to checking out some gameplay videos since I still have no damn idea wtf is even going on or what the game is about
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:18 AM   #1769
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have RDR2 playing pretty well. I have a GTX 1080 that's obviously not going to let me max out settings but hoping to improve things a bit. I've updated my card to the latest driver and also had the GForce experience "optimize" the settings.

Issue I'm seeing is many cut scenes have...stuttering?...on the bottom 3rd of the screen. The same stuttering can show up when walking around, trying to loot bodies or searching through cabinets....it's cutting out some of the picture and isn't showing the options that come up unless I pan the camera to a certain angle.

But the most troublesome issue is hitting esc and having the menu screen slide down, I'm missing almost the entire thing. Options are clickable but can't see them.

Any thoughts? I think I may have Gforce experience revert back to original settings. It wasn't doing this first time I played I don't think.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #1770
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^I've experienced that as well, but luckily only on the pause menu. Reading online the recent patch looks like it fixed it for most people but I still get it, although not as bad or often.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #1771
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchBite View Post
Hah, that's my concern exactly right now. It looks great, and different, but a lot of the reviews are calling it a walking simulator.
Apparently if you have ever dreamed of being a courier this is the game you have been waiting for.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #1772
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Haha same here. I look forward to checking out some gameplay videos since I still have no damn idea wtf is even going on or what the game is about
Here's a full delivery in the game from start to finish

I still had no idea WTF was going on after watching that, so I read the synopsis on Wikipedia and it just sounds ridiculous. It'll be a pass from me
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #1773
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm a massive fan of the Metal Gear Solid series but that was about as much Kojima weirdness I could handle. Now we have a game that's built entirely on Kojima weirdness, I'm not so sure that it's for me
Old 11-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #1774
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Outer Worlds is fun, fun, fun.

Calgary was sold out, but I found a copy in Banff.
It's on Game Pass by the way.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #1775
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anybody here stream? Always looking to follow some local small streamers.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #1776
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

From what I've watched, Death Stranding looks like it might be the least fun game ever made.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 12:40 PM   #1777
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
From what I've watched, Death Stranding looks like it might be the least fun game ever made.
Certainly seems like you play it for the narrative and uniqueness, and not for the actual gameplay
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #1778
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's certainly not a game for everyone.

Hell, I really enjoyed Gone Home and Life is Strange and they are both really just interactive narratives. A lot of people simply hate them.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #1779
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked those too but they didn't have 60 hours of long winded fetch quests jammed in between the story
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #1780
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

My youngest got a headset for the PS4 today so he could talk to his friends while playing Fortnite. He was yelling a lot so I went in, took off one of my socks, and told him if he did not stop screaming into that thing I would make him sniff my stinky sock. The little bugger grabbed the sock, held it to his nose, took a big sniff, threw it back at me and said "there, now get lost! "
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: