Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #1701
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
WrestleMania 36 is going to go down as one of the most spectacular disasters in modern history.
I for one am excited for it regardless of how the card turns out. Two nights of distraction during these tough times is much needed.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #1702
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Thought the Matt Hardy/Jericho segment that closed Dynamite last night was just okay. The teleportation bits is the type of goofy #### I love about wrestling. The in-ring promos weren't great.

That said, Jericho cutting a promo on a freaking drone (Vanguard 1) and it being absolutely hilarious is another example of why he's the GOAT.
I thought the exact same thing about that Vanguard promo. I was howling when he called a drone a "piece of ####".
Old 03-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #1703
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I for one am excited for it regardless of how the card turns out. Two nights of distraction during these tough times is much needed.
I actually kind of give both AEW and WWE a bit of credit for keeping things going as much as possible.

I do hope both companies take a little more risk and try things out of the ordinary. With events all being taped/minimal crew that is where you can try more goofy/campy stuff like Hardy teleporting.

Do more of that in the meantime for sure.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #1704
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish the WWE would just die already.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 01:13 PM   #1705
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Why?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #1706
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

HAHAHA so bad its brilliant

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 04:57 PM   #1707
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cheezy stuff like that is what wrestling needs to get back to.

Attitude era was great, but it was actually that cheezy "Ruthless Aggression" era right after with "Lie Cheat Steal Eddie Guerrerro, Team ECK (Kurt, Edge, Christian), Rapper John Cena, JBL, Evolution, that was probably the best era of the WWE from the standpoint of being entertaining in the ring, and also fun storylines.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #1708
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When you go back at watch old NHL games, they are almost unwatchable from a certain era or time period. The modern game is just so much better.

when you go back and watch old WWF shows, it's painful how bad the WWF product of the last 15 years has been.

Giving away free network access was maybe a bad idea IMO. It hasn't made me fan of the new product at all, but hot damn do I miss actually good prowrestling, more than i have in years and years.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:53 AM   #1709
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You got me thinking about this Flash. I think its no secret that I'm a huge fan of wrestling history. Its amazing to follow from its start in the Carny world where they retained the language right to its rise as what was a very guarded fixed sport.

I was raised on Stampede Wrestling, I loved it because it was easy to suspend disbelief. I mean fight down to the rules about heels and faces not being seen together, the protecting of Kayfabe. Scripting it to feel as feel as possible. My dad is a very smart man, well read, very creative, but he had this blind spot when it came to wrestling, he firmly believed that while the results might be pre-determined, the action was real and these guys were pounding the crap out of each other. But when you have a guy like Stu training these guys in a manner that looks legit, its mission accomplished.

I remember growing up and watching Stampede Wrestling, and All Star wrestling out of Vancouver. I didn't watch a lot of WWF at the time because the shows were so different, they were complete squash matches and the characters were actual character. We had vikings, and savages from Africa, and Space Men and rockstars. It wasn't my thing.

We didn't get a lot of WCW or NWA up here back then, but when I go back and watch the NWA tapes so to speak, it was better wrestling, worse story telling.

When WWE bought Stampeded Wrestling, I was excited to see the change. I remember that a couple of weeks later I saw the debut of Bret Hart and the hero of Stampede Wrestling was there looking nothing like a WWF wrestler, in his plain Black Trunks, and he was skinny and pasty. I remember I thought that Neidhart was going to be the Star of the two. The Bulldogs looked awesome they were already juiced.

I remember seeing the debut of the Hart Foundation and looking in disbelief as they were villains. But you could see the influence of Stampede Wrestling in their matches. I remember the Wrestlemania match with the Bulldogs and Ozzy Osborne in their corner winning the Tag Team Champions using a move that probably caused a ton of damage to Dynamite. I remember the rise of the Foundation. I remember seeing Bad New's Allen, and Bill Kazmier (sp?) and all of these Stampede alumni taking over, and their matches were just so much better then everyone elses.

I think what fails for me with Modern Wrestling is its not spontaneous, its too scripted, and when you combine that with the loss of Kayfabe, the whole thing feels too paint by numbers, too polished and too scripted. I think for wrestling to work you have to be able to suspend your knowledge for an hour that this is fake. I think if you know its fake and your grinding on peoples lack of pushes, or bad matches, it pulls you out of the product.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:08 AM   #1710
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
HAHAHA so bad its brilliant

If they do not start coming out to this then they have missed out huge.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #1711
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
I think what fails for me with Modern Wrestling is its not spontaneous, its too scripted, and when you combine that with the loss of Kayfabe, the whole thing feels too paint by numbers, too polished and too scripted. I think for wrestling to work you have to be able to suspend your knowledge for an hour that this is fake. I think if you know its fake and your grinding on peoples lack of pushes, or bad matches, it pulls you out of the product.
This is what I like about indy wrestling.

It's less scripted, you have the face/heel dynamic and the good ones are great with the crowd.

For example, the brief exchange here. The heel just lost a 2 out of 3 falls match, where the final fall was as a result of botched interference (another heel meant to hit the face with a belt but hit the heel).

Although sometimes scripted works. I may or may not have come up with the exchange at the start.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #1712
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You got me thinking about this Flash. I think its no secret that I'm a huge fan of wrestling history. Its amazing to follow from its start in the Carny world where they retained the language right to its rise as what was a very guarded fixed sport.

I was raised on Stampede Wrestling, I loved it because it was easy to suspend disbelief. I mean fight down to the rules about heels and faces not being seen together, the protecting of Kayfabe. Scripting it to feel as feel as possible. My dad is a very smart man, well read, very creative, but he had this blind spot when it came to wrestling, he firmly believed that while the results might be pre-determined, the action was real and these guys were pounding the crap out of each other. But when you have a guy like Stu training these guys in a manner that looks legit, its mission accomplished.

I remember growing up and watching Stampede Wrestling, and All Star wrestling out of Vancouver. I didn't watch a lot of WWF at the time because the shows were so different, they were complete squash matches and the characters were actual character. We had vikings, and savages from Africa, and Space Men and rockstars. It wasn't my thing.

We didn't get a lot of WCW or NWA up here back then, but when I go back and watch the NWA tapes so to speak, it was better wrestling, worse story telling.

When WWE bought Stampeded Wrestling, I was excited to see the change. I remember that a couple of weeks later I saw the debut of Bret Hart and the hero of Stampede Wrestling was there looking nothing like a WWF wrestler, in his plain Black Trunks, and he was skinny and pasty. I remember I thought that Neidhart was going to be the Star of the two. The Bulldogs looked awesome they were already juiced.

I remember seeing the debut of the Hart Foundation and looking in disbelief as they were villains. But you could see the influence of Stampede Wrestling in their matches. I remember the Wrestlemania match with the Bulldogs and Ozzy Osborne in their corner winning the Tag Team Champions using a move that probably caused a ton of damage to Dynamite. I remember the rise of the Foundation. I remember seeing Bad New's Allen, and Bill Kazmier (sp?) and all of these Stampede alumni taking over, and their matches were just so much better then everyone elses.

Just my 2 cents.
Part of it is the scripted nature.

I stopped watching wrestling maybe a decade ago because the WWF product is just absolute ####, but I would still go to my local promotions and watch the big event from larger 'indies' I'd watch TNA matches, japan, etc. When Lucha Underground started up, I was on board, but eventually I had the same issues with it that I did with the WWF product.

In my opinion, the scripted nature itself isn't the issue, it's that it exposes the lack of ability of today's crop of wrestlers.

I don't want to sound like a curmudgeon, but the overall ability of wreslters today to tell stories and communicate emotions during matches just doesn't really exist anymore. I think the best thing that AEW does now is letting matches and angles breathe.

The best wrestling match I've watched in the last decade is probably that Sasha Banks/Bailey NXT title match, which to me showed that you CAN capture that lost element of wrestling gone-by, but it requires long term planning, investment and trust in the stars.

WWF wrestlers are gymnasts now, and it's just not entertaining. A bunch of flippy ####, a ton of moves that don't land or make contact, horrible presentation to cut away from all those moments that don't connect....

I dunno, it would be one thing if it just wasn't possible to recreate that magic, but when I see AEW doing it, and I see glimpses of it in some of the NXT stuff, it becomes clear the WWF doesn't do it because they don't want to.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #1713
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Okay with thousands of people being out of work because you don't like Vince and his politics? That's nice of you to ask for that.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:51 PM   #1714
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Okay with thousands of people being out of work because you don't like Vince and his politics? That's nice of you to ask for that.

Wrestling fans are ridiculous.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #1715
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Final Wrestlemania 36 two night card with predictions.

Women's Tag Team Championship: The Kabuki Warriors (c) vs. Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross

This should be a pretty good match, but the Woman's tag belts have kind of faded and they maybe need to refresh the division. Plus Asuka and Sane have done enough with the belts, and its time for them to go back to singles

Winners Bliss and Cross

Otis vs. Dolph Ziggler

This has been a nifty little feud and Otis has done a good job of adding edge to his character. Plus I can see a mixed feud with Otis and Mandy on one side and Ziggler and the desperately needs a push Deville on the other

Winner Otis.

Aleister Black vs. Bobby Lashley

We're finally seeing a long awaited push for Black, and Lashley is just flat and has nothing to do. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lashley as a spending casualty in the annual post wrestlemania releases.

Winner Black

Elias vs. King Corbin

Ok, I thought that Corbin had literally murdered Elias. But trust me when I say that this match is all about Gronk pushing off his career with a feud against Corbin. Look for Gronk to help Elias get the win.

Winner Elias

Raw Tag Team Championship: The Street Profits (c) vs. Angel Garza & Austin Theory

This could be the outright show stealer of the night, as the Street Profits are so entertaining, and this is a match without a story line due to the injury to Andrade. I doubt they're going to switch the championship

Winner Street Profits

SmackDown Tag Team Championship (Ladder Match): The Miz & John Morrison (c) vs. The New Day vs. The Usos

This match is going to fall flat for me because the Miz works an audience so well and there's no audience. I don't see a reason to take the belts off of M+M.

Winners Miz and Morrison

Intercontinental Championship: Sami Zayn (c) vs. Daniel Bryan

Zayn has been so entertaining that its hard to see them take the belt off of him, but Gulak and Bryan have something really cool going on, and you can see them clashing for the title.

Winner Bryan

Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins

Owen's has been fantastic as of late, and a Owen's win would serve to lengthen a pretty good feud with Rollins becoming completely unhinged.

Winner Owen

SmackDown Women's Championship: Bayley (c) vs. Sasha Banks vs. Naomi vs. Lacey Evans vs. Tamina (Fatal 5-Way Elimination Match

Poor Bayley, while she's been a decent heel she's been over shadowed by Banks. So here's the hamster wheel. Banks is going to eliminate Bayley, then Bayley is going to screw over Banks and we're finally going to get a unhinged Bayley vs Banks feud. I expect they're going to put the belt on Lacey, who's not ready for prime time

Winner Lacey.

NXT Women's Championship: Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Charlotte Flair

I'm honestly not a fan of Charlotte, I think she has too many of her dad's bad habits in that she wrestles the same match every ppv. Ripley is super hot right now and I can't see them putting the NXT belt on Flair.

Winner Ripley

Raw Women's Championship: Becky Lynch (c) vs. Shayna Baszler

I have high hopes for this match because I'm a fan of Baszler's style. I also think that Becky has been flat as a champion as the Man almost comes across as entitled instead of as the scrappy pissed off everyone gave up on me warrior. She's got back to trying to be a bit too cute with her promo's. Meanwhile Baszler was set up with her destroying everyone in the elimination chamber. I said below that I feel that the Woman's division is flat, it needs a change.

Winner Baszler.

Edge vs. Randy Orton (Last Man Standing Match)

This has been a terrific story line, and it's set up as a brutal grudge match, but there's no way that Edge is going to lose in his first singles match in forever.

Winner Edge

John Cena vs. "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt (Firefly Funhouse Match)

I honestly think that this is it for John for a long time in the WWE, he's already changed his look and slimmed down for Hollywood, and he has nothing left to do but be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Bray has been booked into oblivion, and if anyone needs a win its Bray or the fiend or whatever. This is John doing the time honored passing the torch without the hug at the end.

Winner The Fiend.

The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles (Boneyard Match)

What in the blue hell is a Boneyard match? Nobody knows. Look AJ is looking to move to part time status, and Undertaker shouldn't be wrestling, he and Goldberg nearly killed each other in SA. This is about giving UT a meaningful win and for AJ to move to a part time schedule.

WWE Championship: Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Drew McIntyre

This could be a surprisingly good physical match, but its time to put the belt on a full timer, and with the falling ratings the WWE needs to switch things up. Drew finally lives up to the chosen one status

Winner Drew

Universal Championship: Goldberg (c) vs. Braun Strowman

This was supposed to be Reign's coronation, but he wisely decided to stay home and not take a chance with the virus. Goldberg was here for a short nostalgia run and he can barely work. Look for Braun who has lost all of his momentum a long time ago to be a care taker champion until Reigns gets back. Look for this match to last all of 3 minutes.

Winner Braun

Old 04-03-2020, 11:44 PM   #1716
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What in the blue hell is a Boneyard match? Nobody knows.
Quote:
Styles admitted that even he was wondering what a Boneyard Match was at first. He indicated that they're not calling it a Graveyard Match or a Buried Alive Match because of what's going on around the world.

"There's a reason why I think it's called a Boneyard Match," Styles said. "Because we didn't want to say cemetery or a graveyard. You know, everything that's going on, it sucks. Boneyard is slang for graveyard, it really is."
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...th-the-668457/
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #1717
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I think AJ is wrong, at least partially. Boneyard is a pirate term for a graveyard and that was the original theme of WM as it was supposed to be Raymond James Stadium, home of the Buccaneers and has a giant pirate ship on one end of the stadium. Perhaps they stuck with boneyard for the reasons AJ suggests, but I have to believe it was going to be called that all along.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #1718
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fun little opening match with Bliss and Cross against the Kabuki Warriors. Asuka is just a total form or entertainment on her own. Lots of effort in this match, pretty fun

2 1/2 stars out of 5, which isn't a bad mark for an opener, it wasn't a technical show case.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #1719
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Cross and Bliss looked like they genuienly were crying when they won, love little moments like that.

Old 04-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #1720
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Elias defeats King Corbin.

If anything this is a match between two workers with unfulfilled potential. Corbin should be better then he is because he does so many little details well. Elias is a decent performer but their gimmicks don't work. When I talk about Crobin doing little things well, an example of this is that instead of playing to a non existent crowd or a camera Corbin played to the commentary team and it was brilliant. This was a decent match but really didn't have the heat it needed or intensity. The star of the match was Jessika Carr who had a great running dialogue with Corbin

2 out of 5 stars.

Up next Baszler against Lynch (C)