Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #241
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So they found a random damaged boat and assumed it was these guys?
I don't think the RCMP are assuming anything. Its the people in this thread and facebook etc that are making assumptions.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #242
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So they found a random damaged boat and assumed it was these guys?
I wouldn't say assumed. They were just investigating the possibility that they maybe used it.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #243
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The RCMP have announced they found several items on Friday linked to the suspects on a shoreline 9 km from where the burnt out vehicle was found.

Last edited by Inferno; 08-06-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #244
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The question is whether these items have appeared recently, or just been found recently.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #245
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I guess that's useful for establishing direction but 9KM... that's probably just a 3 or 4 hour hike right? They're probably dead from the elements.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #246
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I guess that's useful for establishing direction but 9KM... that's probably just a 3 or 4 hour hike right? They're probably dead from the elements.
Unless there is a big climb or heavy bushwhacking involved I would expect 9km to take 1.5-2 hrs.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #247
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can walk 9km on a road in 1.5h if you are moving at a decent fast walk. I highly, highly doubt travel through that terrain is that easy. You could go all day and not make 9km.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #248
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done quite a bit of bushwhacking in my time. Depending on the thickness and type of brush, 500 metres can take 1.5-2 hours.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #249
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I've done quite a bit of bushwhacking in my time. Depending on the thickness and type of brush, 500 metres can take 1.5-2 hours.
Oh yeah, easily.

I read a WW2 survival guide before and it describes a recommended technique for bushwhacking. It said the best chance for survival was to go slowly and not for distance. Basically a few hours a day and then camp. It said the biggest mistake people make is not making time for food and sleep. It said you can live for several weeks in a forest if you conserve energy, but could die in days if you over exert yourself.

They recommended setting aside at least 1-2 hours of daylight to forage food and the same amount of time for making something to sleep on has you can get sick really fast by sleeping in just the cold, damp ground. It also said that you will burn too many calories if you travel at night. That basically just gives you a few hours per day to travel. A good chunk of the other time, you need to secure your necessities.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-06-2019 at 07:23 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 12:01 AM   #250
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:
Default Two B.C. fugitives probably 'hit the road a long time ago,’ Mantracker and Survivorma

Quote:
Les Stroud, the Canadian survivalist known as ‘Survivorman’ and Terry Grant, a cowboy known as ‘Mantracker,’ think the reason the search for Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, who would’ve turned 19 on Aug. 4, has dragged on is because the suspects aren’t hiding in the woods in Manitoba.

“I haven’t heard anyone say we’ve seen them go into the woods with an axe and banana, no one ever said that,” Grant said.

“I’m half thinking they met someone in a big town … and they’re long gone to Texas or the Bahamas.”

The RCMP have admitted they don’t know where the triple murder suspects are, but their efforts have zeroed in on Gillam, Man., a bog-ridden, isolated town with roughly 1,265 people — the last place they were seen.

The most recent search was Sunday when a dive team scoured the Nelson River but came up empty. Police revealed on Tuesday they had found items linked to the suspects on the shore Friday but would not say what they were.
Quote:
“We have to be open to all possibilities,” read a statement from Cpl. Chris Manseau, a media relations officer with the B.C. RCMP.

“As for me to speculate on them crossing an international border, I would suggest that it’s a possibility, however we have to continue searching near their last confirmed sighting.”

Grant also said McLeod and Schmegelsky could have gone south but believes the chances of them entering the U.S. are a “two out of 10.”
Quote:
Grant noted the rush of phone calls to police about alleged sightings of McLeod and Schmegelsky in Northern Ontario but thinks it’s too late for them to be in the province.

“Either they’ve been helped by someone, maybe they got to Winnipeg and stayed there, out of sight and now they’re heading east now that the heat is off,” he said.

“But if I was them, I would’ve been heading east about two days after the army moved into Gillam because that’s where the police and the whole army thinks they’re up there, so the last place they’re going to look for them is Northern Ontario … how they’ve got anywhere is beyond me.”
Quote:
If the suspects died in the woods, Grant says their bones may not ever leave the dense Manitoban brush.

“If they’ve gone in there, four to 10 km deep and expired, they may never be found,” he said.

“All those guys had to do was go eight kilometres in or around the lake, expire over there. The animals would make most of them disappear and their bodies would just go back into the ground.”
Quote:
Grant hopes the duo are still in the woods, where the RCMP are searching.

“If they’re not in that bush, we have to wait for somebody else to get hurt,” he said.
https://calgaryherald.com/news/canad...4-e814b1b7a71f
Old 08-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #251
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

What a dumb bunch of quotes. It makes them sound at first like they think they're long gone. Possibly to Texas or Bahamas? Yeah, ok. They drove north from the island, killed people up near the border to Yukon, only to F-off sideways, and then south, to become fugitives?

Then they speculate they're further east. Ok, that's possible, except that they would have had to circle back from Gillam, which is a dead end highway.

Then they talk about being dead in the bush and nobody ever finding the bodies. Ok. Thanks for the fresh new outlook.

I used to watch Mantracker. The guy isn't a dope. That bunch of quotes has to be either taken out of order or out of context. It sounds like the meandering speculation of a drunk Oilers reporter trying to explain a bad season.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 01:06 AM   #252
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chances are these guys hitchhiked out of the area days ago.
Helen Keller died years ago
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:17 AM   #253
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Plus he doesn't even reduce his fractions.. pffft.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #254
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure how to embed tweets but major announcement coming

Tweet
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:43 PM   #255
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

They dead.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #256
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They dead.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #257
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be a bit anti-climatic.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #258
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It would be a bit anti-climatic.
but hilarious nonetheless
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:52 PM   #259
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Why would it be hilarious if they're dead?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #260
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be great if they were captured alive so the families can actually get some answers.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post: