Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #1361
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

in the last year or so, there's been more and more coverage of Warframe...

i saw it in the PS store way back at launch; looked interesting, but got tepid reviews... fascinatingly, it somehow carved out a niche, and 6-7 years later it is been consistently in the Steam top 10 played for months

digging into the story was fascinating... a small firm in London Ont of less than 150-175 +/- at the time has created something better than most AAA studios.

the craziest thing of all? It's free to play. And Fair free to play at that...Worth checking out if you are interested

Doc:

review that got me interested
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #1362
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I’m shocked people still buy them. Honest to God I can’t believe it. It is essentially an $80 roster update. People are sheep.
I haven't bought it for probably 3-4 years since I got EA Access. I just play the 10 hour trial and then play the previous year until it's available to download.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #1363
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I’m shocked people still buy them. Honest to God I can’t believe it. It is essentially an $80 roster update. People are sheep.
The bastards know how to get me, it comes out in early September right when I'm the most desperate for hockey.

That said last year I only got it because of a cheap pre-order deal, and this year it looks like I'll be opting out. I don't play online and that's where all their focus goes, so screw it, I'm out

Last edited by btimbit; 08-05-2019 at 06:29 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #1364
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #1365
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I've been signing the praises of the Nvidia Shield as a retro gaming system for a long time, but the one thing it lacked compared to a Retropie setup was a nice front end for all of your games. The Arc Browser launcher was a good effort, but lacked the features and polish of the more advanced Retropie themes. The recent update though brought in an Arcade UI, which pretty much brings it up to par

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #1366
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Journey releases on iOS phone and iPad.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #1367
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Journey releases on iOS phone and iPad.
My secret shame is that I didn't understand Journey. I played it when it came out, and game reviewers were calling it life-changing and all that. One of them actually said it made them cry.

I played through the whole thing and didn't know what I was doing for a moment of it and then it ended and I remained confused. I feel like I missed something.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #1368
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
My secret shame is that I didn't understand Journey. I played it when it came out, and game reviewers were calling it life-changing and all that. One of them actually said it made them cry.

I played through the whole thing and didn't know what I was doing for a moment of it and then it ended and I remained confused. I feel like I missed something.
It's very overrated in my opinion.

Great game that is very unique and definitely worth playing, but I never understood the life changing claims or how it could make anybody cry.

Spoiler!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #1369
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The bastards know how to get me, it comes out in early September right when I'm the most desperate for hockey.

That said last year I only got it because of a cheap pre-order deal, and this year it looks like I'll be opting out. I don't play online and that's where all their focus goes, so screw it, I'm out
That's where I'm at with Madden. They do nothing new with Franchise Mode every year so I'm done giving them $80 for a game that I get maybe $30 worth of enjoyment out of. I'd much rather just pay the $20/year for Basic Origin access and get the game for free 6 months later.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #1370
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Video Game Thread v3

Xbox One X Gears of War 5 Special Edition ($599.99)

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-07-2019 at 04:43 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #1371
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post

While I wouldn't say it's a life changing game, it certainly was a great experience and opened my eyes to different ways games could tell a story and make you connect with people. Considering it's all done without text or voice, it's very impressive. It also helps that the visuals and music are amazing.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #1372
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
While I wouldn't say it's a life changing game, it certainly was a great experience and opened my eyes to different ways games could tell a story and make you connect with people. Considering it's all done without text or voice, it's very impressive. It also helps that the visuals and music are amazing.
I could have done with some text or voices to explain this awesome story everybody keeps going on about. I think bax made a big point above: I didn't run into anybody while playing, and I'm guessing that's a keystone to the whole thing coming together. I saw a couple other characters I think but they were just screwing around so I figured they were NPCs and moved on.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #1373
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've been signing the praises of the Nvidia Shield as a retro gaming system for a long time, but the one thing it lacked compared to a Retropie setup was a nice front end for all of your games. The Arc Browser launcher was a good effort, but lacked the features and polish of the more advanced Retropie themes. The recent update though brought in an Arcade UI, which pretty much brings it up to par
Oh my! I must have this
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathalete For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #1374
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just picked up AC Odyssey and I'm not sure what to think. The character animations are old gen, the voice acting is quite lame, and it does very little to integrate you into the gameplay and story from the start. All that, and it feels super arcadey.

I really want to like this game because of its setting and open world, but wow does it just feel 'cheap'. I'm an hour in and not feeling it at all. When does the game get good, or does it?

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 09:43 PM   #1375
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I just picked up AC Odyssey and I'm not sure what to think. The character animations are old gen, the voice acting is quite lame, and it does very little to integrate you into the gameplay and story from the start. All that, and it feels super arcadey.

I really want to like this game because of its setting and open world, but wow does it just feel 'cheap'. I'm an hour in and not feeling it at all. When does the game get good, or does it?
I had a similar experience. The game just couldn't draw me in at all, then add the repetitive gameplay and I just couldn't do it. Which is a shame because I love the setting
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:59 AM   #1376
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I bailed on AC: Origins for similar reasons. Though, I think, primarily due to open world fatigue.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #1377
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

So minecraft is only a little addicting hey...
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #1378
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
So minecraft is only a little addicting hey...
Why is there such a huge increase in the popularity of Minecraft all of a sudden. I get it was always popular but its big on Twitch and youtube recently.

Minecraft is only as good as you make it, those expecting the game to create the narrative will be bored and disappointed, those with imagination and creativity can play forever.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:27 PM   #1379
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Why is there such a huge increase in the popularity of Minecraft all of a sudden. I get it was always popular but its big on Twitch and youtube recently.

Minecraft is only as good as you make it, those expecting the game to create the narrative will be bored and disappointed, those with imagination and creativity can play forever.
I'm not sure, but the reason why I play it is because my good gaming friend, and my brother are playing it, so its an easy choice for me. The game is a combination of 2007 runescape and lego, two things that I have sunken endless hours into.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #1380
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

This is exactly how I felt. I paid 60 dollars for the game and can't seem to get more than 2 hours into it.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote