Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #101
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Presumably. Still surprised me how close they are.
Also, despite being ~400% taller than the Bow, the building floor area is only 65% more. There are other favorable factors for the Burj Khalifa as well, such as being built in the middle of an open space, instead of in the tight confines of a city block.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #102
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So I was doing some reading on Wiki... the Bow cost about ~$1.4B, Burj Khalifa was ~$1.5B.
Wouldn't work here anyway. Too much shadowing or something wierd like that.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #103
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoa, how did I not venture into this thread until now, great stuff. As it turns out I work for a Commercial Real Estate Brokerage in Suburban and Beltline Office Leasing and we list quite a few of these properties. Our Downtown group lists a large number of the Downtown Properties as well, including the crown jewel Eighth Avenue Place.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #104
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Also, despite being ~400% taller than the Bow, the building floor area is only 65% more. There are other favorable factors for the Burj Khalifa as well, such as being built in the middle of an open space, instead of in the tight confines of a city block.
The Bow is a fat, fat, fatty.

Last edited by SebC; 06-12-2012 at 05:14 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #105
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I am assuming we'll see Osteria take its place again at the base of the building, the development company's name is the last name of the owners of Osteria.

Access (for vehicles) is definitely one of the big challenges with the site, it will be interesting to see what is proposed to help with the congestion in the one-way back alley to the north of the site. I could see them closing it to 10th street and making it an exit in and out via 10a street instead.
damn
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #106
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I was doing some reading on Wiki... the Bow cost about ~$1.4B, Burj Khalifa was ~$1.5B.
I bet the Bow is at least $500M over budget too. Final number could be close to $2B, but we'll probably never know for sure.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #107
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Access (for vehicles) is definitely one of the big challenges with the site, it will be interesting to see what is proposed to help with the congestion in the one-way back alley to the north of the site. I could see them closing it to 10th street and making it an exit in and out via 10a street instead.

It's a safe bet the residents of 10A will fight like hell to stop that one. Here's hoping they win.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #108
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
It's a safe bet the residents of 10A will fight like hell to stop that one. Here's hoping they win.
But the alley access will be just south of the 10A street barrier, so it won't allow traffic to head north on 10A, only south to Kensington road.

Of course this is all just me thinking out loud, it will be interesting to see how they deal with the access.

Last edited by Bigtime; 06-12-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #109
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The Bow is a fat, fat, fatty.
Oh really?

You've never mentioned that.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #110
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
That thing must be all elevators. Hard to make money on space you can't rent out. They might care more about things like that now that they've gotten bailed out by Abu Dhabi.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #111
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nm
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #112
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
That thing must be all elevators. Hard to make money on space you can't rent out. They might care more about things like that now that they've gotten bailed out by Abu Dhabi.
It helps that the building tapers. Also it has 42 stories of empty space at the top.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #113
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
It's true. I was up "at the top" last week and there are still 60 or so floors above you. The floor you get to go onto probably has less floor space than the Calgary Tower viewing deck.

Amazing view though!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #114
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The old West Canadian building on 8th street and 10th avenue SW will be the home of the next project by Vancouver based Qualex-Landmark. The project is called 'Mark on Tenth' and will feature 270 units in a 34 floor building.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...#ixzz1yYK4qXBA
Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #115
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The old West Canadian building on 8th street and 10th avenue SW will be the home of the next project by Vancouver based Qualex-Landmark. The project is called 'Mark on Tenth' and will feature 270 units in a 34 floor building.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...#ixzz1yYK4qXBA
This is 34 stories?

Looks like 11 or 12.
Did they upload the wrong rendering?

Nevermind, I see the 2nd photo now.

More photos on Flickr

Last edited by Regulator75; 06-22-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Duhhhh
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #116
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, they state under the picture that is a rendering of Calla by Qualex-Landmark. I see how it could confuse people though.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #117
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the second photo is actually Luna on 12th Ave. No rendering of "The Mark".
Old 06-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #118
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
And the second photo is actually Luna on 12th Ave. No rendering of "The Mark".
I thought it looked familiar.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #119
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the update on Mark - I was wondering how tall it was going to have to be to fit 270 units.

Bah, I'm grumpy - I know the economics likely don't support this, but I'd love to see some bigger units for families being built - 3 bedrooms for example. 800 sq foot, 2 bedroom units just don't cut it for me. There are a handful of units that are a good size in older buildings, but not very many. We're okay in 2 bdm, den condo right now with one kid, but who knows if/when we have a second kid.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #120
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Thanks for the update on Mark - I was wondering how tall it was going to have to be to fit 270 units.

Bah, I'm grumpy - I know the economics likely don't support this, but I'd love to see some bigger units for families being built - 3 bedrooms for example. 800 sq foot, 2 bedroom units just don't cut it for me. There are a handful of units that are a good size in older buildings, but not very many. We're okay in 2 bdm, den condo right now with one kid, but who knows if/when we have a second kid.
Would you be willing to pay the same price per square foot for the extra space? Because I bet there are some builders selling pre-construction right now who would be willing to combine 2 units into one for you. You'd think they would, since a 3 bed 2 bath has one less kitchen than a 2 bed 1 bath and a 1 bed 1 bath, so they could recoup some of the reconfigure costs on less costly finishings.

If you're not willing to pay the incremental money for a 1200 ft2 unit, then you've just discovered why none/very few are currently available.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote