Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 21 6.29%
Arnold 18 5.39%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 1 0.30%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Gilmour 0 0%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 2 0.60%
Kanzig 3 0.90%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 143 42.81%
Mangiapane 1 0.30%
McDonald 31 9.28%
Morrison 16 4.79%
Ollas Mattson 1 0.30%
Rafikov 1 0.30%
Sieloff 3 0.90%
Smith 7 2.10%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 86 25.75%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #21
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with Mason McDonald. Hard to predict but so far he's trending to be a possible future #1 goalie. With Ortio and Gillies in the system he gets overlooked imo. Considered Wotherspoon but I don't see more than a bottom pairing defenseman. Kylington has a lot of upside, but I need to see more before I vote for a guy that went 60th overall in this years draft. Morrison is the mix as well.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #22
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Call me crazy but I have a good feeling about Smith. Like his attitude from what I have seen and he could have a Massive Massive impact on this team in his position. He is the only player in the system that brings his game on the RH RW.

we could really use a Blake Wheeler kinda guy.
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shotinthebacklund For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #23
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington just because of his upside.

However, there are so many guys that can still launch themselves into the top 5 next season.

Of course Kylington, but Andersson as well. Was a toss-up between those two.

MacDonald thus far is trending quickly in the right direction, and we will all get a better chance to view him after the WJC tournament.

Mangiapane - what if he does end up leading the O in scoring next season?

Wotherspoon - it is so very hard to keep picking players ahead of him. He could be a very good top 4 defencemen.

Smith could be a huge force up front - not the traditional top 6 type of guy, but a huge guy that can impose his will on the game and offer solid 2-way play and has hands that won't kill-off his own team's offence when he does get thrown into the top 6 for some added size/injury replacement.

Morrisson is barely talked about, but he has the potential to not only be a very solid top 4 defencemen, but a huge weapon on the PP as well.

The list goes on.

I thought last season with all the depth the Flames had, I thought this was already difficult. This season? Even tougher as there is so much legitimate talent in the organization.

Look at how many prospects look to have top 4 D (and top pairing!!) ceilings left? That was our weakest position? Suddenly it seems like the strongest organizationally. There are still top 6 potential forwards left - though they are a bit less likely than what has been selected already of course.

For me, Kylington due to pure upside. The NHL seems to really favor defencemen that can really skate and that have the vision to create offence and make good passes. If Kylington can put a bit more size on (and he is NOT undersized IMO), and focuses more on his defensive acumen, he can be something really special for the Flames. I really think I have to pick him at this point.

Still a lot of guys I have left - including Culkin, Kulak, Carrol (kid is going to be a player for sure), Arnold (ditto - I don't see a better 4th line center organizationally for the kind of game he will end up bringing), Wolf looked decent (though a bit slow - but I am sure he will come to camp even better this year), Kanzig can be an absolute beast out there for the Flames (though many disagree - this kid seems to just take steps forward and is rumored to be the most dedicated and hard-working player from the entire organization), etc., etc.,

It was something when a Jooris last season shocked everyone. Now we are leaving the top 10, and there are still very legitimate prospects that I think most people feel "He will probably end up being a player, and a pretty valuable one too!", instead of "If everything goes right, hopefully he can be a solid depth guy".

Every season seems to bring a world of difference.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #24
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toss up between Kylington and Andersson.

Curious how we're voting in Kylington, yet flames brass drafted Andersson first
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #25
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that has a lot to do with Andersson being a safer pick. They probably see the low side as a mid pairing dman or third pairing with offensive upside. Kylington floor is probably a lot lower then that, but his upside is also greater than Andersson. I think they just opted for the safe pick and then when the opportunity came they took that swing for the fences.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #26
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have high hopes for Kylington. He has great wheels - but he is a project and needs lots of work. Not sure why he is getting so much love this early, but that is the beauty of these polls.

Went with Wotherspoon, who has really good upside and I think is poised to break out this year. He seems to be a bit forgotten.

I'm also surprised McDonald isn't getting more attention, his development is coming along really well, he has #1 upside and stands a good chance to be Canada's starting goaltender at the U-20's.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #27
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wotherspoon over Arnold.

after Gaudreau and Hayes made the jump straight into the NHL last year hard to imagine that their Centre would not be given an long hard NHL look.

Wotherspoon was read the riot act at the end of the playoffs.... He has an NHL roster spot to lose and the Flames have not picked up Diaz/Potter/Schlemko replacements.

In the 2013 WJC Wotherspoon did not look out of place playing with Dougie Hamilton.

Would be interesting if they end up playing well together.... Hard to break up Brodie-Gio and Wideman-Russell and Hamilton-Wotherspoon has more upside than Hamilton-Engelland.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #28
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think that has a lot to do with Andersson being a safer pick. They probably see the low side as a mid pairing dman or third pairing with offensive upside. Kylington floor is probably a lot lower then that, but his upside is also greater than Andersson. I think they just opted for the safe pick and then when the opportunity came they took that swing for the fences.
It is probably as simple as them viewing Andersson as being a better prospect than Kylington. Nothing else to it, they were willing to take the chance that they wouldn't get Kylington at all...
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #29
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Wotherspoon was read the riot act at the end of the playoffs....
Got a source on this... or is this just more random nonsense?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #30
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Wotherspoon over Arnold.

after Gaudreau and Hayes made the jump straight into the NHL last year hard to imagine that their Centre would not be given an long hard NHL look.

Wotherspoon was read the riot act at the end of the playoffs.... He has an NHL roster spot to lose and the Flames have not picked up Diaz/Potter/Schlemko replacements.

In the 2013 WJC Wotherspoon did not look out of place playing with Dougie Hamilton.

Would be interesting if they end up playing well together.... Hard to break up Brodie-Gio and Wideman-Russell and Hamilton-Wotherspoon has more upside than Hamilton-Engelland.
Been thinking about this as well.

It would be absolutely perfect for the Flames if Wotherspoon were able to jump up and become a pairing with Hamilton, creating a 2-2nd pairings situation with Wotherspoon/Hamilton and Russell/Wideman.

Not sure Wotherspoon is ready (or will get the chance) at this point, but if so, that would be excellent.

Giordano - Brodie
Wotherspoon - Hamilton
Russell - Wideman
Engelland

Minutes and situations could be managed accordingly
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #31
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Kylington just because of his upside.

However, there are so many guys that can still launch themselves into the top 5 next season.

Of course Kylington, but Andersson as well. Was a toss-up between those two.

MacDonald thus far is trending quickly in the right direction, and we will all get a better chance to view him after the WJC tournament.

Mangiapane - what if he does end up leading the O in scoring next season?

Wotherspoon - it is so very hard to keep picking players ahead of him. He could be a very good top 4 defencemen.

Smith could be a huge force up front - not the traditional top 6 type of guy, but a huge guy that can impose his will on the game and offer solid 2-way play and has hands that won't kill-off his own team's offence when he does get thrown into the top 6 for some added size/injury replacement.

Morrisson is barely talked about, but he has the potential to not only be a very solid top 4 defencemen, but a huge weapon on the PP as well.

The list goes on.

I thought last season with all the depth the Flames had, I thought this was already difficult. This season? Even tougher as there is so much legitimate talent in the organization.

Look at how many prospects look to have top 4 D (and top pairing!!) ceilings left? That was our weakest position? Suddenly it seems like the strongest organizationally. There are still top 6 potential forwards left - though they are a bit less likely than what has been selected already of course.

For me, Kylington due to pure upside. The NHL seems to really favor defencemen that can really skate and that have the vision to create offence and make good passes. If Kylington can put a bit more size on (and he is NOT undersized IMO), and focuses more on his defensive acumen, he can be something really special for the Flames. I really think I have to pick him at this point.

Still a lot of guys I have left - including Culkin, Kulak, Carrol (kid is going to be a player for sure), Arnold (ditto - I don't see a better 4th line center organizationally for the kind of game he will end up bringing), Wolf looked decent (though a bit slow - but I am sure he will come to camp even better this year), Kanzig can be an absolute beast out there for the Flames (though many disagree - this kid seems to just take steps forward and is rumored to be the most dedicated and hard-working player from the entire organization), etc., etc.,

It was something when a Jooris last season shocked everyone. Now we are leaving the top 10, and there are still very legitimate prospects that I think most people feel "He will probably end up being a player, and a pretty valuable one too!", instead of "If everything goes right, hopefully he can be a solid depth guy".

Every season seems to bring a world of difference.

So many good prospects will not see the nhl with the Flames
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #32
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Smith! I think he will make the NHL as a bottom 6er, but the type of bottom 6er you notice every game. There are very few prospects like him out there

I would go Smith, Macdonald (huge upside), Morrison, Wotherspoon, Kylington, Andersson
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #33
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wotherspoon over McDonald for me. I think he has the pedigree, experience and opportunity to make it to the NHL and be a contributing member of the Flames this year. I don't think that can be said for the other players left on the list.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #34
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Got a source on this... or is this just more random nonsense?
are you always so obnoxious or you just are a tool on the internet?

link

Trevling:

Quote:
"As I said to him, ‘You have to come in with a mentality of winning a job. You’re getting a full summer. You’ve gotta get stronger and all the things that young players have to do. But you have to come in with the mentality of, I’m ripping one of these seven spots away.’

“And he’ll be ready. He will push come training camp.”

Not exactly we are happy with your progress blah, blah doing okay boiler point.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2015, 01:25 PM   #35
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
the title of the thread should be round 10...

voting OK for 9th straight time....
Same here. 9th time lucky it seems.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #36
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Same here. 9th time lucky it seems.
Just happy to be able to vote for someone else....next round is between Andersson, Morrison and Arnold for me....McDonald and Wotherspoon lurking as well
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #37
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm... not worth it

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 07-13-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #38
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kylingtons potential is greater than Anderson's which is why he is higher on the list.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #39
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not big on ranking based on potential.

I'm more about 70% results, 30% unachieved potential.

I think Morrison and Wotherspoon should be ranked above Kylington and other d-men for this reason. Kulak/Culkin are also developing well year over year and could use some recognition.

Bill Arnold and Kenny Agostino are looking great in a pro league as well. I'm happy to see our top-ten is basically NHL ready (except maybe Gillies/Hickey/Klimchuk). It's a more mature group of skilled prospects than we've had in my memory.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #40
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Flames are sure starting to get some depth in D prospects. Hamilton solves the depth on the big club issue but we've got some good potential coming up too:

Hickey
Wotherspoon
Kylington
Andersson
Rafikov
Along with Kanzig, Culkin, Kulak

Looking pretty good!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote