Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Models and Modeling

No, not like the Cindy Crawford type.

I'm looking to get into models again, like when I was a kid. There's some really cool stuff out there. But how do you know which paints and stuff to buy? Are there instructions on the box for what to buy? I looked at a few but didn't see any, but maybe I'm not looking right.

Do you need any other tools? Like tweezers or something for smaller parts?

Really stupid questions i know but it's been a very long time.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're close to PM Hobbycraft or Modelland I'd go in and chat (or if you're in ON, find a local model shop). They're both extremely knowledgeable staffs and will be able to get you started.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Ped
Old 12-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
No, not like the Cindy Crawford type.

I'm looking to get into models again, like when I was a kid. There's some really cool stuff out there. But how do you know which paints and stuff to buy? Are there instructions on the box for what to buy? I looked at a few but didn't see any, but maybe I'm not looking right.

Do you need any other tools? Like tweezers or something for smaller parts?
What do you want to build? Some paint brands are more suited for military models while others are more suitable for cars.

Really, though, paint is a personal preference. Do you intend to use a brush, rattle can, air brush, or a combo of all? Some paints are optimized for an air brush in that they are pre-thinned.

I build race cars and for the detail parts, I use a brush and I like Tamiya because they clean up with soap and water. I use rattle cans as well and I usually buy them at Canadian Tire in the auto dept. Tamiya spray paint is pricey, quite frankly. I tried air brushes, but I find them inconvenient because of the cleaning.

Recommended paints are typically found within the instructions. Some model manufacturers will specify a specific paint (EG, Tamiya Flat Black).

Tools:
- xacto knife
- sprue nippers
- needle nose pliers
- set of files
- very fine wet/dry sand paper
- tweezers
- sanding block
- a pin vise.

Not all of these are critical but they make things easier.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in the day I always preferred Humbrol enamels, I found the acrylic paint just to thin for my taste, of course it's been 40 odd years, things may have changed since then.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real key is lead. As much of it as you can slather on.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 04:57 PM   #6
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss modeling. Both on the runway, and at my desk in my room.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #7
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Testors Model Master acrylic paints are pretty great, so are Villajio paints.

I like hobby link japan for gunpla models and turns out to be great for lots of models in general as on online retailer too.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Ped
Old 12-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a Tamiya armor junkie and a Hasegawa plane junkie when I made planes.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baron von Kriterium has told you pretty much all you need to know to start with. Spend some money on your supplies and just build, build, build!

Things that I've learned building is give the parts a wash in water with a little dish soap before you start building, as it somehow helps the paint stick to the plastic (and give 'em a good rinse. Trust me). Also, make sure you study instructions before you start gluing - sometimes the order they tell you to build in isn't the best order.

Model-making is less of a hobby and more of an addiction, so make sure you have storage for your eventual stash and exercise a lot of will power.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The sentry box puts on free painting workshops every Sunday. Good place to play with different types of paints, tools and techniques. Sure, it’s character focused but it’s still useful knowledge IMO
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy nostalgia - lots of memories here. I was a pretty proud 12 yr old when I got one of these for my desktop.

I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 06:36 AM   #12
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

How old are you? I dug out some old kits last year with great intentions to burn through several and I couldn't see anything up close when I went to paint/detail the little parts. I was so annoyed. Getting old sucks! So I need to get a magnifier with a light. And a dedicated desk. Maybe next year. lol
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #13
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used to be huge into Gundam models when I was a kid, and had tons of them. I sanded, painted, and put 100s together.

I don't recall the exact brand, but I used to go to Sentry Box and buy the acrylic paints. They had lots of stuff for that. I also used to go to the now closed Animage in Chinatown, to buy paints.

Started into airbrushing too, but I got a girlfriend about that same time, and Gundam models were no longer as cool as I had thought.. lol

All my old stuff has been donated since unfortunately.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #14
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still remember having lots of little square glass bottles of Testors paint. Are they still around?

Or the Testors glue in the orange and white tube. I still remember the smell fondly.

Installing windshields was the bane of my existence. I always got glue on it despite how careful I tried to be. Always ended up looking like sh1t.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #15
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm just starting to get into this. Do warhammer minis count? I like painting stuff so I bought a set of space marines vs orks like a year ago and am just making my way through painting them now (I'm going with a calgary flames theme)

I also got a gundam kit on ebay because I just finished watching a series (zeta gundam) and want to re-create a scene from it by building a diorama with the 2 robots fighting in it.

Theres also a very specific plane model kit i want to get (hasegawa yf-19), but I dont have an airbrush or anything. Can anyone with experience using airbrushes let me know if theres pros/cons to cheaper airbrushes? I dont know how deep into this rabbit hole I wanna get, so I dunno if you need to go balls out on an airbrush to get a good result
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #16
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
I still remember having lots of little square glass bottles of Testors paint. Are they still around?

Or the Testors glue in the orange and white tube. I still remember the smell fondly.

Installing windshields was the bane of my existence. I always got glue on it despite how careful I tried to be. Always ended up looking like sh1t.
You need to use white glue (school glue) for windshields. works great.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #17
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
I'm just starting to get into this. Do warhammer minis count? I like painting stuff so I bought a set of space marines vs orks like a year ago and am just making my way through painting them now (I'm going with a calgary flames theme)

I also got a gundam kit on ebay because I just finished watching a series (zeta gundam) and want to re-create a scene from it by building a diorama with the 2 robots fighting in it.

Theres also a very specific plane model kit i want to get (hasegawa yf-19), but I dont have an airbrush or anything. Can anyone with experience using airbrushes let me know if theres pros/cons to cheaper airbrushes? I dont know how deep into this rabbit hole I wanna get, so I dunno if you need to go balls out on an airbrush to get a good result
Any basic two stage airbrush is fine for the average modeller. I have a nice little badger and I have paint mostly cars but you can easily do camo with it.
Just make sure you have dry air. I have a tiny little hobby compressor and a regulator/dryer in line.
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #18
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I always like the gundam models, as they have a lot of room for creativity by doing custom paint jobs or weathering. I got away from doing models because the moment your done, they're basically nice looking junk. By making really detailed Gundam models, you can spend dozens of hours on a model that doesn't take up much space and the model kit only costs $10.

spoiler for size

Spoiler!
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #19
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i used to love going into the hobby store at the mall when i was a kid.

used to build models of WW2 aircraft, then paint them over and over 3 to 4 times just because it was never happy with the way it turned out.