Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #41
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That's bizarre (about the gene). I do business with a number of companies and none ask that question. As mentioned in my other post, companies specifically note that they're asking medical questions and not asking about these genetic tests.

I misread this, and if that was a "legitimate" DNA test that might be the difference.
its a complex issue.

Bill S-201 currently protects against genetic discrimination at a number of levels (its not just an insurance discrimination bill) but is being challenged in the supreme court (mostly due to the latter issue, and there is a reasonable chance the challenge will go through I think as there are provincial jurisdiction issues at play)

at any rate, its easy to wonder at times whether Senators serve any useful purpose but Senator James Cowan was a tremendous champion of this bill

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle29494782/
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #42
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Three months after his bone marrow transplant, Chris Long of Reno, Nev., learned that the DNA in his blood had changed. It had all been replaced by the DNA of his donor, a German man he had exchanged just a handful of messages with.

He’d been encouraged to test his blood by a colleague at the Sheriff’s Office, where he worked. She had an inkling this might happen. It’s the goal of the procedure, after all: Weak blood is replaced by healthy blood, and with it, the DNA it contains.

But four years after his lifesaving procedure, it was not only Mr. Long’s blood that was affected. Swabs of his lips and cheeks contained his DNA — but also that of his donor. Even more surprising to Mr. Long and other colleagues at the crime lab, all of the DNA in his semen belonged to his donor. “I thought that it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else can appear,” he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/u...crime-lab.html

That's pretty wild. I'd understand if it was in his blood, but to end up showing up all over? Weird science.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:18 PM   #43
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if he impregnates a women, it wouldn't even be his DNA. hello, loophole!
Old 12-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #44
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So if he impregnates a women, it wouldn't even be his DNA. hello, loophole!
Except it is now his DNA.... so a paternity test would match.
What is lost is his birth lineage. He would now be passing along the DNA of another family tree.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #45
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
Except it is now his DNA.... so a paternity test would match.
What is lost is his birth lineage. He would now be passing along the DNA of another family tree.
I assume a paternity test is a blood test, and they say his blood and saliva is mixed, and his semen is 100% not his. So...maybe? This is just one guy, so I'm curious what the ramifications are for other transplant patients. It's pretty interesting.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #46
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Same article.
Quote:
The specifics of Long’s situation raise an inevitable question: What happens if he has a baby? Would he pass on the genes of his German donor or his own to future offspring? In this case, the answer will remain untested because Long had a vasectomy after his second child was born.

But what about everyone else? Three bone marrow transplant experts who were surveyed agreed that it was an intriguing question. They also agreed that passing on someone else’s genes as a result of a transplant like Long’s was impossible.

“There shouldn’t be any way for someone to father someone else’s child,” said Rezvani, the Stanford medical director.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #47
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

edit: responded to wrong post

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 12-09-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: And did it in a separate post for some unknown reason.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #48
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
That's bizarre (about the gene). I do business with a number of companies and none ask that question. As mentioned in my other post, companies specifically note that they're asking medical questions and not asking about these genetic tests.

I misread this, and if that was a "legitimate" DNA test that might be the difference.
The questions were related to immediate family medical conditions...they may even have been specific to the reasons your parents died. The critical illness insurance asked a ton of questions. I do recall a billion years ago when I was in the insurance industry to get a certain amount you had to do “the spit test” with a saliva kit. I assume it’s the same still. I forget what was being tested last century.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #49
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
The questions were related to immediate family medical conditions...they may even have been specific to the reasons your parents died. The critical illness insurance asked a ton of questions. I do recall a billion years ago when I was in the insurance industry to get a certain amount you had to do “the spit test” with a saliva kit. I assume it’s the same still. I forget what was being tested last century.
They don't do that saliva test any longer, but you might have to do blood/urine and other things. They do ask a lot of questions, but they've also streamlined quite a bit in a push for more AI decision making on cases.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: