Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Ivrnet

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 63 15.14%
PS4 185 44.47%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 7 1.68%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.44%
Getting both (eventually) 29 6.97%
Waiting for more info 60 14.42%
Not getting either 66 15.87%
Voters: 416. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default XB1 Vs PS4 Vs PC - VIDEOGAME POLITICS THUNDERDOME - PC @ 4K, Consoles Struggle@1080p

So yeah, discussion regarding the new consoles has gotten away from the consoles themselves and into comparison territory. Discussions are getting split between three threads, so lets make it four(!), and any hilarious arguments and big ass charts go here.






__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 05-20-2015 at 01:35 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

Also if you wanna talk about the WiiU I guess you can sort of do that here too you sad person you.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
chemgear
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

"PC Master Race!"
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre
 
YYC in LAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Lol, nice biased breakdown picture to start the thread.
__________________

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
"PC Master Race!"
Better purchase:

XBone @ $499 (in 5 months) or PS4 @ $399 (in 6 months) or GTX 680 @ $399 (now)

Discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Lol, nice biased breakdown picture to start the thread.
Yeah I'm hoping to lure Robaur in here.

Here's some more bait:

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 06-13-2013 at 02:37 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
The Yen Man
Franchise Player
 
The Yen Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

As much as as bitched and complained about the Xbox One, being the sucker that I am, I bet I'll probably end up getting it as soon as I find a title on there that I can't play on the PS4. Of course, me not having as much time these days to play a lot of video games, I'll probably stick mostly to JRPGs. If it's multiplatform, I'll just stick to the PS4. Will probably be picking up the WiiU as soon as I know more about that new Monolith Soft title they teased at E3.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
calumniate
Franchise Player
 
calumniate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: A small painted room
Exp:
Default

The xbox one may as well come with the book of scientology. I truly don't know what their point is. Seems like it's to alienate as many people as possible.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
The xbox one may as well come with the book of scientology. I truly don't know what their point is. Seems like it's to alienate as many people as possible.
To be truly honest, like every console generation before this, it exists (from a consumer standpoint) to be something to play Exclusive titles on. I'm not much of a Halo guy, but you get your ass every Halo lover will (eventually) be buying one.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Chart says PS4 online is free...Kind of not true, since you need PS+ to play online.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Lego Man
Scoring Winger
 
Lego Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kraków
Exp:
Default

I have nothing against PC gaming, but I just never feel like gaming when I'm on my computer. For that reason, I'll always be a console gamer - or at least a couch gamer if you know what I mean.

I'll be grabbing a PS4 during Christmas 2014 (hopefully a price drop by then!?), and I'll eventually pick up a WiiU on the cheap when all the Mario and Zelda games have been released and the console is like $150.

For now I have a ton of games to catch up on like Borderlands, Skyrim, and Skyward Sword - not to mention The Last of Us and that Southpark RPG.

To be honest though, in the last year 90% of my gaming was Fifa13. So addicting.

Unless Sony really screwed up, I was always planning on getting the new Playstation 4. For that reason alone, I'm so happy about all the negativity that Xbox1 is receiving. I still think most people will have forgot or gotten used to the idea of being spied on by launch date and Xb1 will probs do well.

It also sucks that you have to be a PS+ member to play online though. That was the reason I chose PS3 over 360, and I doubt they will continue to offer so many free games when EVERYONE is subscribed.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
For that reason alone, I'm so happy about all the negativity that Xbox1 is receiving.
For the sake of discussion, why is this?

Schadenfreude? Late 90s Micro$oft angst? Still pissed about Windows ME?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
I have nothing against PC gaming, but I just never feel like gaming when I'm on my computer. For that reason, I'll always be a console gamer - or at least a couch gamer if you know what I mean.
Is an HTPC an option? Steam recently launched the Big Picture software which makes couch PCs better and easy to navigate. Using mITX boards or micro-pre builts (like the Alienware x51) makes HTPCs much more enticing.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 06-13-2013 at 02:53 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
chemgear
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

From the other thread - thanks to Finner for additional info as well:


Initial impressions give the PS4 about a 50% advantage in raw performance - how that translates into gaming performance is still to be seen. The Xbone also has to run 3 OS's at the same time and that eats nearly half of it's memory (at least at this stage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
50% where did this come from?
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/x...-playstation-4


http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...lysis-xbox-one


http://www.gamesthirst.com/2013/05/2...ox-one-report/


http://www.sonyrumors.net/2013/05/27...than-xbox-one/


Futher discussion here:


hthttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562401


From Finner (sorry I can't seem to properly duplicate his formatting):

I figured I'd pull a couple quotes out of the anandtech column:

Quote: Sony gave the PS4 50% more raw shader performance, plain and simple (768 SPs @ 800MHz vs. 1152 SPs & 800MHz). Unlike last generation, you don't need to be some sort of Jedi to extract the PS4's potential here. The Xbox One and PS4 architectures are quite similar, Sony just has more hardware under the hood. We’ll have to wait and see how this hardware delta gets exposed in games over time, but the gap is definitely there. Sony’s approach (especially when combined with a beefier GPU) is exactly what you’d build if you wanted to give game developers the fastest hardware. Microsoft’s approach on the other hand looks a little more broad.
Sony’s approach (especially when combined with a beefier GPU) is exactly what you’d build if you wanted to give game developers the fastest hardware. Microsoft’s approach on the other hand looks a little more broad.

About how much the OS will use:

Quote: The game is loaded in memory and is fully running. The game has full access to the reserved system resources, which are six CPU cores, 90 percent of GPU processing power, and 5 GB of memory. The game is rendering full-screen and the user can interact with it.
The game is loaded in memory and is fully running. The game has full access to the reserved system resources, which are six CPU cores, 90 percent of GPU processing power, and 5 GB of memory. The game is rendering full-screen and the user can interact with it.

So basically the OS needs 2 of the 8 CPU cores, 3 GB of RAM and 10% of the video card at minimum while a game is running. So not only are you looking at arguably 50% more powerful hardware in the PS4, but you're also talking about an OS that will take diminish a significant amount of the available power for games.

Comparatively the PS4 contains an additional 9th low power ARM processor to handle background tasks to minimize use of main system resources.

Last edited by chemgear; 06-13-2013 at 02:55 PM.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Lego Man
Scoring Winger
 
Lego Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kraków
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
For the sake of discussion, why is this?

Schadenfreude? Late 90s Micro$oft angst? Still pissed about Windows ME?
Mostly because it means more people will buy the PS4 and the community will be larger. More of my friends will use the same console, more players will be online, more people will discuss and talk about it online... that sort of thing.

I could care less about Microsoft or the new Xbox, since I don't care for their exclusives and I was never planning to buy it. Most of the games I bought this gen were released on both consoles (other than Uncharted and GT5) so it's just a matter of having everyone use the same console.

Right now it's roughly 50/50 when you ask someone which they use, and that sucks because you end up not gaming with half your friends.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
Mostly because it means more people will buy the PS4 and the community will be larger. More of my friends will use the same console, more players will be online, more people will discuss and talk about it online... that sort of thing.

I could care less about Microsoft or the new Xbox, since I don't care for their exclusives and I was never planning to buy it. Most of the games I bought this gen were released on both consoles (other than Uncharted and GT5) so it's just a matter of having everyone use the same console.

Right now it's roughly 50/50 when you ask someone which they use, and that sucks because you end up not gaming with half your friends.
This is when you convince everyone you know to build an HTPC! Then everyone can party together.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #15
Igottago
Franchise Player
 
Igottago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

As I did this generation I'll wait it out a bit to see how things play out before buying a system. The PS3 seems to have plenty left and coming to keep my gaming time occupied for some time.

While PS4 has the obvious edge right now, I still think despite their controversial approach the Xbox has some intriguing features. I'll admit I'm very interested in the all in one media box concept, and if they can pull of that infrastructure well they may just grab my attention, despite all the DRM issues associated with the gaming.
__________________
A few weeks after crashing head-first into the boards (denting his helmet and being unable to move for a little while) following a hit from behind by Bob Errey, the Calgary Flames player explains:

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Lego Man
Scoring Winger
 
Lego Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kraków
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Is an HTPC an option? Steam recently launched the Big Picture software which makes couch PCs better and easy to navigate. Using mITX boards or micro-pre builts (like the Alienware x51) makes HTPCs much more enticing.
It is an option but...

1) all options are more expensive than a PS4
2) the vast majority of my friends will still game on a console, it's way to hard to get everyone gaming mainly on steam.

I have Steam on my Macbook Pro and have struck a fine balance:
1) indie games and graphically less intense games like Starcraft/Civilization on the laptop
2) all other games on console, especially games that I can't play on my laptop... like CoD, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption - you know, games that should look nice. I love sports games, and I believe Fifa and NHL have much larger online communities on consoles too.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player
 
PsYcNeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Marseilles Of The Prairies
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
It is an option but...

1) all options are more expensive than a PS4
2) the vast majority of my friends will still game on a console, it's way to hard to get everyone gaming mainly on steam.

I have Steam on my Macbook Pro and have struck a fine balance:
1) indie games and graphically less intense games like Starcraft/Civilization on the laptop
2) all other games on console, especially games that I can't play on my laptop... like CoD, Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption - you know, games that should look nice. I love sports games, and I believe Fifa and NHL have much larger online communities on consoles too.
I can understand this. I really wish Valve had followed through on the SteamBox (or whatever they were going to call it), but the projected sales vs hardware costs likely just didn't make it feasible. Though, there's a good chance you could cook up an mITX-based HTPC that runs better than a PS4/XBone for ~$600 (less if you buy used parts).
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
Lego Man
Scoring Winger
 
Lego Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kraków
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I can understand this. I really wish Valve had followed through on the SteamBox (or whatever they were going to call it), but the projected sales vs hardware costs likely just didn't make it feasible. Though, there's a good chance you could cook up an mITX-based HTPC that runs better than a PS4/XBone for ~$600 (less if you buy used parts).
If Valve somehow made an actual SteamBox to compete directly with Xbox1 and PS4... with identical tech specs for example, and offered the same game library as Xb1/PS4 (EA Sports games especially) - THEN It would take heavy convincing not to buy it... considering how large my Steam library has become.

I'm not sure how why Valve abandoned the idea but it almost seems like it would be worth it to sell the console at a loss just gain console market share and subsequently steam software sales.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd
 
Hack&Lube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: www.thebeervault.ca
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Better purchase:

XBone @ $499 (in 5 months) or PS4 @ $399 (in 6 months) or GTX 680 @ $399 (now)
[PC Ubermunchkin]
A GTX 680 is still going to be about twice as powerful as a XBone or PS4 6 months from now. [/PC Ubermunchkin]

I'll probably get a PS4 anyway even though my current computer is probably already 4-5 times more powerful. I've recently been converted to the simplicity of console couch gaming. I could use a good Netflix box with a easy BT remote as well. It would have to be better than the current POS Netflix has on the PS3 for an app. It's so ridiculous that you can only find about 10% of the movies at any time and you can't search by category, etc. It only shows you like the top 75 horror movies out of 750, etc.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd
 
Hack&Lube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: www.thebeervault.ca
Exp:
Default

For those that don't know, Steam already has a "Big Picture Mode" which is essentially their couch-gaming on a TV front end for Steam that's controllable with wireless controllers.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016