Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #321
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagoPucks View Post
Got real lucky with some picks. The inter- team battles are going to intensify at the front. Vettel seems like he is finding his way again after having lost his mojo. Bottas seems like a man on a mission. I just wonder when Hamilton is going to find another gear and if Bottas can respond to that.

I am not convinced Ferrari can surpass Merc this season. I think Merc is toying with the rest of the field. Ricciardo with a dumb mistake.

Is this a trophy we can keep or are we going to pass it around every year? I am in for a share of the trophy as well
Agreed for sure. I definitely think that the Mercs are absolutely playing head games with Ferrari. And they are so obviously in their kitchen that you can practically see them banging the pots and pans. Every single race, except maybe Bahrain, has been the same. Ferrari looks very good right up to Q3 and then the Mercs up the engine map and its good night.

Hamilton has already said he was "too nice" going into Turn 1. I thought it was a very fair fight between the two.

#hotrumour...Alonso was talking to Red Bull about replacing Gasly...Gasly had a very good race until a broken drive shaft ended it so the rumour may go away.

I was thinking the trophy would be passed around, the winner just has to get their name engraved...it was just an idea. The one I originally posted is about $15 cheaper, but that would be an annual one. Plus CalPuck is awesome and figured the logo would add value, lol.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #322
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it's never too early to get existed out the next race.

The Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
Length 4.655 km (2.892 mi)
Turns 16
Race lap record 1:18.441 (Australia Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer, 2018)

Spoiler!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:40 PM   #323
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Unlike the teams and a lot of fans I actually enjoyed the hell out of that three week triple header last season.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #324
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Agreed for sure. I definitely think that the Mercs are absolutely playing head games with Ferrari. And they are so obviously in their kitchen that you can practically see them banging the pots and pans. Every single race, except maybe Bahrain, has been the same. Ferrari looks very good right up to Q3 and then the Mercs up the engine map and its good night.

Hamilton has already said he was "too nice" going into Turn 1. I thought it was a very fair fight between the two.

#hotrumour...Alonso was talking to Red Bull about replacing Gasly...Gasly had a very good race until a broken drive shaft ended it so the rumour may go away.

I was thinking the trophy would be passed around, the winner just has to get their name engraved...it was just an idea. The one I originally posted is about $15 cheaper, but that would be an annual one. Plus CalPuck is awesome and figured the logo would add value, lol.
Yeah, I actually think I prefer the trophy idea as the engraving makes it fun and unique. Just figured I'd mention the die cast idea as it would make a really nice mantel or desk piece at the office.

I think a die cast would make a better keepsake, the trophy is better if we're passing it around, which it looks like we are.

This is of course all coming from a guy with like a 2% chance of coming back on the year!

Last edited by jayswin; 04-30-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:42 PM   #325
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Holy moly, lots going on. Cool idea on the trophy. I’m in for sure.

Lots of news the last few days. Monza and Silverstone extend their contracts so those races aren’t going anywhere. Race in Holland May replace the Spanish GP.

F1 will not go to a 4 part qualifying next year.

Reddit user graphed track temps over the weekend. Shows that track temps during the race were totally unique for the weekend. Even the weather hates Ferrari.
Spoiler!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 AM   #326
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd go in for a trophy. My co-worker and I do a bet every year, and when I was at the Nurburgring I grabbed a little Schumacher F1 car that we use for a trophy. It's one of those pull back to charge then let go cars. So we also use it to select who gets first pick, by who makes it go the farthest. It has yet to leave my office.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #327
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

constructors standings
  1. 173 Mercedes
  2. 99 Ferrari
  3. 64 Red Bull
  4. 18 McLaren
  5. 17 Racing Point
  6. 13 Alfa Romeo
  7. 12 Renault
  8. 8 Haas
  9. 4 Toro Rosso
  10. 0 Williams
Old 05-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #328
jayswin

Exp:

I could definitely see Racing Point taking 4th if Lance can get some better qualifying to match his decent actual race skills.

Renault has to feel like **** this year. Damn that's a lot of money and promise for 12 points so far.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:03 PM   #329
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

There was one other news/insight items I meant to comment on. Sorry I’m not posting articles, I’m too lazy. Most everything is from reddit or motorsport.

Basically it has to do with the fact that Perrelli changed their tires this year and they heat up much differently now than they did before. Has to do with the temp of the outside of tire and canvas or inside temps. Long story short, this has helped Merc tremendously, as their one area they’ve struggled the last few years has been their tire temps and tire wear, and has hurt Ferrari because now they are struggling to manage tires and temps.

Unlike some rule changes in the past this one does not appear to have been a result of Merc strong arming to get their way. It’s just a crappy coincidence for the rest of the grid that they benefited.

Hopefully as the season progresses Ferrari can manage tire temps better and get their car working better with tires.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #330
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
There was one other news/insight items I meant to comment on. Sorry I’m not posting articles, I’m too lazy. Most everything is from reddit or motorsport.

Basically it has to do with the fact that Perrelli changed their tires this year and they heat up much differently now than they did before. Has to do with the temp of the outside of tire and canvas or inside temps. Long story short, this has helped Merc tremendously, as their one area they’ve struggled the last few years has been their tire temps and tire wear, and has hurt Ferrari because now they are struggling to manage tires and temps.

Unlike some rule changes in the past this one does not appear to have been a result of Merc strong arming to get their way. It’s just a crappy coincidence for the rest of the grid that they benefited.

Hopefully as the season progresses Ferrari can manage tire temps better and get their car working better with tires.

I also read that this is what has been hurting Haas. They can't seem to figure it out and it has obviously dropped them to the bottom of the pool.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #331
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do any of those threads say what the problem is with Williams?
Old 05-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #332
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I could definitely see Racing Point taking 4th if Lance can get some better qualifying to match his decent actual race skills.

Renault has to feel like **** this year. Damn that's a lot of money and promise for 12 points so far.
I'd love to see McLaren st the top again. Norris has been really impressive and I always liked Sainz.

A battle between them and Racing Point would be a good one for 4th. I really wish Renault could figure it out though. I do t like the team but love Ricciardo
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:41 AM   #333
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, sorry for the delay, the trophy is ordered...same as post #304. Will try and do it as an annual thing. Winner gets to keep it for a year, get it engraved/labeled, then get it to the next winner.

I'll PM everyone with details when it arrives and a final cost. Again, it should be about $90 delivered, so thats ~$10pp. I may just set it at $10 and then any extra $$ will be used for a Toilet Bowl winner or something...

@DoubleK...the issue with Williams, from what I've read, is that it has TERRIBLE stability through the corners. There is almost a built-in aero upset so when the cars go to turn in the drivers have no idea whether it will over or under steer and simply can't turn the car with confidence. There is no excuse for a competing F1 car to be 3 - 5 seconds behind.

They've also had terrible luck (running over an exploding man hole) and there is very clearly team dynamic issues with Paddy Lowe leaving and Patrick Head rejoining them, rumours of being for sale, etc.. They also have virtually no spare parts, money, time for manufacturing, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #334
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got think Cyril is going to get the boot if he can't make something happen this season. He's had his chance, and he lost Red Bull as a customer.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #335
jayswin

Exp:

That trophy's going to look great on my mantle in 2020.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #336
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I'd love to see McLaren st the top again. Norris has been really impressive and I always liked Sainz.

Alonso would have a podium by now.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #337
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

With F1 back in Europe, Ferrari has brought there new power units to the Spanish GP this weekend. Apparently its quite a bit ahead of schedule (Canadian GP), will see if this makes a difference. LOLOL, it wont. They still have terrible strategies...https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...sh-gp/4383221/

Haas is hoping to stem the bleeding with the return to Barcelona as well. But I just worry they may be changing too much (front wing, floor, aero pieces, etc.). https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/t...sjean/4382978/

Also...the "prize" is being completed and should have soon (mid-late May). It's $84, so with 15 people in the pool, its about $6pp...assuming everyone pays. I'll PM everyone separately, but was thinking $10pp and then all costs covered and anything extra goes to a Toilet Bowl winner, 2nd place, or getting first plaque engraved.

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #338
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I don't know about you guys but I'm done believing in Ferrari until they actually prove something other than on a Saturday
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #339
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not me. I've never believed in Ferrari to begin with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #340
jayswin

Exp:

This sport badly needs some parity and soon. If it's race after race with lock out Mercedes polls they could kill all the attention they got from possible new F1 fans with that Netflix series.