Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2017, 06:08 AM   #701
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

The most frustrating part is that in the middle of the second period, I was feeling like "we are outplaying them so bad, this is the smackdown game that will turn the tide of the series"
And then that happened...
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:25 AM   #702
Captaincanada80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My dog has been up all night throwing up. I never knew she could watch hockey
Old 04-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #703
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

The only thing that consoles me right now is that we're not the only team down 3-0.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #704
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Going 3 for 5 on the powerplay but losing to a team that got all 5 goals even strength is disgusting.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:56 AM   #705
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woke up, calmer. Am only fuming this morning, thus team is just brutal.

Do not want Elliott starting game 4. I don't care if we win game 4, I just want Elliott to be gone. Hot streak aside he was a major flop.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #706
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Eight hours later, I still can't decide what makes me angrier - Brian Elliott turning into a complete piece of garbage or how brazenly the league office is willing to rig outcomes in favour of its pet franchises.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #707
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Times like this I really miss Kipper
Old 04-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #708
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

When was the last time we had a consistent goalie?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #709
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally don't blame the goalie. The second goal shouldn't have happened. Whistle should have blown or even a penalty called on Perry. The entire Dome, including the broadcasters were watching him, and then the puck ends up in our net. Third goal was a high stick. Never should have counted. OT goal is bad luck, plain and simple, but never should have gone to OT in the first place. The Flames stopped doing what made them successful in the first two periods, attacking and carrying the play. They stood back and tried to protect a lead. Gave the Ducks time and space and it cost them.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:03 AM   #710
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
“That’s the toughest loss I’ve been around in this organization,” said Flames captain Mark Giordano. It’s a game you’re up 4-1 and can swing the series. I mean, that can’t happen.
Quote:
Fans in the ‘C’ of Red started “Go Flames Go” chants during warm-ups and kept the hits coming all night. Also overheard at the Saddledome were these classics: “Biek-sa’s Ugl-eeeee,” “Kesler’s Ugl-eeeee,” “Gibbbbbson,” “Kesler Sucks,” and various renditions of “boooos” whenever old friend Kevin Bieksa or Ryan Kesler touched the puck.
http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/04/18...eries-to-ducks
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #711
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So was the consensus that it was a high stick on the Thompson goal? Everyone I was sitting around was sure it wouldn't count.

Pretty disappointed today, I thought the fans did their part and the Flames were too until they crumbled. I don't want to write the Flames off, but I'm not sure they have what it takes to come back from 3-0.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #712
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brutal heartbreaking loss. I am so hung over today as I was convinced we had the game after the second period so I downed a few more Dome beers.

The most frustrating player on the roster for me this year has been Elliott. He was so terrible at the start I wanted him gone. I was in the pro Bishop camp at the deadline but then Elliott went on a fantastic run. He pulled his numbers out of the gutter to respectability. I certainly hang these last 2 losses on his shoulders. The first 2 goals in game 2 were ines he would have wanted back and last night was all him.

Treliving did an okay job with the stop gap goalie situation this year as it got the team to the playoffs but a likely sweep shows me he needs to do better this summer and he should have options
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #713
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I wonder how many chairs Treliving tossed around after this game...
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #714
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
So was the consensus that it was a high stick on the Thompson goal? Everyone I was sitting around was sure it wouldn't count.
It really depended on which angle they showed on the TV. It looked like a high stick but the TV angles IMO weren't conclusive so the longer the review took the more it felt to me like they were going to call it a good goal. The guys in Toronto may have a different view and they also have the ability to go by frames where they can pinpoint where the stick contacted. It's a tough pill to swallow but after seeing the TV replays it looked to me like one of those plays where the call on the ice would stand whether it be called a good goal or a high stick.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 AM   #715
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
I personally don't blame the goalie. The second goal shouldn't have happened. Whistle should have blown or even a penalty called on Perry. The entire Dome, including the broadcasters were watching him, and then the puck ends up in our net. Third goal was a high stick. Never should have counted. OT goal is bad luck, plain and simple, but never should have gone to OT in the first place. The Flames stopped doing what made them successful in the first two periods, attacking and carrying the play. They stood back and tried to protect a lead. Gave the Ducks time and space and it cost them.
The first goal was a horrendous rebound, the second was Elliott watching the scrum at the bench instead of the play, and the fourth was a clear shot that went right through him.

Elliott, more than all other factors combined, is why our season is virtually over.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 AM   #716
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
The only thing that consoles me right now is that we're not the only team down 3-0.
Half of the first round series are at 3-0 including 3/4 in the Western Conference. Could be one of the least amount of first round playoff hockey we have seen in a long time although I feel the Leafs/Capitals series will probably go to seven games.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #717
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

The team has to be completely deflated..

The ceappy thing is is that the Flames will have softened up the Ducks and the Ducks won't win the next round and if it's going to be the Oilers, the Oilers win the series cause the Flames have decimated their defence.

Bieksa is in rough shape, Fowler can barely skate, Vatanan is barely ready to go and Holzer is only got to be able to take so much abuse..

That's when it will become really brutal...

I pray I never see Elliott in a Flames sweater again and pray Brouwer is about to play his last game as a Flame, should the Flames lose.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #718
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That was very disrespectful to the fans. The flames are a bunch of losers
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Backlunds_socks For This Useful Post:
hah
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #719
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The first goal was a horrendous rebound, the second was Elliott watching the scrum at the bench instead of the play, and the fourth was a clear shot that went right through him.

Elliott, more than all other factors combined, is why our season is virtually over.
He also wasn't ready to go and handed the Ducks the 2-0 lead in game two. The guy had a really good mid season run but his play down the stretch started to fall off heading into the playoffs and he simply hasn't been good enough in the last two playoff games. At the very least the goaltending situation next season has become a little clearer for management. They should be looking for a new starting goaltender.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #720
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. Early in the season I was willing to give Elliott some leeway because the team was bleeding chances but I lost all faith in him the last two games.

Spotted them 2 goals in game 2.

Gave them 3 or 4 soft ones last night.

Games 1 and 2 the Flames made their own mistakes but last night to me was 100% on Elliott. They gave up only 27 shots, very few high quality chances, took no penalties, but the other team somehow scored 4 goals all off shots that were from the blue line or the boards.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote