Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #281
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

6 showings this weekend so far. Maybe even more as the day goes on for tomorrow. We're basically spending the weekend homeless lol.

edit: 5 today! that makes 7 this weekend.

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-12-2019 at 11:42 AM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #282
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Makes me happy when you discover a new restaurant with really good food. An Italian restaurant opened walking distance from my home. It opened about a year ago and I just never found my way over. Last night, my friend and I were being lazy and decided to walk over. While the food was a little overpriced, it was heaven. We did the whole shebang. We had apps, main courses, desserts. Everything tasted incredible, great quality, so I have no problem paying a little extra if the food and experience are good. Kinda pissed at myself for not trying it earlier. And it is a little family owned place, so a nice break from chain restaurants.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #283
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got moved in and settled into our new house. Was a long day but nice to relax for a n hour or so before passing out!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:17 PM   #284
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Got moved in and settled into our new house. Was a long day but nice to relax for a n hour or so before passing out!
Fingers crossed for no ghosts tonight!
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #285
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a conditional sale on our house! If for some reason the buyers back out we get a 10K deposit, so it's not the end of the world, but I'm told only 2% of conditional sales fall through.

The best part is we got really close to the asking price. I am over-the-moon excited and finally have a solid number where we can start house hunting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #286
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
We have a conditional sale on our house! If for some reason the buyers back out we get a 10K deposit, so it's not the end of the world, but I'm told only 2% of conditional sales fall through.

The best part is we got really close to the asking price. I am over-the-moon excited and finally have a solid number where we can start house hunting.
Congrats! That’s always exciting. Especially because you were concerned it wouldn’t sell.

Not to rain on your parade but I would assume 2% of sales of conditions not being met is way too low. And if conditions aren’t met the deposit gets returned.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #287
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Congrats! That’s always exciting. Especially because you were concerned it wouldn’t sell.

Not to rain on your parade but I would assume 2% of sales of conditions not being met is way too low. And if conditions aren’t met the deposit gets returned.
If the buyer doesn't meet the conditions the deposit certainly isn't returned.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:09 PM   #288
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the buyer doesn't meet the conditions the deposit certainly isn't returned.

No that's not true. Lots of buyers do not wave conditions for a variety of reasons and they almost always get their deposit back. That's why it's held in trust. You could try to prove they actually did satisfy their conditions and still didn't wave and thus are in breach of your contract. But that's not common at all. Hopefully yours do wave.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #289
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
No that's not true. Lots of buyers do not wave conditions for a variety of reasons and they almost always get their deposit back. That's why it's held in trust. You could try to prove they actually did satisfy their conditions and still didn't wave and thus are in breach of your contract. But that's not common at all. Hopefully yours do wave.
Well, I will have to ask my realtor for clarification as that's not how I understood it over the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #290
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I will have to ask my realtor for clarification as that's not how I understood it over the phone.
Your deal and the deposit is dependant on conditions. They can’t just decide to not buy it now without losing the deposit.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #291
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Your deal and the deposit is dependant on conditions. They can’t just decide to not buy it now without losing the deposit.
Yes they can, as long as they conditioned it properly.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #292
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not even as simple as proving the buyers actually did satisfy the conditions and therefore breached the contract. You may have to prove that you suffered damages and loss because of the failed contract. For example if you get a second offer right away at the same price, you really are not out anything besides inconvenience. The judge might award you a month of carrying costs and send the deposit back less those costs. In general, whenever you feel like you're getting money for nothing, it's probably not real.

Also, I think your realtor is entitled to take commissions as required on the deal. So the 10k would likely go his or her way first. That may have changed though.

I also think that legally no notice is required to return deposits any more. Like you used to have to inform the sellers that the deposit was being returned and they could ask to have it held until a court decided the case. Now the buyers just have to ask the lawyer to return it and at that point it's quite fruitless to pursue it when there is no longer money in trust.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 04:26 PM   #293
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yes they can, as long as they conditioned it properly.
I don't think most buyers put the condition of "if we decide we don't want to buy it" on the contract.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #294
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
I don't think most buyers put the condition of "if we decide we don't want to buy it" on the contract.
Nor would a seller accept such a condition in almost every case.

Not to sidetrack though. White out I hope it all goes smoothly and works out for you! We just moved into our new house yesterday so I share your excitement!
Old 01-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #295
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

What’s the condition? Inspection? They can say they didn’t like the inspection, no review required, and their deposit would be returned.

If it’s conditional on their finances then maybe you’d have a case. But you’re going to have to fight them for it.

All in all buying/selling houses is a pain in the ass so I hope it goes smoothly.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #296
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you're def right, the deposit isn't quite as iron clad as I thought. But my realtor is sticking with his numbers on conditional sales falling thru. Also, half the time it fails its due to inspection and since we're a 5 year old home won't be an issue.

Quote:
Especially because you were concerned it wouldn’t sell.
I wasn't too worried about it not selling cuz the house sucked, just the market is weak. But for houses in our area our size it's actually not that bad. We've had 3 more viewings since our home was conditionally sold, so the interest is there. I'll breathe easier on the 22nd when this moves into a more official sale

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-13-2019 at 06:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #297
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

As part of my Christmas present, my wife took me out to see the Calgary Inferno play today. While they lost, it was a pretty enjoyable experience. I haven't really been inside of a community arena since I stopped playing hockey nearly 30 years ago.

Going to the game today in the Okotoks arena felt like I'd stepped back in time 30 years. Good times.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #298
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

WRMMH is finding a safety deposit box key. Not just any key, but the one that my mother-in-law had kept somewhere before she passed away almost a year ago. My wife and her siblings have been looking for it on and off for the past year, but guess who found it earlier tonight? This guy! Feels great. Of course it was in an armoire that had already been looked in, but a little basket in the back corner under some papers caught my eye.

Nobody is expecting early Microsoft shares or anything, but there should be some family items with sentimental value. Not to mention those intangibles like not having to wonder anymore, closure, etc.

I was in the camp of "just pay the $250 fee and have it opened - it isn't worth worrying about" but having the key makes it so much easier. Tomorrow my wife and father-in-law are going to have a look, and even if the damn thing is empty, it will be nice to know once and for all.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:30 PM   #299
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
As part of my Christmas present, my wife took me out to see the Calgary Inferno play today. While they lost, it was a pretty enjoyable experience. I haven't really been inside of a community arena since I stopped playing hockey nearly 30 years ago.

Going to the game today in the Okotoks arena felt like I'd stepped back in time 30 years. Good times.
Do you live in Okotoks? Hit some AJHL games, they're a good time for cheap
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #300
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
What’s the condition? Inspection? They can say they didn’t like the inspection, no review required, and their deposit would be returned.

If it’s conditional on their finances then maybe you’d have a case. But you’re going to have to fight them for it.

All in all buying/selling houses is a pain in the ass so I hope it goes smoothly.
Good point. I wonder what it would be like if it was a flaky excuse. I'm sure the inspector has to write exactly what they found, but I suppose no home is 'perfect'. I'm sure most houses have a cop out if people wanted out, such as original water heater, area with risk of pooling water, or some such.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote