Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #2561
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nightmare start, worst part is Kyrgios isn't even having to work for it right now.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:42 AM   #2562
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

4 1st serves into the net I counted on that one. Unacceptable at this level of tennis.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarybornnraised For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #2563
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
This is totally a mental test. Nick is totally going to #### with the kid, and he's got the crowd (because the Wimbledon crowd is stupid).
If this were Paris or New York the crowd would be all over Nick.
First of all an Aussie being more supported in London is legit not shocking, even slightly, especially against a player with 0 tour level tournaments won. Second, if this were Paris or New York the crowds there wouldn't care about this match at all. It'd be on the outer courts in Paris, probably court 17 in New York.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:44 AM   #2564
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a big game right there for Felix. Something to build on.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #2565
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There we go. That's better. Probably too late for this set but encouraging.

... I mean it is a Kyrgios match; it can turn on a dime. Who knows.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #2566
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix needs to recalibrate the forehand once again.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #2567
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Annnnd gives it right back. Can't be giving Kyrgios gifts like that.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #2568
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
First of all an Aussie being more supported in London is legit not shocking, even slightly, especially against a player with 0 tour level tournaments won. Second, if this were Paris or New York the crowds there wouldn't care about this match at all. It'd be on the outer courts in Paris, probably court 17 in New York.

Forget that he's Australian, he's a clown. Why would they cheer for an Aussie over a Canuck? Why cheer for a clown over one of the top prospects in the game? Because they are there for the novelty, not for the tennis. Kyrgios being cheered on to win the title would be peak Wimbledon.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #2569
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kyrgios is getting cheered because Felix is a relative nobody - people might have seen him play once or twice but he doesn't have a brand or a character like Nick.

Trainer out already, wow... Honestly Felix might be able to grind this out but he needs to get into some long games. The serve isn't working, the forehand isn't working... as all over the place as Kyrgios is you need to get at least under control even if you're not hitting winners every rally.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 07-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #2570
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Annnnd gives it right back. Can't be giving Kyrgios gifts like that.
You've said it before SCD, Felix is by no means a servebot, but as his serve goes, so goes the rest of his game.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #2571
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix has lost his concentration. Will be a great learning experience for the kid.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #2572
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did the commentator say these are 2 of the biggest servers on tour? What the what.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #2573
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Nick is playing possum, he is legitimately hurting out there and his serve speed is way down.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #2574
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Kyrgios is getting cheered because Felix is a relative nobody - people might have seen him play once or twice but he doesn't have a brand or a character like Nick.

Trainer out already, wow... Honestly Felix might be able to grind this out but he needs to get into some long games. The serve isn't working, the forehand isn't working... as all over the place as Kyrgios is you need to get at least under control even if you're not hitting winners every rally.

Actually Krygios get cheered on nowhere. He's just a joke. As SCD said, anywhere else, this match would be on court 17. 16th seed versus unseeded.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #2575
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone at Wimbledon with a blow dart. He’s laying right there.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #2576
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Forget that he's Australian, he's a clown. Why would they cheer for an Aussie over a Canuck? Why cheer for a clown over one of the top prospects in the game? Because they are there for the novelty, not for the tennis. Kyrgios being cheered on to win the title would be peak Wimbledon.
You realize the vast majority of major crowds are casuals right? We all know who Felix is. Does the average casual fan who goes to a major know? Nope, not even slightly. It's not even like he has a deep run in a major like Denis has had to increase the profile. At this point he's still mostly unknown outside the die hards. Kyrgios, regardless of what you think of him, is probably as well known as anyone outside the big 3 and Andy.

Besides the French fans cheer all their quitters, who ####ing cares what the fans think? Felix isn't losing this match because the crowd isn't behind him, and if he is that is far more problematic because it suggests mental weakness.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #2577
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly if you were betting on this match you might still bet Felix just based on how uncomfortable Kyrgios looked that last service game.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #2578
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
You realize the vast majority of major crowds are casuals right? We all know who Felix is. Does the average casual fan who goes to a major know? Nope, not even slightly. It's not even like he has a deep run in a major like Denis has had to increase the profile. At this point he's still mostly unknown outside the die hards. Kyrgios, regardless of what you think of him, is probably as well known as anyone outside the big 3 and Andy.

Besides the French fans cheer all their quitters, who ####ing cares what the fans think? Felix isn't losing this match because the crowd isn't behind him, and if he is that is far more problematic because it suggests mental weakness.

We know Felix has mental problems. Also, I don't think you give tennis fans enough credit. I've been to Indian Wells and Flushing Meadows, as have others on here. It's a very knowledgeable crowd. You know, they actually buy tickets and enjoy their day around the grounds watching their favorite players practice.

I have not been to Wimbledon but I know people who have gone, it's very posh and arrogant. About half the people are there because they are given corporate tickets and are just there to be seen.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #2579
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean I would bet on Felix now because he probably has great odds and Kyrgios is always one point away from a meltdown.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:07 AM   #2580
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have not been to Wimbledon but I know people who have gone, it's very posh and arrogant. About half the people are there because they are given corporate tickets and are just there to be seen.
You are specifically talking about Centre Court here. I don't think posh rich people are gonna queue for 6-12 hours in a field just to sit in Court 3.