Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Westbrook C-Train station

Is there something wrong with the Westbrook underground C-Train station? I keep hearing from other people that the amount of homeless people sleeping / not leaving the station is resulting in some interesting encounters for riders.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Drunks, druggies, petty criminals, homeless, etc have increased in the area since the LRT station went in. Westbrook Mall itself is sketchy.

The library at the LRT station doubles as a homeless drop-in.

Quote:
Drunk, abusive customers prompt security to increase at Calgary's Nicholls Family library

Calgary's first library branch in a C-Train station is proving a security challenge, as staff and management try to reduce the number of incidents at the Westbrook LRT station branch.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...fety-1.4281531
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a nice little preview for the problems that the new central library will have
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The number of incidents in the area over the last few months means we no longer go to Westbrook Mall (then again, we only really used the Walmart on occasion, but now, never do) and will not step foot in the restaurants near there. The number of times I've seen the yellow police tape to the south of the station near the Subway is disturbing.

Currently the McDonalds on 17th ave near the Subway has broken out windows covered with plywood. Last week there were two carjackings in the parking lot by the mall.

Avoid the area completely. Its starting to become like the Vancouver's east side downtown. Completely sketchy.

There is zero chance I'd take my daughter to the library there, we use the Signal Hill branch which is quite safe and doesn't need security staff.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's almost as if the homeless are looking for warm shelter or something.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
Knut

Exp:

My kids got to experience a guy on drugs screaming and flailing his arms get taken down by police at Little Lebanon there. That was a good life lesson
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at the BPs there not to long ago and a guy OD'd in the washroom, fortunately he lived but talking to the staff it's not a uncommon occurance. Unfortunately, the ctrain has turned that area into a pretty sketchy one.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #8
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

That place wasn't always like that; I will concur that Westbrook Station has made the area more sketchy too. At the same time, I still don't think it's as bad as some are making it out to be. Have street smarts, I spent years in that area (including after Westbrook opened) and never had a problem.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #9
JoseCuervo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
The number of incidents in the area over the last few months means we no longer go to Westbrook Mall (then again, we only really used the Walmart on occasion, but now, never do) and will not step foot in the restaurants near there. The number of times I've seen the yellow police tape to the south of the station near the Subway is disturbing.

Currently the McDonalds on 17th ave near the Subway has broken out windows covered with plywood. Last week there were two carjackings in the parking lot by the mall.

Avoid the area completely. Its starting to become like the Vancouver's east side downtown. Completely sketchy.

There is zero chance I'd take my daughter to the library there, we use the Signal Hill branch which is quite safe and doesn't need security staff.
You are really so brave for leaving your house at all. God forbid you ever experience a negative situation in life.
JoseCuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JoseCuervo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #10
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

You walk outside, you get shot. People getting raped in the alley way. Murdered in the streets.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #11
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I moved at the end of October, but before that I had been catching the train there daily for 3.5 years. You definitely see some sketchy characters in the area (in my experience, mostly chilling on the grass behind the bar next to the Shoppers, outside the back entrance to the train), as well as a heavier police presence - constantly checking on said grass squatters. But at least personally, I had never been accosted by them or felt threatened. Just asked for spare change by ones chilling in the grass a couple times. I don't think I ever saw anyone sleeping down in the train area the entire time I commuted there.

I now catch it at Anderson station, there's way more squatters there than I ever saw at Westbrook.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #12
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worst one i ever dealt with is Victoria Park. People ####ing behind the ticket machines. Passed out bodies covered in blood and puke. Glass smashed with blood on it. Plus your run of the mill drunk / drugged out people at 7 in the morning.

Most days were just your normal people asking for change but every once in a while it would be ugly. It was never unsafe though.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #13
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's basically free transportation there from the core (let's be honest, a honor system for C-Train fares), it's not surprising unfortunately.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Westbrook is pretty ugly, but not much different than downtown stations during non-peak hours. During the morning and home rush, it's no big deal.

But at, say, 10 a.m., 1 p.m., or later in the night, there are either a lot more unsavory characters or they're more noticeable.

If its after hours and there's no snow or rain/mud, I'll use Shaganappi station and hoof it a few extra few blocks.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #15
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going to the McDonalds just south of the Westbrook station recently, one crackhead out of a group was holding out a box full of Iphone chargers. Certainly some auxiliary sales after their five finger discount at parked cars in the station.

It's a total hellhole, to be avoided if you can and don't mind having to fix your windows in the middle of winter as you left a charger visible in your car.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #16
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Going to the McDonalds just south of the Westbrook station recently, one crackhead out of a group was holding out a box full of Iphone chargers. Certainly some auxiliary sales after their five finger discount at parked cars in the station.

It's a total hellhole, to be avoided if you can and don't mind having to fix your windows in the middle of winter as you left a charger visible in your car.
Where does that station have parking?
Old 01-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #17
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad to see the east village revitalization project has had zero consequences on other areas such as Westbrook, Brentwood and Lions Park!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #18
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

To be fair, the LRT at Westbrook Station wouldn't normally be the cause for concern. What I think has caused the problem is the re-routing of the bus network to use Westbrook as a hub, where people make transfers. This is why I think the transient population has increased - because they have to go there. Having a mall/stores around was a latent benefit to the location.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:47 PM   #19
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post

I believe you post is a gross exageration. The area has some excellent restaurants e.g. Spiros, Greco's, The Sauce, etc. The area has about all you could ask for in the way of amenities and neighborhood infrastructure.

I shop all the time in the Westbrook Mall, at the Safeway and at Wallmart, and feel completely safe in doing so. Is there the odd petty thief, or car jacking...sure, but minimal in my estimation.

Sure there may be an increase in unsavory type individuals in the LRT area. However, we anticipated this, being so close to the downtown area. I frankly am sorry they took the library out of the Sprucecliff area, as it was great facility, and very well used.

I can think of areas in Calgary that are what you would describe as "sketchy", but this certainly isn't one of them.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #20
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a bum in Mckenzie begging for change last weekend. I shuddered in fear as the city crumbles in front of our very eyes.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote