Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #21
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You should include the date up on the new posts.

1971 DB Cooper jumps from the hijacked plane.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Good point, added, and nice eye, how could I forget DB Cooper

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nov 25

885 - 300 Viking Longboats sail up the Siene River and lay siege to Paris
1783 - The last British troops leave New York 3 months after signing the Treaty of Paris
1863 - The Battle of Missionary Ridge - Ulysses S Grant breaks the Seige of Chattanooga by routing Confederate troops under General Bragg
1915 - Albert Einstein presents the field equations of General Relativity at the Prussian Science Academy
1936 - The German's and Japanese sign the Anti-comintern Treaty agreeing to defend each other from an unprovoked attack by Russia. It is renewed 5 years later
1947 - The Hollywood 10 are blacklisted by Hollywood executives
1952 - Korean War - The Battle of Triangle Hill ends in a defeat of American and South Korean troops by the Chinese
1963 - John F Kennedy is buried at Arlington National Cemetary
1963 - Lee Harvey Oswald buried at in Fort Worth, Texas
1984 - 36 artists gather at the Notting Hill recording studio to record "Do they know its Christmas" to raise awareness of the Ethiopian Famine
1986 - Iran/Contra Affair - Attorney General Edward Meese announces that profits from weapons sales to Iran were funneled to Contra Rebels in Nicaragua
1992 - Czechoslovakia is split into the Czeck Republic and Slovakia
1999 - Eliam Gonzalez is rescued off of the coast of Florida

Notable Birthdays

1844 - Karl Benz
1881 - John Paul XXIII
1902 - Eddie Shore
1914 - Joe Dimaggio
1915 - Augusto Pinochet
1920 - Ricardo Montalban
1960 - John F Kennedy Jr

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2017, 11:24 PM   #24
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Because I'll probably be drunk tomorrow

Nov 26

1778 - Captain Cook becomes the first European to visit Hawaii
1789 - George Washington declares Thanksgiving to be a national holiday
1825 - A group of Students at Union College found the first college Fraternity Kappa Alpha
1842 - The University of Notre Dame is founded
1917 - The NHL is founded the inaugural teams are the Montreal Canadians, the Montreal Wanderers, The Ottawa Senators, The Quebec Bulldogs and the Toronto Arenas
1939 - The shelling of Mainila a Soviet false flag operation to justify the invasion of Finland.
1942 - Casablanca premieres in New York
1950 - The Chinese counterattack the UN and American Troops in North Korea ending any hope of the war ending.
1976 - Anarchy in the UK is released by the Sex Pistols.
1986 - Ronald Reagan announces the members of the Tower Commission
2000 - George Bush is declared the winner in Florida winning the US Election
2003 - The Concorde makes its last flight

Notable Birthdays

1891 - Scott Bradley
1902 - Maurice McDonald, co founder of McDonalds.
1922 - Charles M Schultz
1933 - Robert Goulet
1939 - Tina Turner
1950 - Honey Wilder

Old 11-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #25
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1861 West Virginia created as a result of dispute over slavery with Virginia
1956 The Price is Right debuts on NBC...and its still on
1983 Heathrow Airport, robbed of 6,800 gold bars worth $38.7 million
Old 11-26-2017, 09:03 PM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

2017 Stampeders choke away their second Grey Cup apperance
Old 11-26-2017, 11:04 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nov 27th

176 - Marcus Aurelius grants his son Commodus the rank of Imperator and gives him command of all Roman Legions
1094 - Pope Urban II Declares the first crusade at the Council of Clearmont
1895 - Alfred Nobel signs his last will and testimony setting aside his estate to establish the Nobel Peace Prize
1901 - The US Army War College is founded
1924 - The First Macy's Day Parade
1942 - The French Navy scuttles its ships and Submarines to keep them out of Nazi hands
1964 - The Pentagon tells Lyndon B Johnson that for the war in Vietnam to succeed America has to increase its troop commitment from 120,000 to 400,000
1968 - Penny Ann Early becomes the first woman to play major professional Basketball when she suits up for the Kentucky Colonels of the ABA against the LA Stars
1971 - The Soviet Mars 2 orbiter releases a descent module that malfunctions and crashes becoming the first man made object to reach the surface of Mars
1978 - San Fransisco Mayor George Moscone and Harvey Milk are assasinated by Dan White
2006 - The Canadian Parliament approves a motion by PM Stephen Harper to recognize Quebecois as a nation within Canada

Notable Births

1942 - Jimi Hendrix, 1962 - Davey Boy Smith,

Old 11-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #28
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1960 Gordie Howe becomes 1st NHLer to score 1,000 points
1961 Gordie Howe becomes 1st to play in 1,000 NHL games
Old 11-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #29
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

edit beaten
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #30
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure if requests are allowed, but I love hearing tidbits about early and Medieval Europe. Charlemagne, crooked Popes, Roman conquerors, and extremely wealthy and corrupt noblemen engaging in shenanigans. A lot of today's culture and knowledge comes directly from discoveries and progress during those time periods.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I take requests, but I've also been doing a bit of self editing on this and not throwing up the whole lists obviously.

I can look for more stuff when those events come up.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #32
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Here's a fun one for today - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berners_Street_hoax

Quote:
The Berners Street hoax was perpetrated by Theodore Hook in Westminster, England, in 1810.[1][2] Hook had made a bet with his friend, Samuel Beazley, that he could transform any house in London into the most talked-about address in a week, which he achieved by sending out thousands of letters in the name of Mrs Tottenham, who lived at 54 Berners Street, requesting deliveries, visitors, and assistance.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nov 28th

1520 - Ferdinand Magellan passes through the Straits of Magellan
1811 - Beethoven's Piano Concerto Number 5 in E Flat premieres in Leipzig
1814 - The Times of London becomes the first paper printed with a steam powered printing press
1893 - Woman's Suffrage in New Zealand concludes in the General Election
1895 - The first American automobile race takes place, it is 54 miles long and takes place between Chicago and Evanston Illinois
1905 - Arthur Griffin forms the Sinn Fein Party in Ireland
1919 - Lady Astor becomes the first woman to sit in the British Parliment
1944 - The Tehran Conference takes place as Stalin, Churchill and Stalin meet to discuss war strategy
1964 - Mariner 4 is launched
1971 - The Prime Minister of Jordan is assassinated by Black September
1972 - the last execution takes place in Paris as Claude Buffet and Roger Botems visit the Guillotine
1980 - Iran/Iraq war, the bulk of the Iraqi Navy is destroyed by the Iranian Navy in the Persian Gulf
1989 - The Velvet Revolution, the Czechoslovakian Communist Party gives up its monopoly on political party in the face of massive protests

Notable Birthdays

1929 - Barry Gordy Jr,

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nov 29th

1776 - The American Revolutionary War. The Battle of Fort Cumberland, Nova Scotia comes to an end with the arrival of British re-reinforcements
1781 - The crew of the British slave ship Zong murders 133 Africans by dumping them at sea to claim the insurance
1830 - The November Uprising. An armed rebellion in Poland against Russian rule begins
1864 - The Sand Creek massacre, volunteers under Col John Chivington slaughter 150 Cheyenne and Arapaho non combatants in Colorado Territory
1877 - Thomas Edison demonstrates his phonograph for the first time
1890 - The Meji Constitution goes in effect and the Diet convenes in Japan
1902 - The Pittsburgh Stars beat the Philadelphia Athletics 11-0 to win the first America National Professional Football League Championship
1929 - Admiral Richard Byrd leads the first expedition to fly over the South Pole
1944 - Albania is liberated by Partisans
1945 - The Federal Peoples Republic of Yugoslavia is declared
1947 - The UN approves a plan for the partition of Palestine
1947 - French troops carry out a massacre at My Trach, Vietnam
1961 - Project Mercury, a Chimp named Enos is fired into space, orbits the planet twice and splashes down
1963 - Lyndon B Johnson establishes the Warren Commission to investigate the assassination of JFK
1967 - US Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara resigns
1972 - Atari releases Pong the first commercially successful video game
1987 - North Korean Agents plant a bomb on Korean Airlines flight 858 killing 115 passengers and crew

Notable Births

968 - Kazan Emperor of Japan (K, I just love the name), 1919 - Joe Weider, 1940 - Chuck Mangione, 1949 - Jerry "The King" Lawler,

Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nov 30th

1707 - The second seige of Pensacola, florida ends with the withdrawl of the British
1782 - Representatives of Britain and America sign the preliminary peace articles that would lead to the Treaty of Paris
1803 - Spanish representatives transfer Louisiana to the French, 20 days later the French would transfer the territory to the Americans in the Louisiana Purchase
1864 - The Confederate Army of Tennessee suffers heavy losses to the Union Army of Ohio in the Battle of Franklin
1872 - The first ever International soccer match takes place between England and Scotland at Hamilton Crescent, Glasgow
1939 - The Winter War, Soviet Troops cross into Finland and bomb Helsinki
1942 - Battle of Tassafaronga - a small squardron of Japanese Destroyers defeats and American Cruiser force
1947 - Civil War in Mandatory Palestine leads to the creation of Israel
1954 - The Hodges Meteor crashes through the roof and strikes a lady taking a nap. This is the first recorded case of a person being struck by a rock from space in the Western Hemisphere
1972 - White House Press Secretary Ron Ziegler informs the press that there will be no more announcements about US troop withdrawals from Vietnam as American Troops number less then 27000.
1981 - Soviet and US representatives meet in Europe to discuss a reduction in Intermediate Ballistic Missiles
1982 - Michael Jackson releases Thriller
1995 - Official end of Operation Desert Storm
1998 - Exon and Mobile sign a $73 Billion dollar agreement to merge. ExonMobile becomes the worlds largest company

Notable Births

147 - Annia Aurelia Galeria Faustina (daughter of Marcus Arelius), 539 - Gregory of Tours (Saint), 1835 - Mark Twain, 1872 - John McCrae, 1874 - Winston Churchill, 1915 - Henry Taube (Canadian Nobel Prize Winner), 1929 - Dick Clark, 1930 - G Gordon Liddy, 1959 - Cherrie Currie, 1962 - Bo Jackson,

Old 11-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #36
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

More important than all of that, Jonathan Swift was born in Dublin in 1667.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #37
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1487 The German Beer Purity Law (Reinheitsgebot), is promulgated by Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria stating beer should be brewed from only three ingredients – water, malt and hops
Old 11-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #38
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #39
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm not sure if requests are allowed, but I love hearing tidbits about early and Medieval Europe. Charlemagne, crooked Popes, Roman conquerors, and extremely wealthy and corrupt noblemen engaging in shenanigans. A lot of today's culture and knowledge comes directly from discoveries and progress during those time periods.
I have an advantage, being on the opposite side of the dateline, but I can scratch this itch today.

December 1, 800:
Charlemagne - at the time King of the Franks and Lombards - has journeyed to Rome to judge Pope Leo III on charges of adultery and perjruy. The charges have been brought by relatives of the previous Pope, Adrian I.

Months earlier, hirelings of Adrian's relatives had attacked Pope Leo in an effort to tear out his tongue and eyes, with the goal of rendering him unable to remain in office as Pope. Leo survived the attack - tongue and eyes intact, and travelled to Paderborn to recuperate where he was received with great honor by Charlemagne.

December 1st, Charlemagne holds a council, with representatives of both sides of the issue, and resolves that Leo must swear a holy oath that shall be sufficient to prove his innocence.

Leo will swear the oath on December 23rd, and on Christmas Day, 800 he will crown Charlemagne Imperator Romanorum.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Dec 1st

800 - Charlemange judges the accusations against Pope Leo III at the Vatican
1420 - Henry V enters Paris (must resist temptation on this one)
1824 - Since no candidate received a majority of Electoral College votes the house of representatives is given the task of declaring the winner in accordance with the 12th amendment, in the end John Quincy Adams is declared the winner.
1834 - Slavery is abolished in the Cape Colony in accordance with the Slavery Abolition act of 1833
1862 - Abraham Lincoln re-affirms the need to end slavery as per the Emancipation Proclamation
1865 - Shaw University the first Black University in the Southern States is founded
1913 - The Ford Motor Company activates the first moving assembly line
1918 - The Kingdom of Iceland becomes a sovereign state
1919 - Lady Astor takes her seat in the British Parliament
1924 - The NHL's first American Franchise the Boston Bruins take to the Ice at the Boston Arena
1941 - Emperor Hirohito gives final approval to initiate war against the United States
1952 - The New York News reports on Christine Jorgenson the first notable sex re-assignment surgery
1955 - Rosa Parks refuses to give up her seat on the bus in Montgomery, Alabama and is arrested. This leads to the Bus Boycott
1959 - Start date for the Antarctic treaty which sets it aside as a scientific preserve and bans military activity on the continent
1969 - The first Draft Lottery in the US is held since WW2
1989 - East Germany's Parliament abolishes the provision in their Constitution which granted the East German Communist Party the leading role in the State
1991 - Ukrainian Voters overwhelmingly approve a referendum declaring Independence from the Soviet Union

Notable Births

1081 - Louis VI, 1896- Georgy Zuhkov, 1940 - Richard Pryor, 1949 - Pablo Escobar,