Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #2001
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The thing with modern arenas is that so many of them look the same from the inside. All have one level of bowl seating, followed by suites, another small club level bowl, suites, and then nosebleeds/press level. They don't have character like a baseball (and to a lesser extent, football) stadium can. I understand why all of them follow the same blueprint dimensions because the current trend maximizes revenue.

I figure that the new arena will look the same as Rogers Place, Little Caesars Arena, and any other recent centre does from the inside, but would be nice if they could do some unique touches or substitutions to make it feel unique from any other venue. It would be sweet if the architects could figure out a way to be pioneers in the new trend of arena building. The sporting world has changed now that it's catered more to the fans who watch on TV rather than in person, so teams have to encourage fans to still buy tickets to watch the game live. The in-game experience is the big component of that.

So considering CSEC should be doing what they can do give the new arena personal character, I think it would be a good idea to actually add a western/stampede touch to the name since it's on Stampede property - the western cultural hub of the city. TELUS Corral, WestJet Corral, Scotiabank Corral does come off the tongue well. And it's just a name.

But the design of the building itself should be contemporary. No barn design.
I think I suggested this in an earlier discussion but I think it would be cool to see suites at ice level. Similar design to Cowboys Stadium. Build boxes around the boards utilizing the first two or three rows and then Build the lower bowl seating on top of the suites.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #2002
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

not that I can afford a suite but I would never buy one of those. the sight lines up the ice on the same side would be terrible.

My father-in-laws seats are 110 row 7 and the far end corner on the same side is totally cut off from view from almost the goalpost to corner.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #2003
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
not that I can afford a suite but I would never buy one of those. the sight lines up the ice on the same side would be terrible.

My father-in-laws seats are 110 row 7 and the far end corner on the same side is totally cut off from view from almost the goalpost to corner.
Yeah lower bowl seats can be awful. We seat row 10 one game at the goal line and couldn't see any action past the bench on that side of the ice.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #2004
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Just want to add that the West Village location of land is way too small for a new arena let alone an entertainment district. Also just want to add that the same problems that make the Saddledome a bad location would still exist, just moved west. Just a horrible location. Based on this location the Flames new building would not have mass transit access directly to the building and not require going for a long walk outdoors to reach the arena. The only other Canadian building with that honor? Winnipeg's MTS Centre. Now that's the building and city you want to emulate!
fixed.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #2005
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I think I suggested this in an earlier discussion but I think it would be cool to see suites at ice level. Similar design to Cowboys Stadium. Build boxes around the boards utilizing the first two or three rows and then Build the lower bowl seating on top of the suites.
Not happening for hockey. To preserve sightlines you'd either have to put the suites so far back from the ice or sink them into the grounds and have clear boards. Football has a considerable "out of bounds" area around the playing area that hockey does not. Hockey is played all the way to the outside boundaries most of the time. That's why boards were invented.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #2006
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You sure about that? The Prudential Center sits on a site that is 858,000 square feet. In comparison the Saddledome sits on a site that is 474,000 square feet. Something doesn't jive in your estimation. Also, when is the green line going to be built again? Is it even out of planning? Any line that requires walking outside, like the current setup, seems third rate. And sorry, forgot about Ottawa.
So if people are gifted direct access to the building, what makes them want to go visit the restaurants and bars in the area?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #2007
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Thank you Frequitude, from looking at that map, is it safe the arena will not be in the middle of no where?
Thats the idea from what it sounds like and I have trust that that's what will happen.

And to be clear, "duh" wasn't me being dickish. Just joking that that was Bunk's MS Paint job for us and it is by far the best development plan we've seen to date. And probably spot on what will end up being done.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #2008
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are aware that there is more to an arena footprint than just the actual arena? What about service area? You know, like when deliveries are made, or concert staging is done, or extra service equipment needs to be in place near the building? What about parking? You know, where the thousands of paying fans need to leave their vehicles when they come to the game? But hey, you can cut out arenas in photoshop and past them on a google maps screen capture, so that's all that matters. Don't need any of that other space that it appears every single arena in the world needs.

Seriously, you should probably let CMLC know. I doubt they've looked into this, at all.

It's nice to see how the ridiculous criticisms from certain posters help affirm that this is actually a pretty decent plan. Plunking a big ol' building in the heart of a city is not a simple task. All things considered, this is a no-brainer.

The only place I can think of that might have made as much sense is in the heart of EV (6-8 ave, 4-6 st). CSEC could have even gotten in on the residential/commercial development in the area. But, they didn't, and that ship has sailed.

There is still no rush to get this done - last time I checked the Saddledome isn't crumbling. I would hope that we can expect to get 40+ years out of the new building, so I think it's okay if we hit the 40 year mark on the existing one.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #2009
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Thank you Frequitude, from looking at that map, is it safe the arena will not be in the middle of no where?
They also included a mock up of the area (with under construction and proposed buildings) in the City presentation.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #2010
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That section of the Green line also isn't decided yet. It wouldn't be impossible to route it near or apart of the building and their was a brief discussion about it yesterday.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #2011
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Awesome! Muta, is there a link to that planning? I recall, the city has had conversations around burying the C-Train line under 25th ave. Could make it a heckuva roller coaster for those 1,000 meters or so
No links yet! It's coming though, if something pops up on the City website in the future, I'll link it here for sure.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #2012
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Man, those cowboys suites would be terrible. Field level in the NFL would be watching a bunch of photographers and media personal stand in front of you and watch the game lol.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #2013
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
So if people are gifted direct access to the building, what makes them want to go visit the restaurants and bars in the area?
Who wants to do that anyway. Other than for 1 maybe 1.5-2 months people aren't going to be strolling around in -25 degree weather deciding where to go. I

I would assume people would rather have dinning and bar options however they will know these ahead of time. These ideas work in Nashville and Phoenix California but not so much in winter areas
Old 04-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #2014
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
Sorry, but I sincerely don't follow.

The post I was responding to was someone stating CSEC was asking for the entire West Village to be gifted to them, so they could then build not only CalgaryNEXT, but also take advantage of all surrounding land.
That was never sought.
I know, and i know you're correct regarding that. I just wanted to make you click into that thread given your user name and seeming association to the Flames and/or King.
Kind of trollish of me I guess.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #2015
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

do you think the green line route could be modified to actually stop at the new building? Like it will for the new library?
Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #2016
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Who wants to do that anyway. Other than for 1 maybe 1.5-2 months people aren't going to be strolling around in -25 degree weather deciding where to go. I

I would assume people would rather have dinning and bar options however they will know these ahead of time. These ideas work in Nashville and Phoenix California but not so much in winter areas
And yet places like Whistler village have thriving outdoor shopping and entertainment districts that do so without extensive indoor connecting infrastructure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #2017
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
do you think the green line route could be modified to actually stop at the new building? Like it will for the new library?
Not sure what you mean regarding the new library. The Green Line will not stop at the new library. The library is being built over the South Red Line connection between the 7th Avenue transit mall and the CP Tunnel, but does not have a station attached as part of it.

However, yes there is opportunity to integrate a Green Line station into the arena. This could be done in a variety of configurations. This section of the Green Line does not have an exact vertical alignment approved. It is due to have its alignment approved in June.

Really fortunate that both the arena and the Green Line are both at a stage of their planning/design where there could be some really cool mutually beneficial solutions. A very exciting aspect to these recent developments.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #2018
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
And yet places like Whistler village have thriving outdoor shopping and entertainment districts that do so without extensive indoor connecting infrastructure.
That's cherry picking a bit I think. Whistler village is a ski destination so you would expect to have to be outside. Also Whistler has a coldest average month of -5 Celsius http://www.holiday-weather.com/whistler/averages/
. If we had that there would be no need for any + 15 system in Calgary

I don't think comparing mild temperature Whistler to a freezing Urban setting is an apples to apples comparison at all.

What type of outdoor shopping and entertainment districts do places like Chicago, Minnesota, Denver, Boston, Toronto and Montreal have? These would be closer comparisons
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #2019
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Considering nothing is set in stone yet for either, sure.

Btw, the train won't actually stop inside the Library...it just goes under it.

edit: nm, frinkprof already answered this.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:09 PM   #2020
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I know, and i know you're correct regarding that. I just wanted to make you click into that thread given your user name and seeming association to the Flames and/or King.
Kind of trollish of me I guess.
More dickish than trollish, and certainly pointless.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread