Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #1021
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Both McDavid and Talbot seem like they are legit. Wherever the team ends up at the end of the year, those two pretty much assure that it is only a matter of time before they put it together, maybe as soon as this year.

That being said, Montreal went 18-4-3 in October and November last season and still missed the playoffs. I know Price's injury was a big part of that, but I wouldn't put it past the Oilers to pull something similar.
Seem legit? McDavid is legit. He's IMO the best offensive player in the NHL already and will be better in a few years. He's a game changer and it sucks that the least deserving team in the NHL fluked into the magic lottery balls but it is what it is. Talbot's playing well and quite frankly so is the rest of the team. I have no idea how long their solid play will last but it appears they are not going to be doormats this season.

Really though they have to be good right now. As silly as this sounds the next few years is really their Stanley Cup window as guys like Talbot and Lucic will never be better than they are today as they will have several young players coming off their ELC's as Draisaitl's agent will expect $6 millon, McDavid is going to command a record deal and even guys like Nurse will be getting raises, meaning that the team will have to shed a fair bit of salary. This team will look completely different in two seasons.
Old 10-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #1022
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Gotta give the oilers credit. They have come out the gates extremely well. The one game they faltered and the coach hammered them by taking away an off day (rules be damned ).

That's fine, but if you insist on giving the Oilers any credit, then do it in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #1023
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went to the game, first time in the new arena, and there are some very nice things there but I thought I would be much more impressed than I was.

some tidbits:

-It felt very clinical - no atmosphere.

-ceiling was leaking in several places (concourse, bathroom etc)
bathroom closest to main entrance has 5 urinals, and I believe 4 stalls - there is so much much room at this place but they cram tiny little bathrooms in.

-The sound system is INCREDIBLY BAD - it sounds like all of the sound is coming from one speaker inside the scoreboard, and it sounds like it was tuned by some 16 year old DB (MOOAAR BASS!!!) - you truly couldn't hear what was being said half of the time.

-Hunter is as awful up close as he is in pics/videos.

-I am sure its due to cost, but there were very few children at the game - I really hope that if/when the flames get a new barn, they don't price families out of it.

-We had good lower bowl seats and there was still a plethora of sweatpants around.

-The arena is nice for sure, but I was expecting a lot more (don't know why)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sutter_in_law For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #1024
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmaker View Post
Both McDavid and Talbot seem like they are legit. Wherever the team ends up at the end of the year, those two pretty much assure that it is only a matter of time before they put it together, maybe as soon as this year.

That being said, Montreal went 18-4-3 in October and November last season and still missed the playoffs. I know Price's injury was a big part of that, but I wouldn't put it past the Oilers to pull something similar.
Talbot was legit last season too. Basically he's the only reason they didn't finish 30th again.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #1025
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Talbot was legit last season too. Basically he's the only reason they didn't finish 30th again.
53GP, 21WW, 27L 5OTL, .917

These are not great numbers, unless you are following the other dumpster fire(s) in Edmonton.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:14 AM   #1026
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
The one game they faltered and the coach hammered them by taking away an off day (rules be damned ).
Still perpetuating that myth?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #1027
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

These are not great numbers, unless you are following the other dumpster fire(s) in Edmonton.
917 is pretty darn good playing for a team as bad as the Oilers IMO.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #1028
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Peter Chiarelli ‏@FakeOilersGM 10h10 hours ago
Starting to worry about our draft position…
https://twitter.com/FakeOilersGM/sta...94934968741888
Old 10-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #1029
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fall will be glorious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #1030
kmart
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter_in_law View Post
I went to the game, first time in the new arena, and there are some very nice things there but I thought I would be much more impressed than I was.

some tidbits:

bathroom closest to main entrance has 5 urinals, and I believe 4 stalls - there is so much much room at this place but they cram tiny little bathrooms in.

-The sound system is INCREDIBLY BAD - it sounds like all of the sound is coming from one speaker inside the scoreboard, and it sounds like it was tuned by some 16 year old DB (MOOAAR BASS!!!) - you truly couldn't hear what was being said half of the time.

-I am sure its due to cost, but there were very few children at the game - I really hope that if/when the flames get a new barn, they don't price families out of it.

-We had good lower bowl seats and there was still a plethora of sweatpants around.

I went there a couple of weeks ago for a concert. Thought it felt like an airport more than an arena. Concessions weren't great as well. It was clean though, just more to be desired for a new stadium.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #1031
Alpine Fisher
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
I went there a couple of weeks ago for a concert. Thought it felt like an airport more than an arena. Concessions weren't great as well. It was clean though, just more to be desired for a new stadium.
What the Flames are proposing with Calgary Next will be just as bad IMO.
Based on the terrible renderings, the football stadium seems like an airport / mall and the arena looks like the Bankers Hall 4 level mall with the high tiered wall of boxes.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #1032
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

some tidbits:

No matter what shape or form this project takes, I will guarantee that families will be priced out. Families are basically priced out now, add 30% more for the flame and a ticket tax and the greens (currently 50-75 bucks) will be 100+ for a tuesday game in january against the florida panthers.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #1033
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
I think the airport comment is pretty spot on actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Fisher View Post
What the Flames are proposing with Calgary Next will be just as bad IMO.
Based on the terrible renderings, the football stadium seems like an airport / mall and the arena looks like the Bankers Hall 4 level mall with the high tiered wall of boxes.
I agree, although, I am more and more convinced that CalgaryNext is just a smokescreen for what they actually want. I just hope whatever we eventually get has some sort of vibe to it, not so sterile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
No matter what shape or form this project takes, I will guarantee that families will be priced out. Families are basically priced out now, add 30% more for the flame and a ticket tax and the greens (currently 50-75 bucks) will be 100+ for a tuesday game in january against the florida panthers.
I agree, I think its inevitable. That being said, I think when it happens the Roughnecks and Hitmen will thrive - which isn't the worst thing.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #1034
McClintock
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

some tidbits:

Ive been to 3 games this year and ive yet to see someone wearing sweatpants at the new barn. Its a joke thats old and tired. A jab that isnt necessary.

Also, cant see how you can say the sound is bad. I thought it was totally fine for hockey. I attended a concert there and the sound actually blew me away, way better than i expected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McClintock For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #1035
McClintock
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

Those numbers also included his bed soiling early on in the season.

He was great from basically December and onwards. Seems to have found his game early this season which is huge.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #1036
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I went to the first-preseason game and have some observations as well:

First, we went down early to walk around the whole building to take it all in. The first thing you need to contend with is that this is a very vertical building with seven levels. At Rexall, you walk in at grade and can get anywhere you need to from that level without too much fuss. Not so at Rogers but people will figure it out fairly quickly I think ..... well, Edmontonians, time will tell. The place is much bigger with wider concourses and more food and drink selection. Still not at American levels of choice and convenience, by and large, but significantly better than Rexall. One thing I noticed as a little bit odd is that there is not a profusion of signage and far fewer video screens than I thought there'd be for a state of the art building.

Next, we went for dinner at the Curves restaurant. Super expensive with average food. NY strip was $48, if memory serves, and it was one of those really thin, hard to cook accurately steaks that, sure enough, was over done. To their credit they took it off the bill without qualm. A 9oz glass of Wolf Blass Yellow Label was $19. The service was fairly slow but I put that down to growing pains as much as anything because with the limited menu and lots of staff they should be able to up their service speed with a little experience.

Our seats were in the first row of the upper bowl. At the 'Dome, and most other venue's, these would be primo seats to watch hockey. Not at Rogers. There is a large vertical distance between the lower and upper bowls due to the ring of corporate boxes and the loge level so you are a long way from the action. The loge level is really cool, gotta say, with two tiers of four-spot tables with bar stools and a ring of seats overlooking the ice. This would be a premium game or event experience. The loge level is private like the corporate boxes and it looks like they are not even available for concerts or other events.

That said, there are some serious design deficiencies in the upper bowl. First the steps are very steep, more so than the upper bowl of Commonwealth. Not good for people that don't get up and down all that well or drunken red necks in their 30 year old Pouzar jerseys, ffs. Second, THERE ARE NO CUP HOLDERS! Who spends $500M and doesn't put in a cup holder for every seat? Completely asinine decision by someone. So there you are fudging around with drinks n' #### at your feet just like Rexall. Such an Edmonton thing to do. I bet Lowe signed off on that. The seats seemed a little wider and the knee room was ok.

Third, there is a 12" - 14" high pane of glass directly in front of you meaning that the first two rows of seats have their vision impaired with the line of the top of the glass across your sight lines to the ice. This is terrible design. You have to scrunch down to see the whole ice surface through the glass but when that got too frustrating I ended up watching the game on the scoreboard. If they did one thing well it's the scoreboard. In fact, there's a bit of the ATT Stadium effect going on at Rogers where the scoreboard is so big and in awesome high def that you find you are watching much of the game on the screen instead of what's happening on the ice.

All in all, the new Edmonton arena is glitzy and new but it's noticeably more expensive. Domestic beer is $11. I was told that a hot dog at an Oil Kings game is $4.50 but $7 at an Oilers game and it's precisely the same product. May be BS but I wouldn't be surprised.

The logistics of getting to and from the venue are a challenge for anyone intent on driving. While the Oilers and the City keep repeating that there are thousands of parking spots within a ten minute walk of the venue, the City will not approve / rezone an open air 4000 stall gravel lot immediately beside the rink due to downtown business-owner nimbyism.

On top of that, the City, and a bunch of the private lots, have upped their parking rates or have extended day-time pricing into the evenings. And just to salt the wounds, the City have unleashed the by-law brown shirts and by October 21st they had issued more than $125K in parking tickets.

Probably some learning's here for Calgary Next.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #1037
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClintock View Post
Ive been to 3 games this year and ive yet to see someone wearing sweatpants at the new barn. Its a joke thats old and tired. A jab that isnt necessary.

Also, cant see how you can say the sound is bad. I thought it was totally fine for hockey. I attended a concert there and the sound actually blew me away, way better than i expected.
That wasn't a jab, I get that its an "old and tired joke" but there is obvious truth to it, I was in the lower bowl on Talbots blocker side and there were 4 separate gentlemen that were wearing sweatpants to the game, one guy's barely came halfway down his calf to expose his white socks and hiking shoes -I am not making this up to make fun of anyone, it was an observation and it was 100% true, at least in my section (130)

The sound was atrocious, maybe it is better in the upper bowl or on the sides, but in the lower bowl in the corner it was downright awful - the bass was cranked so that you couldn't hear anything else - the pregame lightshow had a bunch of house music, and it sounded decent for that, but the pregame video, announcing etc was absolutely brutal.

I didn't come in here to rag on the building, I actually expected to be pretty impressed by it, some things were good, others were indeed no good
Old 10-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #1038
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not to mention the sound for concerts is completely different than the sound for games. Bands bring in their own equipment for concerts...

Did you really think that artists are going to come to town and blast their music through the jumbo tron speakers?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #1039
McClintock
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Not to mention the sound for concerts is completely different than the sound for games. Bands bring in their own equipment for concerts...

Did you really think that artists are going to come to town and blast their music through the jumbo tron speakers?
Oh for sure. Its not even comparable. The jumbrotron ascends to the ceiling and and then the "rafters" come down, which is where the speakers are, just saying that it impressed me considering the size of the space. I didnt find it to be bad when watching hockey. But yeah maybe its worse the lower you get but i didnt notice it either way.

think the song choices were the worst part, i mean weve come along way since cotten eye joe but theyve been playing horrible pump up music.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #1040
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
917 is pretty darn good playing for a team as bad as the Oilers IMO.
You are doing it wrong.

E=NG

Fall in line.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Closed Thread