Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #61
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The Olympics need to get back to its roots and the IOC become a respected organization before I'd want Calgary or any other Canadian city participating anymore. It seems like a huge money grab the way its run.

There is so much corruption associated with what goes on, it has lost its lustre to me. Russia has a lot to do with that, but so does China.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 PM   #62
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that the corruption started with juan antonio samarach and friends. countries got duped into believing that "the games can't lose money like a man can't have a child" and they go nuts. nobody can ever figure out how much everything really costs because the costs of things are buried, and once you commit to the games, there is no going back - you can't leave building half built.

lets not forget about how the price of almost everything will rise in this city leading up to the games as Olympic pricing takes hold.

personally, if the city thinks it has money for the games, then just skip the whole bid process (which costs millions just for that phase) and just build some new rinks and sliding centers, curling facilities, whatever. it will be far cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #63
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Someone's just kicking tires. I doubt this goes any further.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #64
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Annalise Klingbeil ‏@AnnaliseAK
Calgary Sports Tourism Association is recommending to council that a committee explore Olympic bid for 2026 Winter Games. #yyccc #yyc

Preliminary economic analysis says games could generate $3.7 billion in GDP to economy.

Presentation by CSTA is covering the benefits of the Olympic Games. "Why do we believe it can be done, because we've done it before."

Marco De Iaco says hosting games will increase sense of belonging in Calgary, significant benefits to Calgary.

CSTA has prepared cost estimate of Olympic bid exploration. $5 million budget, says some $ would be raised privately to offset costs

Presentation done,? now. @Ward4Ward1 asks about timing. CSTA says there's key decesion dates over 14 months, then decide if go to IOC

Demong says he's concerned with $5 million cost to look at bid.

Olympic bid proposal was presented to council behind closed doors. If recommendations are passed, then some of report will be made public

Doug Mitchell says IOC has asked COC if Calgary would put forward an Olympic bid. "We have a great reputation with IOC."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #65
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Re new arena... Fielding says city is considering infrastructure in various parts of the city and this could mesh nicely with that. #yyccc

Scott Dippel ‏@CBCScott 10m10 minutes ago
Admin review of CSTA document is "there's work to do" but do-able. Worth spending up to $5 m to answer questions. #yyccc
Old 06-20-2016, 07:55 PM   #66
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

News Update

Scott Dippel ‏@CBCScott
#yyccc votes in favour of funding exploratory Olympic bid study. 12-2. Farrell and Chu against. Keating absent.

Scott Dippel ‏@CBCScott
@nenshi calls vote a "big deal." He says the risk is worth it to again make Calgary a centre of winter sport. #yyccc

Looks like they are going to explore it
Old 06-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #67
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hooray!!!
Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #68
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad. Can't hurt to explore feasibility.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #69
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
the no good NDP running this province for 3 more years, people simply won't want this.
Quote:
the province figures to be in deep trouble financially with the NDP
Quote:
Unless the NDP going full commie happens
Quote:
They see taxes going up, they see the NDP being the NDP
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to vanisleflamesfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #70
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I'm mixed on this.

On the one hand, the idea of Calgary hosting a "budget Olympics" sounds promising, and it would give a case for additional federal funding of the infrastructure projects, such as the Green Line LRT, and even a new arena. Do some renos to the facilities we already have.

On the other hand, the thought of having a "budget Olympics" probably doesn't exist in the minds of the IOC. If that is the case, then there is no reason why we should want to have this, considering how most recent Olympics have left countries with massive debt. Given how much folks around here complain about governments racking up debt, I can't see why there would be much support of hosting an Olympic bid that does this.

If a budget games doesn't make sense to the IOC then there won't be a winter city to host them in 2026.

The list of cities willing to spend on this is very small.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:43 PM   #71
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Where is Ric maciver when you really need him....what a waste of $5 m.....I'd rather have seen the city draw a name out of the hat and make 5 random calgarian said millionaires
Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #72
Blarg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Where is Ric maciver when you really need him....what a waste of $5 m.....I'd rather have seen the city draw a name out of the hat and make 5 random calgarian said millionaires
You mean 5 of his closest friends?
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #73
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heidi and Spendy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Hooray!!!
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:59 PM   #74
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

You down with ndp? 'Yeah you know me!'

Wonder what the weather will be like in 2026
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:25 PM   #75
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Over the line.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 06-21-2016 at 04:11 AM.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:35 PM   #76
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
MOD EDIT: Removed post.
Agree or disagree with someone, language like that is totally uncalled for.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 06-21-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #77
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gotta love the speed at which some of this stuff gets approved, in the blink of an eye. Projects that are either urgently needed, make a lot of sense or have been in the works/plans for decades are always being redirected back to administration for "further review and analysis" $5 mil for an Olympic bid to make some people feel superior? No problem.

Ask yourself about Tourism Olympics? When was the last time anybody truly traveled to a summer or winter Olympic city specifically cause they liked what was shown on tv? Probably not many at all.

The real cost of the Olympic games these days are in the dirty details that a lot of people don't usually like to look into. If for example a LRT extension to the airport is of such significance than get the dam thing approved right away but we all know that won't happen. If it's tied to an Olympic bid, then all of a sudden it get's approved?? What a joke! This is nothing but crap for people to feel better about themselves in a lot of ways. If this was such a true economic boost from a construction, tourism and legacy perspective than cities and countries would truly be lining up to host these games.

People will always point to the 88 games as a model of how to do them right financially but the truth is a lot of true costs were left out of the final reports because the arguments were made the infrastructure was needed for the city and not the games. This is true but it also highlights the shell game to hide true costs. The 88 games were very successful but for every successful one there is are plenty of financial disasters that nobody is pointing to.

Rio: Regional area has declared a state of economic emergency to assist with public services during the games. Final results still to be determined.

Athens: The birthplace of the games and host of the 2004 Olympics. The games assisted with helping build some much-needed infrastructure but that needed to be done anyhow. The vast facilities built for the games have been rotting away for years. Some of the fault does lie with the Greek Government for this but don't forget that you don't get a choice of which venues to build, everything needs to be built and the ongoing operating costs are born by all. The most recent use for a lot of these facilities? Housing Syrian refugee's and others fleeing war-torn countries affected in Africa and the Middle East.

Montreal: Financial disaster all around. Wasn't alive then but I always hear the stories about how badly the corruption.

The list goes on but I don't have the energy to write anymore. The Olympic games are a financial gamble! Anybody who knows anything about gambling will tell you, you always hear about the winnings but you rarely hear about the losses.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #78
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I can tell you that this has been in the works for at least 4 years. A lot of preliminary behind the scenes work by CSTA, leading to this. It hasn't popped out of nowhere, but this is the first step in a public conversation about a bid.

I was thinking about venue needs - in Vancouver they had both Rogers arena and Pacific coliseum for the hockey, short track and figure skating events.

I always assumed you'd need two arenas to host these days - but for hockey would it be worthwhile doing a London 2012 soccer thing and have the hockey tournament all across the country? I think that would be kind of neat. Might eliminate the need for two arenas active during the olympics.

Last edited by Bunk; 06-20-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 11:54 PM   #79
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I would use the Red Deer Centrium as the 2nd hockey facility.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 PM   #80
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I would use the Red Deer Centrium as the 2nd hockey facility.
Or do curling up there.