Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Cory Sarich - Bob Hartley "was the worst coach I ever had"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-morning/

it's a long audio clip. The Hartley stuff is around 1:05

"I could even take Mike Keenan and the head games that he played, but with Bob it was mental warfare"

some interesting tidbits:

blasted Hartley's defensive system, D-men not allowed to reverse the puck to exit the zone. Sounds like he told Feaster/Burke this during his exit meeting with Hartley in the room

Sarich healthy scratch for 11 consecutive games, Hartley learns that he had a few beers the day before a game, so he dresses him to show him up

Last edited by Canada 02; 01-17-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I heard that this morning, very interesting. I hadn’t heard anything that direct before, but it made me understand why he got fired. Sarich seems like a genuine guy, and when he actually ranks Keenan ahead of Hartley, you can tell how much Hartley was disliked. And that stuff about not allowing reversing of the puck, wow.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 10:40 PM   #3
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Taken with a grain of salt I always enjoy this stuff.

It goes to show you that we don't know crap about what goes on behind closed doors. I also think it's a huge lack of professionalism. Treat the players like kids.

Another exhibit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQyEJpPSLdQ

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

This was an awesome interview; apparently BoB wouldn't let the D reverse in their own zone
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #5
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

You heard Hartley was a hard ass. Roy said he was an animal. Then the team performed. Kids were good and used more than a Sutter would have. Fitness levels were high. And Hartley interviews on 960 were light and made him likeable. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Damn.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Perry Berezan said in one article Hartley's not very kind to his players either.

Someone else talking about Hartley said that Hartley was the only coach who he'd seen players specifically add to their no trade clause, because they didn't want to play for him that badly.

Here's the one with Berezan talking about what he saw from him, I can't find the other article though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tley-1.3564964
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #7
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't doubt any of this. And while I think it was absolutely the best decision to move along from him when we did... I'll always love that crazy S.O.B. for that wild crazy comeback season that culminated in yet another playoff series victory over Vancouver. Despite it's fundamental flaws, that was an exciting season to watch and I do think it did a lot of good for the offensive confidence of Johnny and Monny etc.

Having said that wouldn't be surprised to not see him get another NHL head coaching gig again. Unless maybe Montreal is looking for that specific brand of chaos some day.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #8
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering how thin the team was during his time here he did wonders with them.

The d was especially atrocious. I can understand why he had that rule.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #9
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

With Hartley being a hard ass and Roy calling him an animal, that's kinda what Berezan touches on in the above article about his "knee to the groin" coaching.

It worked to get our team to the second round, but that was the very ceiling of that team. It worked for a cup in Colorado, but at the same time he had like 8 hall of famers, and they tuned him out the next season after their peak. I liked Hartley, but it does make sense if those are more so the reasons he got canned, rather than exclusively the performance of that final season.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
ViKen
Draft Pick

...and to think that the Jack Adams trophy is awarded to the "best coach" during the season. Imagine how players wanted to spit in his drink and piss in his cornflakes after he was nominated and ended up winning. I for one would take Cory's word for it. With the feedback from everyone I know who've ever had moments with Sarich, the feedback has been overwhelmingly on the side of someone having great integrity and natural leadership... just someone who people gravitate towards. It's a shame that he ended his tenure as a Flame on such a bitter note.

Last edited by ViKen; 01-17-2018 at 11:51 PM.
ViKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:16 AM   #11
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the golfing story was kind of funny haha
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #12
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Other good stuff from Sarich :

- Tortorella, after a really bad game by Sarich, told Sarich how bad of a dman he is but having said that, he was still the best dman he had so he needs to play him

- commented on how Giordano brings it 100% of the time, including practice. Admitted it's maybe too much sometimes because as a player you may not be 100% that day but not Gio.

- likes Jankowski's game and feels he's been consistent. Feels he could probably be more physical.

- like Giordano's game and when he was asked specifically about Hamonic, responded that he feels that Hamonic has been better of late.

- feels that the Flames aren't physical enough. Warrener chimed in and agreed and feels that Flames have enough of the horses to be physical (Ferland, Tkachuk, Frolik, entire third line and entire fourth line) and talked about the benefits of dumping the puck in and pursuing and hitting the other team's dmen as a way to tire them out. Pinder countered that it seems that coaches in general are steering away from this strategy now with maintain possession now being the preferred approach over giving the puck to the other team.

Always like hearing ex-players talk about the details of the game.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 AM   #13
Buck Murdock
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViKen View Post
...and to think that the Jack Adams trophy is awarded to the "best coach" during the season. Imagine how players wanted to spit in his drink and piss in his cornflakes after he was nominated and ended up winning. I for one would take Cory's word for it. With the feedback from everyone I know who've ever had moments with Sarich, the feedback has been overwhelmingly on the side of someone having great integrity and natural leadership... just someone who people gravitate towards. It's a shame that he ended his tenure as a Flame on such a bitter note.
Two sides to every story.....trying to control a group of multi-millionaires would be huge challenge. I'm sure Bob has a few zingers about ole Cory as well.
Buck Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buck Murdock For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 05:00 AM   #14
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really surprising considering some of the things we have heard about Hartley being a hard ass and the fact Sarich spent a good chunk of that season riding the pine and then was shipped out of town in a lopsided trade.

I always liked Bob and 2014/15 will always be one of the most memorable Flames season but he did seem like a coach with a short shelf life and it was a good decision when he was let go. That last comment about showing up Sarich makes me like him more though. Having drinks the day before the game showed Sarich had stopped caring so Hartley sent a message to always be prepared.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:13 AM   #15
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's gotta be a scary transition because Hartley is always laughing and cracking jokes in the media. Like a Jekyll and Hyde coach.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #16
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Obligatory...

Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:33 AM   #17
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it seems like Hartley was a porcupine at a balloon party
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #18
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Hrudey mentions in his book that he was chatting with some Flames players and they said Hartley felt that even one drink would lead to alcoholism and that they werent allowed to drink.
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sample00 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #19
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was former Avs enforcer Parker also calling hartley a bully.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/f...y-was-a-bully/

With multiple sources, safe to say he wasn't liked. So glad they got rid of him, for me he ranks right up there with Gilbert as one of the worst Flames coaches.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a few examples that show Hartley crossed the line from hard ass to total #######. It seemed he was one of those mean spirited coaches that if he didn't like you that was it just like with Baertschi. You can understand why so many players spoke out to Treliving that they didn't like playing for him.

Hartley did some good things as he had the team play above expectations for a few seasons and installed confidence in the players that they could overcome any deficit. However his defensive system was woefully outdated as was his professionalism with the players and those two things ultimately did him in. There's a reason he hasn't been hired in the league since and that's because he's simply an out of date coach.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote