Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #161
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he's in a slump but he's 35 years old and he's been playing too much. Would be nice to see Rittich get more starts especially at home where Smith appears to be struggling.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #162
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Why is it Smith's fault we don't score goals??

We could barely get out of our zone clean last night which continues to be a big problem for this team. Turnovers and turnovers and we might as well be running a bakery.

Smith is fine and is getting no run support .....this team which is so bloody inconsistent playing defence needs to be more accountable.

Giordano on the radio yesterday before the game was patting the team on the back saying they cleaned things up and we're making fewer mistakes. Um, really??
We have a long way to go so I'd say stop high fiving each other and play a lot better.....your goalie would appreciate it.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:53 AM   #163
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who said it was Smith's fault we don't score goals? The margins between winning and losing are slim even when you play well as evidenced by the other night in Minnesota when they missed open nets. Smith can't be letting in soft goals with under 3 minutes remaining in tie games against division rivals. Nobody is saying that he needs to be benched or anything but he's on pace to play 70+ games which is far too much for any goaltender let alone one that's 35 years old.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 12-15-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #164
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think thats an entirely fair point and now that we've seen Rittich handle himself quite well I don't think its out of the question to give him a few more starts and give Smith a bit more rest. They can start with the game tomorrow. The team needs a shake up at home, and Smith has played well against Vancouver. Give Rittich the Preds game.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #165
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Smith can only be successful if he's given some more time off with Rittich here.
Rittich is a damn good goalie and its such a waste watching him sit when he can definitely help.
Both of these guys will be the only reason we can even think about getting into the playoffs bit that said we still need this team to play better in front of them which they aren't.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #166
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith is not struggling. He is playing well, just not as well as he did to begin the year.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #167
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumpin' this thread, because Mike "Jesus'' Smith is awesome.

Quote:
Mike Smith is in the midst of a renaissance season in which the 35-year-old goalie is being feted regularly for carrying the Flames on his back.

On Monday he was named the NHL’s second star of the week for a 3-0 record that has helped the Flames enter their mid-season break on a seven-game winning streak.
Quote:
That would be an imposing, poised, reliable, durable and self-assured backstop who has given the Flames what they’ve been missing since Miikka Kiprusoff’s second-last season in 2012: a chance every night.
Quote:
“He needed to come to a hockey market and really feel the importance of hockey,” said Burke.

“No disrespect to Arizona – I played there, I love it and I live there — but for a guy like him who is that competitive there comes a time in your career you want to know when you step on the ice it matters. He senses that and he’s taken advantage of it.”
Quote:
“It was a no-brainer. He’s an athlete. He’s got four kids too. It matures you. He doesn’t step on the ice any more thinking about his next contract. He steps on and thinks about winning and making his family proud. That’s nice when you get to that point in our career.”
http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hock...c-eebef7cf586a

Mike Smith plays like a man possessed. He was a controversial acquisition this past summer. Most of us (myself included) figured we needed a goalie who didn't lose us games like had happened in the past, and Smith could hopefully be that guy. Instead, we get a goalie who is putting on a pretty elite performance all season long. I don't think anybody really thought he'd be this good.

I have no fears watching him get shelled for a bit, a breakaway, or any type of odd man rush. Goals that beat him are usually perfect shots. I can probably count the number of weak goals on 1 hand. It's been so long since I've felt this confident in a Flames' goalie.

Plain and simple, Mike Smith is the man!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-16-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #168
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't have a goalie, you don't have a chance.

The Flames have a goalie.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #169
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was lukewarm on the idea when I heard it, but got to credit Treliving for knocking this one out of the park. He was bang on and Smith has been a revelation.

His intensity and desire to battle on every play / shot is formidable. He's always got that crazy look in his eyes when the camera zooms in. Love it.

And while there's a dicy moment every now and then with the puck play, there's no doubt that overall it's a net-positive. Teams that aren't aware learn pretty quick it's not a good idea to just dump it in. The amount of times he quick-starts transition play with a good pass is awesome.

All in all (especially given the length of his contract when we acquired it) I can't think of an option that would have been better.

You can see how bad he wants it, and I think he's going to be monstrous for us as the games get more important in April and beyond!
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #170
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the old saying?...

"Goaltending is 70% of hockey. Unless you don't have a good goalie, and then it's 100%"

Last year, goaltending was 100%. This year it's 70%.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 PM   #171
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know how to embed a tweet on tablet, but Haynes tweeted out an amusing fun fact about the goaltending payroll for Arizona. Smith is the highest paid goalie.

Quote:
Darren Haynes‏Verified account
@DarrenWHaynes

Glancing at the Coyotes payroll, Mike Smith providing some great value in net.
- Smith | $1.4M | 20-13-3, .924 SV%
- Raanta | $1M | 6-12-3, .915 SV%
- Wedgewood | $650K | 4-7-4, .894 SV%

Wait, what?

9:50 AM - 16 Jan 2018

Last edited by Robbob; 01-17-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #172
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
What's the old saying?...

"Goaltending is 70% of hockey. Unless you don't have a good goalie, and then it's 100%"

Last year, goaltending was 100%. This year it's 70%.
Totally agree. But Elliott was a huge reason why the flames made the playoffs. He went on an epic run right up until the playoffs. And then he shat the bed trainspotting style.

If we make the playoffs, which is still a massive hill to climb, the real test will be what Smith does in the playoffs. I (and we) are obviously homers, but if we got Smith level goaltending last year against Anaheim, I think we had a great chance to win the series. I think we would have won it.

The only team that scares me in the west over a seven game series is Nashville. I think we’re dogs in that series. Maybe Winnipeg if they are firing on all cylinders. Any other team, I love our chances if we get the tending we have been getting all year.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #173
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Totally agree. But Elliott was a huge reason why the flames made the playoffs. He went on an epic run right up until the playoffs. And then he shat the bed trainspotting style.

If we make the playoffs, which is still a massive hill to climb, the real test will be what Smith does in the playoffs. I (and we) are obviously homers, but if we got Smith level goaltending last year against Anaheim, I think we had a great chance to win the series. I think we would have won it.

The only team that scares me in the west over a seven game series is Nashville. I think we’re dogs in that series. Maybe Winnipeg if they are firing on all cylinders. Any other team, I love our chances if we get the tending we have been getting all year.
He was also a huge reason for the necessity for the 'Epic Run.'

He let in some terrible goals and frankly, a case could be made that the solid run by Johnson is really what saved that season.

Elliott eventually got his act together but in the interim Johnson won a bunch of games when it mattered.

Again, my main objection to Elliott is that as a starting goaltender in the NHL you have to have a decent baseline. You cant be 'God' for a few weeks and then complete garbage afterwards, you've got to maintain a baseline somewhere in the middle for the most part.

He did not.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #174
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

“That’s a talent. That’s no different to me than how Brett Hull shoots the puck or how Wayne Gretzky sees the ice. You can work on it but that’s just a natural ability he has that very few have. Marty Brodeur maybe had somewhat close to that, but Smitty’s the very best.”

Sean Burke on Mike Smith’s puckhandling.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:53 AM   #175
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
...The only team that scares me in the west over a seven game series is Nashville. I think we’re dogs in that series. Maybe Winnipeg if they are firing on all cylinders. Any other team, I love our chances if we get the tending we have been getting all year.
I generally agree, but I would still expect any series with Nashville to be tightly contested. I would also replace Winnipeg with Dallas. The Flames have owned the Jets, and they are also a very average road team. Teams that struggle on the road tend not to do well in playoff series’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 PM   #176
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"For the first time all season the Flames lost this one because they did not get enough saves" - Loubo

Rough game buddy.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #177
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smith is the last person I'll blame for the loss. Probably his only true 'rough' game this season.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #178
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Tough game, but I believe that he'll bounce back strong.

But even he'll admit that this loss was pretty much on him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #179
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
"For the first time all season the Flames lost this one because they did not get enough saves" - Loubo

Rough game buddy.
Literally the most consistent player all year with the highest compete level.

Nice one buddy.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:15 PM   #180
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Smith didn’t have it tonight, but his fire burns brighter than almost everyone else. He’ll be back and this will just be a blip on the radar when it’s all said and done.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: