Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #21
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
I get the feeling from other free agents that until Calgary fixes:
- coaching/goaltending
-compete (same dreary play year after year since the blip in '04 and '15)
- small town feel issues (arena, media coverage pre and post game, Flames tv, etc)
-enter into 2018 as a relevant franchise, (see Vegas, Vancouver, hate to say it but Edmonton, and all of the California franchises intro's and in game entertainment),

I don't think many are excited. At all. One interview and an immediate hire is indicative of how this franchise keeps flopping on it's face. It's starting to wear thin.
Lol...maybe the arena is relevant but the other stuff? Come on now
Old 05-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #22
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
I get the feeling from other free agents that until Calgary fixes:
- coaching/goaltending
-compete (same dreary play year after year since the blip in '04 and '15)
- small town feel issues (arena, media coverage pre and post game, Flames tv, etc)
-enter into 2018 as a relevant franchise, (see Vegas, Vancouver, hate to say it but Edmonton, and all of the California franchises intro's and in game entertainment),

I don't think many are excited. At all. One interview and an immediate hire is indicative of how this franchise keeps flopping on it's face. It's starting to wear thin.
What free agents are telling you this? Where have you seen/heard/read the opinions of free agents specifically regarding Calgary?

This seems more like stuff you made up in your head. The arena MIGHT play a part but to suggest the relaxed media and in-game entertainment plays any negative part in deciding where to go is downright laughable.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #23
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Well this isn't good. He can't see that the Flames are in fact - terrible: slow, uncreative and one dimensional.
Yes, it's good. He's setting the bar high - for the team, and for himself.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #24
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not expecting great things, but still hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I think Treliving is probably the root of the problem as he hired GG because he wanted a guy to deliver a specific type of play. When forced into firing GG I think he's gone out to get a guy to deliver the same but is hoping for better results. My impression is that Treliving likes control and has a vision of a team with predictable systematic play. To me, that is super boring. This is a low point in my Flames fandom as I feel the franchise is about to waste more years of a team that has players I actually really like. Hoping Peters proves me wrong.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #25
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was good, until they hired a coach.

They should have just saved the money and gone coachless. That would have been some Apple level courage right there.

Peters will be more of the same FGG style hockey. We will be out of our minds upset by Thanksgiving.

(I was negative on Smith, and since that worked out well for the Flames I am trying the same thing for Peters)
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #26
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird ... I thought Calgary was solidly in the playoffs and playoff race until their number one goalie got hurt late in the year...

Now ppl talk like Calgary was in the running for a top 5 pick?
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #27
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Yeah look at William Karlsson, was a poor one dimensional player that couldn't score while dumping the puck over and over under Tortorella. Dumped in the expansion draft. No idea what the Knights saw in him.

I am still so annoyed that Brodie was never used on the right side by Gulutzan in 2 years. Coaches should never force players to fit in their system, rather set a system to fit your player's strengths. That is why Gallant is such a great coach, and why Hartley won a Jack Adams trophy with an overachieving team. Let us see if Peters adapts.
Ah, the old Brodie should be on the right side myth.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 11:49 AM   #28
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ah, the old Brodie should be on the right side myth.
The most ridiculous part of this complaint is the fact that the Flames have 3 good RHD which are hard to find. So moving Brodie to the right side would leave the left side thin, put a LHD on his wrong side and put a RHD on his wrong side.

Brodie isn't better on the right side, he's better with Gio, but so is everyone...
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #29
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
The most ridiculous part of this complaint is the fact that the Flames have 3 good RHD which are hard to find. So moving Brodie to the right side would leave the left side thin, put a LHD on his wrong side and put a RHD on his wrong side.

Brodie isn't better on the right side, he's better with Gio, but so is everyone...
He most certainly was better on the right side. He’s looked awkward on the left ever since being moved there. On the right side he could grab the puck, shoulder fake, dips doodle backwards around in a circle and usually beat the first forechecker leading to an easy zone exit by passing or skating it out. On the left side the angles are all different, he gets the puck and then gets forechecked into the boards or has to make a quick pass up the boards. He looks much less dynamic on the left side. He has trouble using his skating and trickiness to evade the forechecker.

We’re not blind, a lot of us have seen this. Yes Gio is a factor. But you’re underestimating the rest. As a right footed soccer player who played mostly left back I’m very much aware that angles can be very different playing opposite sides. Moving to the left side dramatically reduced Brodie’s effectiveness in evading forecheckers.

Will moving him back to the right side cure things? That’s what is hard to say. He obviously lost a lot of confidence because the switch messed all his instincts up. No one knows if he would regain his instincts on the right side.

It’s awkward to try it for the reasons you’ve mentioned. We’re deep on right D so moving Brodie to the right isn’t really a realistic proposal unless one of our right dmen are traded or injured.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Weird ... I thought Calgary was solidly in the playoffs and playoff race until their number one goalie got hurt late in the year...

Now ppl talk like Calgary was in the running for a top 5 pick?
But the players have to play! Coaching doesnt matter!

Lets not gloss over the fact that the Calgary Flames under Gulutzan's tenure were wildly unpredictably other than the fact that they were generally unprepared to actually do their jobs and that said tenure was punctuated by streaks.

Starting with losing streaks, eventually winning streaks and then finishing off with sensational losing streaks to make the initial losing streaks look like an evening in the sun.

Consistently inconsistent.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post

Gio is definitely the constant in terms of a good pairing.

My other beef with GG was why he didn't give the Brodie-Stone pairing a try last season. From what I recall, after the Flames acquired Stone, he and Brodie seemed to work really well together, but I don't remember seeing that pairing much last season. Does anyone have any advanced stats to show how the Brodie-Stone pairing did compared to the Brodie-Hamonic pairing?

Again, just the same old square peg, round hole mentality of GG.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #32
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Gio is definitely the constant in terms of a good pairing.

My other beef with GG was why he didn't give the Brodie-Stone pairing a try last season. From what I recall, after the Flames acquired Stone, he and Brodie seemed to work really well together, but I don't remember seeing that pairing much last season. Does anyone have any advanced stats to show how the Brodie-Stone pairing did compared to the Brodie-Hamonic pairing?

Again, just the same old square peg, round hole mentality of GG.
He never gave anything a try. It was either his way or it was wrong.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #33
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

The truth.

Quote:
People describe you as being hard on players…

“Yeah, I don’t think so.”

Why do you think that opinion exists?

Old 05-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #34
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
He most certainly was better on the right side. He’s looked awkward on the left ever since being moved there. On the right side he could grab the puck, shoulder fake, dips doodle backwards around in a circle and usually beat the first forechecker leading to an easy zone exit by passing or skating it out. On the left side the angles are all different, he gets the puck and then gets forechecked into the boards or has to make a quick pass up the boards. He looks much less dynamic on the left side. He has trouble using his skating and trickiness to evade the forechecker.

We’re not blind, a lot of us have seen this. Yes Gio is a factor. But you’re underestimating the rest. As a right footed soccer player who played mostly left back I’m very much aware that angles can be very different playing opposite sides. Moving to the left side dramatically reduced Brodie’s effectiveness in evading forecheckers.

Will moving him back to the right side cure things? That’s what is hard to say. He obviously lost a lot of confidence because the switch messed all his instincts up. No one knows if he would regain his instincts on the right side.

It’s awkward to try it for the reasons you’ve mentioned. We’re deep on right D so moving Brodie to the right isn’t really a realistic proposal unless one of our right dmen are traded or injured.
So his entire hockey career he has played LD with the exception of a couple seasons and you are arguing he is only effective on RD? I think it is much more believable to see that Gio made him look much better than he is.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2018, 07:30 PM   #35
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it is much more believable to see that Gio made him look much better than he is.
I think you could make the same argument for Gio's current d partner.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2018, 10:02 PM   #36
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Brodie's woes go from playing the wrong side and in the wrong system. I think Brodie plays his best - regardless of side - when he doesn't have time to think and just moves the puck or goes for a skate. He instantly becomes the most dynamic defencemen (and one of the most dynamic players overall) on the Flames.

His problem right now seems more about confidence than anything else, though there are contributing factors as well most likely. He wasn't great just because he played with Giordano, as he looked absolutely beastly during the playoffs under Hartley with Engelland, both offensively AND defensively.

I feel the system change will do him a whole lot of good, and a coaching staff that will work on the issues that have cropped-up in his game. Once he starts playing well again, I think it will spiral back up.

I also think he is good on the PP, but he shouldn't be the only defencemen on it. Him with Giordano or Hamilton is fine - he is so dynamic at moving that puck, gaining the zone, and creating plays with his passing. He just doesn't have the big shot, and thus shouldn't be the ONLY D on the PP. I don't mind him on PP1 or PP2, I just mind it when it is JUST him on D. Giordano-Hamilton make for a very good 1st unit and that would be my preference, but having him with either one of those guys is fine with me too.

If he isn't traded this off-season (which I hope he isn't), I do expect him to start looking really good on the Flames again who we are told are going to play a quick transition with active D. He thrives in that kind of a system, and I would bet that his play will start elevating as he builds some confidence up.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2018, 03:34 PM   #37
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am really glad our head coach thinks we have a good team

....what else would he possibly say, do people actually take anything away from comments like these

"SEE I told you we had a good team!!"

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #38
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a player can't learn and adapt to a different system and still be a good defenceman, he's probably not that good to begin with.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:41 PM   #39
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
I think you could make the same argument for Gio's current d partner.
Yes he was a tire fire before he met Gio.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:05 PM   #40
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So his entire hockey career he has played LD with the exception of a couple seasons and you are arguing he is only effective on RD? I think it is much more believable to see that Gio made him look much better than he is.
I think you've got that mixed up. AFAIK, Brodie has only played LD since Gulutzan was hired. He definitely played RD when he was with the Heat, as Flames' management's comments about him back then indicated how impressed they were with his progress in spite of being a first year pro and playing on the off side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
If a player can't learn and adapt to a different system and still be a good defenceman, he's probably not that good to begin with.
Putting him in a rigid system in which he was forced to play mostly against the boards and always pass laterally to the D on the other side or straight up the boards to set up a break out took away Brodie's greatest strengths, which were lateral movement and creativity with the puck. It made him (and the whole D) very predictable and easy to defend against. If a system called for Gaudreau to be a power forward/mucker, he probably wouldn't be very good at it. Does that make him "not that good to begin with"? You have to develop a system that is suited to and maximizes the strengths of the personnel you have.

Last edited by Macindoc; 06-01-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post: