Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #6701
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Do you think it would make any difference who we trade for with the current coaching staff?

Too many ongoing head scratchers
This.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:42 AM   #6702
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I spend plenty of time watching Arizona and OEL and I strongly disagree with your assessment.
Are you being held prisoner?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 11:19 AM   #6703
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Are you being held prisoner?
LOL no, I am just fascinated by watching how the Coyotes develop their young talent so I tend to watch them if the Flames are not playing.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #6704
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I spend plenty of time watching Arizona and OEL and I strongly disagree with your assessment.
Yikes!
Old 01-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #6705
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Always be leery of trading for a guy that is in the middle of a career year. Odds are they are going to regress to the mean and not maintain this new level of play. Conversely, picking up a player whose numbers are down a bit because his team is crap is usually a good investment. Brendan Gallagher is a player you stay away from because he is having a great year that exceeds any other he has had. All the things that work against him still exist because he is changing teams, and maybe more so amplified because if the existence of Gaudreau. Size does matter in pro sports, whether we like to admit it or not.
I agree with what you're saying, but would still personally prefer Gallagher for the reasons of:
1. Handedness
2. Age
3. Contract
4. The mentality that he approaches games with
5. Ability to influence games without scoring
6. I think he has more to give in terms of scoring. With a few years of healthy play, I could see him being a consistent 25 goal scorer.

Granted, those last 3 are somewhat subjective.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #6706
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If you think Brodie is a defensive black hole you need to spend a little more time watching OEL. He is atrocious behind his own redline. Yeah, the Coyotes suck, but a large part of them sucking is inability to play on the defensive side of the puck. Stay away from OEL.
Interesting. I don't think I've ever come across a blog, seen or heard an interview, read an article or anything that would support this point of view.

Curious to know how you came to this conclusion.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #6707
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Yup, if Monahan's your top center and you want to be a contender then you have problems. He's one of the weakest number one centres of any team currently in a playoff position. Which is why I totally believe the rumours that the Flames have been trying to trade for other center help. People have mistakenly been reading into it as though it's an indictment of Backlund. Nope. The issue is with Monahan.

He's a really good player. He's not, however, a guy that you lean on when the going gets tough.
But then that would suggest they're trying to actually upgrade our first line centre position? I've never seen any rumours like that regarding the Flames.

Or are you suggesting they want to upgrade Backlund to have a stronger one-two punch down the middle?
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #6708
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Interesting. I don't think I've ever come across a blog, seen or heard an interview, read an article or anything that would support this point of view.

Plus minus is not a great stat, but he leads the league in minus by a large margin and he's way worse than anyone on his team.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #6709
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Plus minus is not a great stat, it's a completely meaningless stat.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #6710
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Plus minus is not a great stat, it's a completely meaningless stat.
Then I don't think you know what meaningless means, but fine.

His advanced stats are not good on the defensive side. People who follow that team say he's bad defensively.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #6711
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Then I don't think you know what meaningless means, but fine.

His advanced stats are not good on the defensive side. People who follow that team say he's bad defensively.
Well to be fair, advanced stats really have shown plus minus to be pretty useless.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #6712
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Well to be fair, advanced stats really have shown plus minus to be pretty useless.
I don't disagree. But not "meaningless". It literally has a meaning (being on ice for more goals for than against).

Whether that translates into a qualitiative predictor is another story.

In OEL's case, the difference between his plus minus and anyone else's is pretty striking though.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #6713
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Plus minus is not a great stat, but he leads the league in minus by a large margin and he's way worse than anyone on his team.
Sure, but OEL plays 25-30 mins a night on one of the weakest organizations in the league basically since he's been in the league. What defense man wouldn't have a poor plus minus? He's the only one player on the team playing arguably the hardest position. this isn't basketball where one player can transform a team on his own. I dont know what his qualcomp is, but I'm sure he isn't getting the soft zone starts or getting thrown out there against fourth liners all night.

If plus minus is the reference point, I wouldn't put too much weight into that. From almost anything I've read, heard, seen of the player, he is a legitimate no.1 defence man in his mid 20's. If he hits the free market in two years, there will be a line up of teams throwing big money at him.

Last edited by TOfan; 01-28-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #6714
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but OEL plays 25-30 mins a night on one of the weakest organizations in the league basically since he's been in the league. What defense man wouldn't have a poor plus minus? He's the only one player on the team playing arguably the hardest position. this isn't basketball where one player can transform a team on his own. I dont know what his qualcomp is, but I'm sure he isn't getting the soft zone starts or getting thrown out there against fourth liners all night.

If plus minus is the reference point, I wouldn't put too much weight into that. From almost anything I've read, heard, seen of the player, he is a legitimate no.1 defence man in his mid 20's. If he hits the free market in two years, there will be a line up of teams throwing big money at him.
I agree there are better stats. The gap even on his own team, and even with his D partner, is huge.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #6715
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Watching the local team and being subject to the brain farts this guy has every single shift. One of the most frustrating players to watch I’ve ever seen. This is shared by plenty of Coyote fans. Great offensive defenseman, but a train wreck in his own zone. The guy gets a ton of accolades because of his offense, but his defensive lapses are blamed on the piss poor lineup, which isn’t close to exposing his play.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #6716
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But then that would suggest they're trying to actually upgrade our first line centre position? I've never seen any rumours like that regarding the Flames.

Or are you suggesting they want to upgrade Backlund to have a stronger one-two punch down the middle?
I have not heard one rumor in the last year that the flames were looking for center help. Did I miss something?
Old 01-28-2018, 06:41 PM   #6717
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
I have not heard one rumor in the last year that the flames were looking for center help. Did I miss something?
Flames were rumoured to be in on both Turris and Duchene.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:41 PM   #6718
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Flames were rumoured to be in on both Turris and Duchene.
I could be wrong but I thought that was speculation more than anything. Pundits connecting imaginary dots.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #6719
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
I could be wrong but I thought that was speculation more than anything. Pundits connecting imaginary dots.
History shows us that 'a good player availble' = 'Brad Treliving right in the mix'. So likely not pundits connecting imaginary dots, so much as Brad being in there like a dirty shirt in case there's a good deal for a star player to be had and then pulling out when the acquisition cost is determined to be too high.

It's really how every GM should operate. It blows me away when you see some of those behind the scenes videos and some of these GM's just have no clue what's going on in the NHL trade market until they need to make a trade.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:35 AM   #6720
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Friedman specifically said that the Flames were looking at Turris prior to his being moved to Nashville. Don't have a tweet or anything (I think it was during a Headlines segment on HNIC). I'm sure someone else saw this that could back me up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread