Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #2961
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Strava geeks: Strava clocked me at 234 km/hr on a 45st SW segment. Thus, I am KOM. Needless to say, that's way off. How the hell do I fix that?

Edit: Never mind. I figured out how to flag the activity, thus removing me from the leader boards.
That's funny because I got an email saying I lost a KOM to a guy doing 234KM/hr! I assumed it would sort it's self out, not sure what terminal velocity is but i might have had to jump out of a plane to get it back
Old 07-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #2962
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
That's funny because I got an email saying I lost a KOM to a guy doing 234KM/hr! I assumed it would sort it's self out, not sure what terminal velocity is but i might have had to jump out of a plane to get it back
The segment is "All your base belong to us" on 45 St SW, from Bow Tr to 8 Ave SW.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #2963
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
The segment is "All your base belong to us" on 45 St SW, from Bow Tr to 8 Ave SW.
It's the same one , Terminal velocity is only about 200km/hr according to google, I'd have to pedal a bit too.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:39 PM   #2964
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have any insight in dealing with counterfeit bikes/bike parts? Was interested in looking at this used bike:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3093371/

But I don't know if my untrained eye could tell the differences -- I didnt realize that counterfeit bikes/parts are such a big issue and it's kind of turning me off the thought of spending lots of $$ on something potentially worthless (not to mention dangerous).
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:15 AM   #2965
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
Anyone have any insight in dealing with counterfeit bikes/bike parts? Was interested in looking at this used bike:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3093371/

But I don't know if my untrained eye could tell the differences -- I didnt realize that counterfeit bikes/parts are such a big issue and it's kind of turning me off the thought of spending lots of $$ on something potentially worthless (not to mention dangerous).

There are not that big of a problem honestly. Usually only if you buy direct from china but they don't usually sport the stock paint schemes.

That's not a counterfeit tho. It's not a 2014 tho that appears to be a 2015. IMO that's over priced by 700 to grand. It's not full dura ace . Looks to be a stock r5 with upgraded derailleurs. I think we sold them for just over 6000 back then.

Considering that in the last year I've seen the average price of this bike either decked out in the full dura ace spec and di2 dura ace/ultegra for 3500 to 4000 .

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 07-07-2021 at 08:21 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #2966
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
There are not that big of a problem honestly. Usually only if you buy direct from china but they don't usually sport the stock paint schemes.

That's not a counterfeit tho. It's not a 2014 tho that appears to be a 2015. IMO that's over priced by 700 to grand. It's not full dura ace . Looks to be a stock r5 with upgraded derailleurs. I think we sold them for just over 6000 back then.

Considering that in the last year I've seen the average price of this bike either decked out in the full dura ace spec and di2 dura ace/ultegra for 3500 to 4000 .
Agreed, It's a nice bike, not a fake, but it's the year or two before cervelo updated to the latest frame molds for the R5 with the "squoval" tubes. It's a 7 year old bike, for $3K its a nice bike for $4 it's maybe a bit too high in a perfect world.
Looking at other R5's on there you might have to pay a Covid tax as they are priced even higher for similar bike but higher spec wheels
Old 07-07-2021, 09:34 AM   #2967
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Agreed, It's a nice bike, not a fake, but it's the year or two before cervelo updated to the latest frame molds for the R5 with the "squoval" tubes. It's a 7 year old bike, for $3K its a nice bike for $4 it's maybe a bit too high in a perfect world.
Looking at other R5's on there you might have to pay a Covid tax as they are priced even higher for similar bike but higher spec wheels
The other r5s on their seem to be much higher specs. Carbon wheels,power meters, Di2 or sram red etc..

As a professional I have been telling people to hold off right now. It's stupid to pay the ridiculous used prices right now .
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #2968
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm kinda bummed out they already re-opened Memorial to cars. Having that one side closed made it so much more enjoyable and easy to get around versus dodging people and crazy scooters on the pathways downtown.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #2969
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cool guys, thanks for the tips. So the R5 just looks like a real fun bike. What probably suits me more is an endurance road bike which I might be able to touch some fire roads with. I'm aware the R5 is not that bike. I was looking at the R3 however for this purpose, i.e. being more suited for longer trips. I have a long term goal of doing 200km.

Any insight on that? some models I've run into besides Roubaix/r3 are the Cannondale synapse and Trek domane. What are some good bikes/specs to look out for at a decent price range? Ideally around 2k but I can get 4k together of it's worth it.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:41 PM   #2970
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
Cool guys, thanks for the tips. So the R5 just looks like a real fun bike. What probably suits me more is an endurance road bike which I might be able to touch some fire roads with. I'm aware the R5 is not that bike. I was looking at the R3 however for this purpose, i.e. being more suited for longer trips. I have a long term goal of doing 200km.

Any insight on that? some models I've run into besides Roubaix/r3 are the Cannondale synapse and Trek domane. What are some good bikes/specs to look out for at a decent price range? Ideally around 2k but I can get 4k together of it's worth it.
Cervelo Caledonia, right around $4K for 105 if you can find one, BMC Road Machine four, also 105 and maybe a smidge under $4K if you can find one

Last edited by Icantwhisper; 07-07-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Icantwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:44 AM   #2971
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

del - have you had a look at a trek checkpoint? they list for around $2,700 - but they are a gravel bike - which may not really fit what you are looking for.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:54 AM   #2972
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
del - have you had a look at a trek checkpoint? they list for around $2,700 - but they are a gravel bike - which may not really fit what you are looking for.
Sounds perfect for him since his goal is to ride longer distances more comfortably. I have worked in shops for a long time now and always have to ask customers what is a gravel bike? What constitutes a gravel bike long and slack? Well that would be a touring bike. Short and nimble with forgiving tubing and ability to run 38c? Well than should be a modern randonneur bike or the same bike with knobby tires a cx bike. Long chain stays with a steep head tube? Well that's also a touring bike.

Gravel is such a loaded term. I work with guys that consider 32c max, 38 max and 40 max . All 3 of those groups consider my bike a mtb drop bar . I run 30i wtb asym rim with 50mm panaracer gravelking sk+ on my 2018 kona rove ltd. That's where I start with the description of what a gravel bike is very subjective.

Old 07-08-2021, 07:55 AM   #2973
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Sounds perfect for him since his goal is to ride longer distances more comfortably. I have worked in shops for a long time now and always have to ask customers what is a gravel bike? What constitutes a gravel bike long and slack? Well that would be a touring bike. Short and nimble with forgiving tubing and ability to run 38c? Well than should be a modern randonneur bike or the same bike with knobby tires a cx bike. Long chain stays with a steep head tube? Well that's also a touring bike.

Gravel is such a loaded term. I work with guys that consider 32c max, 38 max and 40 max . All 3 of those groups consider my bike a mtb drop bar . I run 30i wtb asym rim with 50mm panaracer gravelking sk+ on my 2018 kona rove ltd. That's where I start with the description of what a gravel bike is. It's very subjective.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:36 AM   #2974
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I crossed over 1000kms yesterday. I’ve enjoyed riding my cargo bike so much this year.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #2975
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I thought I would change it up as I found a Brooks leather saddle for like 60% off at clearance.

I put the Brooks on my road bike and while it's heavy (didn't get the titanium version), I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. No more saddle sores. It makes sense as leather saddles like these are what riders have used on horses for hundreds of years.

Now the only left to do for vanity is to get some Brooks leather bar tape to match.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #2976
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I'm kinda bummed out they already re-opened Memorial to cars. Having that one side closed made it so much more enjoyable and easy to get around versus dodging people and crazy scooters on the pathways downtown.
That was the absolute best for riding with little kids. You could ride side by side, no pathletes whizzing by at 40km/h with no bell while your inattentive toddler makes a sharp turn toward the centre line... so carefree and enjoyable.

Riding on the lower deck of Centre Street regularly will be a good pandemic memory.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2021, 10:39 AM   #2977
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
That was the absolute best for riding with little kids. You could ride side by side, no pathletes whizzing by at 40km/h with no bell while your inattentive toddler makes a sharp turn toward the centre line... so carefree and enjoyable.
Couple of days ago I'm riding home on Riverwalk westbound, just before Reconciliation bridge a pathlete riding my butt decided to pass me, and doesn't bother to pay attention to a couple with their dog about to cross the pathway. Of course not having a bell he does nothing but I was close enough to ring mine so the people could get out of the way. Pathlete swerves a little a shakes his head, way to go all star. Way to go.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2021, 11:28 AM   #2978
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Couple of days ago I'm riding home on Riverwalk westbound, just before Reconciliation bridge a pathlete riding my butt decided to pass me, and doesn't bother to pay attention to a couple with their dog about to cross the pathway. Of course not having a bell he does nothing but I was close enough to ring mine so the people could get out of the way. Pathlete swerves a little a shakes his head, way to go all star. Way to go.
Good on ya man. I also sometimes "ring for others". Amazing how well that little bell can work to notify others of impending doom, passing, or to get their pet/child/spouse/senior out of the way... assuming they give a sh*t and assuming they're not plugged into their beats.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #2979
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

My latest passive aggressive hobby is not using my bell, but yelling "DING DING!" when people whiz by my kids and I without ringing.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #2980
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As far as I can tell from the bylaws, while bikes are required to have bells, all you need is an audible signal. I often defer to just yelling "on your left" since I find nobody hears the bells anyway.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote