Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default The Marvels Movie thread SPOILERS IN HERE!

Hey, I have no plan on seeing this movie.

But the post credits scene has leaked. This is your last chance to turn away before reading some major spoilers.

SPOILERS FOR THE MOVIE/POST CREDITS ARE IN THIS THREAD!

I guess reviews are also starting to come in and so far it is sitting at 52% on RT. I am not surprised. The first movie was propped up by its timing sandwhiched between the two biggest Marvel movies of all time.

Another swing and a miss by Marvel... but oh man, that after credits scene.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 11-08-2023 at 10:40 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 10:33 AM   #2
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I'll spoiler it as its the first response, but no need for spoilers after this I think.

Spoiler!
Old 11-08-2023, 01:54 PM   #3
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had intended to go watch this in the theatre, maybe not this weekend, and I don't care about spoilers so naturally I checked your post.

That sounded awesome, and the RT score on female led movies usually is lower than it should be so I checked out the influencers I follow about Marvel stuff. They also hated it, loved the actors performances for the most part (except Sam Jackson sounded like he mailed it in), but the plot, pacing, music, action were all over the place. Firmly in their opinion the worst movie the MCU has put out.

The opposite of a Disney+ show, which is sometimes like a broken up movie, the comparison was a 8 episode show, crammed into 2.5 hours and then cut down to 1:40.

Ant-Man Quantomania wasn't great, but I am glad I saw it in the theatres as the visuals were really cool if the plot was really weak. I think this one can definitely wait for Disney+ before watching.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #4
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been finding myself steadily losing interest in Marvel movies since Endgame. I've seen Dr Strange 2 and GotG3, but I'm just...the thill is gone, it seems. They don't seem to be building to anything of interest to me.

I also dislike 'homework' for a movie. Apparently, to get the most out of The Marvels, you need to have seen Wandavision, Ms. Marvel and Secret Wars. I don't have Disney+ and haven't seen any of those.

It was bad enough that not watching Wandavision impacted my viewing of Dr Strange 2 (Wanda's bad now? WTF? Why?) but now I'm supposed to have watched 3 shows to 'best get' this movie? No, thanks.
I'm sure I'll catch it on TV or something someday.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 02:58 PM   #5
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Just for context because the few videos that were up are now down, I will spoiler the scene for anyone who wants to know:

Spoiler!
Old 11-08-2023, 03:39 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Just for context because the few videos that were up are now down, I will spoiler the scene for anyone who wants to know:

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:45 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I've been finding myself steadily losing interest in Marvel movies since Endgame. I've seen Dr Strange 2 and GotG3, but I'm just...the thill is gone, it seems. They don't seem to be building to anything of interest to me.

I also dislike 'homework' for a movie. Apparently, to get the most out of The Marvels, you need to have seen Wandavision, Ms. Marvel and Secret Wars. I don't have Disney+ and haven't seen any of those.

It was bad enough that not watching Wandavision impacted my viewing of Dr Strange 2 (Wanda's bad now? WTF? Why?) but now I'm supposed to have watched 3 shows to 'best get' this movie? No, thanks.
I'm sure I'll catch it on TV or something someday.
Phase 2, 3, whatever this is...I've lost track... aside from Spider-Man is all pushing characters people don't know or care about and trying to force audiences to care about them. Its not going to work. They are unlikeable at worst and bland at best. Things like the Eternals and the Marvels, etc. The only time this play has worked was with the Guardians of the Galaxy because James Gunn managed to find actors and characters that grabbed the audience. This is not a guaranteed formula and was more of a fluke! Look at his work on Suicide Squad to see what happens when it doesn't.

Marvel's only hope is to jettison these B players, take a step back, and focus on X-Men. It wouldn't hurt them to jettison all the weight (homework) as well from the existing MCU. Comic books invented this themselves back in the day (Crisis on Infinite Earths).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 05:40 AM   #8
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's too many shows and characters to keep tabs on at this point. Who matters, who doesn't? Because some are harder to sit through than others.

Should've kept things streamlined to a central group of a few characters that we need to follow and have the "extra" characters cameo during the main, essential titles rather than give them their own (frankly unearned TV series). It worked for the infinity saga.

Marvel bit off more than they could chew and got too confident that people would watch any character they put out there and continue to show up long term.

The multiverse aspect has become too convoluted as well of course, but that much should be abundantly obvious at this point.

Multiverses are fun to dabble in as a one off, but building everything around them is tiring and lowers stakes when people die.

i.e. RDJ and Chris Evans already rumored to return, and it will work because the multiverse.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 07:50 AM   #9
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya I think the Secret Wars story line can serve as a soft reboot, they do this all the time in the comics as we know. Crisis on Infinite Earth brought back Arthur as Aquaman who was killed off, and I think that was when Hal returned as GL after his stint as Paralex/Spectre?

Been a while since I read that line. But anyway, these events are a pallet cleanser. Marvel will have a chance to right the ship. Now if they choose to do it or not is another thing I guess.. but recent reviews/box office numbers suggest they will be eager to get back to the more mainstream, popular characters.

If this is the way they are able to bring an existing X-Men team into the MCU without having to do another large origin story though, I am all for it.

There are so many good story lines they could follow with them, I am excited for that part at least. Plus we haven't even met FF/Dr. Doom yet.

They just need to realign with what made them popular in the first place, and not forget who forms the bulk of their audience.
Old 11-12-2023, 04:38 PM   #10
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Secret Wars isn't required prerequisite viewing for watching the movie, as nothing called Secret Wars has been released by Marvel Studios. On the chance the intent was to state that Secret Invasion was required prerequisite viewing, it was not. I don't think a single reference or plot point to Secret Invasion came up. Wandavision is not required prerequisite viewing, as it was referenced in two throwaway lines and what you otherwise needed to know from Wandavision was shown in The Marvels.

It would probably have been helpful to have seen the Ms. Marvel tv show and the Captain Marvel movie before The Marvels. But I bet people who didn't caught on just fine

The movie itself was fine. Middle of the road, not terrible, not spectacular. Set up things to follow in an economical way.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 11-12-2023 at 04:42 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:28 AM   #11
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t worry about spoilers since no one seems to be going to this movie anyway

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainme...s-67401772.amp
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:18 PM   #12
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not worth the time to see it in the theatre, I only went because my wife wanted movie popcorn and there's not much else playing either. I've always loved comics, but this one can definitely wait until it's streaming.

I enjoy Brie Larson, but other than her and the kids mom it's pretty dull and does nothing for advancing any sort of narrative. For all the people complaining about no one supporting a female ensemble I'm reminded of Bill Burr's lines about no one supporting women's sports in general - same idea applies here.

Young Avengers - yawn, who cares. X-men? Ok that trailer was the best part of the movie.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:07 PM   #13
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I think a Captain Marvel movie to introduce her was fine. I think they did the character no favours in End-Game. I think going for a ensemble movie centered around her was overly-ambitious. I just don't think she's popular enough to anchor something like this.

I think there is some misogyny involved in the online celebration in its failure. I don't think that led to its failure.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:14 PM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's got nothing to do with misogyny with a lot of people including myself. I celebrate the bombing of all superhero movies because IMO it's reached beyond saturation point. I was a fan of these for a few years but there became a point where it just got to be way too much which always happens when something becomes too popular for its own good. We are now at the point where studios are resorting to the B and C class superheros to cash in while the iron is still hot and seeing them bomb is a sign that this is finally cooling off and they can go back to providing one or two good ones a year and not the constant bombardment of quantity over quality. This is a positive sign for cinema.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-15-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 03:40 PM   #15
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
Not worth the time to see it in the theatre, I only went because my wife wanted movie popcorn and there's not much else playing either. I've always loved comics, but this one can definitely wait until it's streaming.

I enjoy Brie Larson, but other than her and the kids mom it's pretty dull and does nothing for advancing any sort of narrative. For all the people complaining about no one supporting a female ensemble I'm reminded of Bill Burr's lines about no one supporting women's sports in general - same idea applies here.

Young Avengers - yawn, who cares. X-men? Ok that trailer was the best part of the movie.
Especially amusing when the mega hit movie of 2023 is a female led story about empowering women.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:47 PM   #16
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's got nothing to do with misogyny with a lot of people including myself. I celebrate the bombing of all superhero movies because IMO it's reached beyond saturation point. I was a fan of these for a few years but there became a point where it just got to be way too much which always happens when something becomes too popular for its own good. We are now at the point where studios are resorting to the B and C class superheros to cash in while the iron is still hot and seeing them bomb is a sign that this is finally cooling off and they can go back to providing one or two good ones a year and not the constant bombardment of quantity over quality. This is a positive sign for cinema.
It's not even the B or C class superheroes that bums me out - it's the outright terrible storytelling.

These movies are nothing but focus tested "content" to drive box office and subscription numbers.

The downturn in quality once the original saga concluded has been baffling.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:46 PM   #17
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Especially amusing when the mega hit movie of 2023 is a female led story about empowering women.
Yup, this whole "Misogynists ruined X movie!" thing is getting tired. Barbie has proven that, during the strike with 'no advertisement', if people want to get out and see a movie, they will do so in droves. You just need to make a good movie to do it.

Maybe, just maybe...the movie sucked and no one wanted to see it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 11:55 PM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Yup, this whole "Misogynists ruined X movie!" thing is getting tired. Barbie has proven that, during the strike with 'no advertisement', if people want to get out and see a movie, they will do so in droves. You just need to make a good movie to do it.

Maybe, just maybe...the movie sucked and no one wanted to see it.
Exactly. Making a movie with a female centric cast and then blaming misogyny when it fails is a horrible crutch at best and a total cop out at worst. Look at Ghostbusters 2016. A bad movie is a bad movie. Barbie succeeded because it was a good movie.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:58 PM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I think a Captain Marvel movie to introduce her was fine. I think they did the character no favours in End-Game. I think going for a ensemble movie centered around her was overly-ambitious. I just don't think she's popular enough to anchor something like this.

I think there is some misogyny involved in the online celebration in its failure. I don't think that led to its failure.
Captain Marvel could have been popular and interesting if they had cast her right or wrote her with any charm or personality or charisma or motivation.

They didn't. They wrote a generic "strong female character" which is a modern Hollywood failing. All we got was an ex-sitcom child star that always looked pissed off and cocky in every shot.

Look at the strong female characters from James Cameron films for example, like Ripley or Sarah Connor. He shows them as vulnerable, scared, relatable and yet kick-ass when it comes time for it. Brie Larson is basically that cocky mean girl at work that always looks pissed off and you want to stay away from.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:22 AM   #20
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not the biggest fan of Larsson or the character she plays. But the character is mostly on the writing. They're afraid to give these characters real flaws and any genuine moments of self-reflection. And generally over-power them.

You can't pay me to sit down and watch more of these uncharismatic, overpowered induviduals dealing with minor inconveniences for 2.5 hours while looking cool and avoiding any real vulnerability or character development.

Seen this song and dance one too many times Marvel/Disney.

Not sure misogyny is the enemy here, but they'll go on milking thar narrative as long as possible, I'm certain.

It's both funny and scary to me that I have friends in that boat who practically dare me to speak up against this movie/heap anything but praise and admiration towards it. Yikes..

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 11-16-2023 at 12:27 AM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote