Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2018, 03:34 PM   #221
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would have liked Hoffman here, but I am also happy that he is not on the team to become a distraction. Imagine having this distraction along with having a coach trying to get used to his team. We didn't need that at all.

Hats off the Florida. They essentially decided to take the risk to make their team better with a solid 2nd line LW (obviously behind Huberdeau). Watch out for the Panthers, I see them making a splash in the 18/19 season.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #222
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Hoffman is a Florida Panther.
ooohhh I see sorry got confused there...quite the fliperoo!
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:42 PM   #223
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Unfortunately, Calgary has an awful record of making trades/signing FAs. Brouwer, Stajan, Hagman, Bouwmeester, R. Bourque, Wideman, Glencross, Coleborne, Versteeg, Hudler, Hiller, Jokinen, Kotalik, Cervenka, etc...

Many of these guys survived in lesser roles, but none signed any kind of big deals after leaving Calgary. A lot of people will write all of these players off as not having actual effort/talent. However, a lot of them were very promising before their Calgary tenure. Calgary has a real issue with stifling development by enforcing overly rigid offensive systems. It is not the kind of place where you go to develop an individual style of hockey.

Hoffman is really on the edge of becoming that player that demands that big contract (6 mil+). The pattern in Calgary seems to be that players like him get relegated to secondary scorer and earn a 2-3 million dollar contract post-Flames.

The only player that I can think of that did what Hoffman is trying to accomplish in Calgary is Russell.
Half the guys on your list had career years in Calgary...Jaybo was part of the greatest D ever assembled less than a year after leaving Calgary. The rest were old and retired or were traded for picks.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #224
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sens basically gave away Hoffman for free. At that price I wish the Flames would have given him a chance. Adding Hoffman and another top 6 forward and this team would look really good. Or I would have gladly flipped him for those picks as well. Good job by Wilson.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #225
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #226
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He's good but I have at least Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Matthews, McDavid, Bergeron, and Scheifle, ahead, and probably Mackinnon, Kopitar, Eichel, Giroux, Stamkos, Kuznetsov and Seguin as well.

No doubt, however, he's going to pass a bunch of those in the next three years.
I only have the bolded ahead of Barkov. I always say he's a more offensively dynamic Kopitar already. Only Crosby and Bergeron have better 2-way games and McDavid is just really good offensively.

Barkov goes under the radar, but when you watch him consistently, you see just how great he is at nearly every part of the game, especially defensively. He's just 22 years old as well.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #227
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I only have the bolded ahead of Barkov. I always say he's a more offensively dynamic Kopitar already. Only Crosby and Bergeron have better 2-way games and McDavid is just really good offensively.

Barkov goes under the radar, but when you watch him consistently, you see just how great he is at nearly every part of the game, especially defensively. He's just 22 years old as well.
You might just be a bit biased

JT, Malkin...come on guy maybe someday but not now
Old 06-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #228
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
You might just be a bit biased

JT, Malkin...come on guy maybe someday but not now
I consider both players to be better offensively (Tavares only by a hair), but not nearly as strong defensively. That goes a long way for me at the center position. If you can be a point per game center while effectively shutting down the opposition's best line, you will win a LOT of games. That's what the Crosby's, Bergeron's, and Kopitar's do so well (Toews too before his offensive game fell off a cliff).
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #229
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumours are owner Melnyck instructed that Hoffman was not allowed to be dealt within the division. Well that back fired if true. Melnyck has also taken over as CEO. What could go wrong with him making decisions? That team needs a president to bridge the gap between gm and owner
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #230
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I consider both players to be better offensively (Tavares only by a hair), but not nearly as strong defensively. That goes a long way for me at the center position. If you can be a point per game center while effectively shutting down the opposition's best line, you will win a LOT of games. That's what the Crosby's, Bergeron's, and Kopitar's do so well (Toews too before his offensive game fell off a cliff).
This is off. Malkin is an elite defensive player if you actually watch him play and he's arguably STILL the best offensive forward in the NHL. The only thing he's bad at are faceoffs, and we know faceoffs matter very little. I take Malkin over Barkov 10/10 times.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #231
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't the reason Karlsson wanted a trade in the first place because he had an altercation with Melnyk in the dressing room at some point last season?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #232
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Rumours are owner Melnyck instructed that Hoffman was not allowed to be dealt within the division. Well that back fired if true. Melnyck has also taken over as CEO. What could go wrong with him making decisions? That team needs a president to bridge the gap between gm and owner
To be fair, that's not really an absurd request to give to your GM when trading a player, especially one who is as talented as Hoffman. Would the Flames trade a consistent 25goal scorer to Edmonton, Vancouver or any of the Cali teams? Probably not.

Hard to put too much blame on Dorion given the situation he was put in. Everyone knew he wasn't getting much for Hoffman.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #233
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Blues GM:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1009255201574981632

Was rumored that Blues were one of the teams that went after Hoffman hardest before the allegations came out.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #234
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think warmer cities have some appeal. I don't know about Tavares, but for a lot of UFAs, IMO aside from salary, it's about a nice (but not glamourous) lifestyle, especially for players with families. So San Jose, Arizona, the Florida teams, and now LV (where there are some very nice suburbian areas) have appeal.
Maybe he likes hiking?

Also don’t you know he’s best buds with hamonic?
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #235
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'd take schiefele all day over Barkov
Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #236
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Maybe he likes hiking?

Also don’t you know he’s best buds with hamonic?
I wasn't making a comment about Tavares, I was speaking generally. That's why I said "I don't know about Tavares".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:55 PM   #237
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I heard on the radio this morning and have seen some posts asking about why didn't the Senators trade Hoffman prior to the allegations regarding his gf. But, wouldn't that look pretty sleazy by Dorion? I would think that's a reputation killer right there, trading a guy you know is 'damaged goods' without being upfront about it.

I would think that goes beyond the ol' "go do your DD" and into "sounds like you were intentionally misleading people..." which is worse for business in the long run and for Dorion's career specifically.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 06-19-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #238
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
If he wasn't in Florida, Barkov would and should be considered a top 5 center, IMO.
I think it goes both ways.

Players in places like Florida do tend to get ignored a bit at times due to where they play, but they also have the advantage of not having their game picked apart constantly by media/fans in hockey mad cities.

I mean people were talking about Bouwmeester like he was going to be a guy who could compete for the Norris before he came to Calgary.

His flaws weren't on display in Florida.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 PM   #239
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
To be fair, that's not really an absurd request to give to your GM when trading a player, especially one who is as talented as Hoffman. Would the Flames trade a consistent 25goal scorer to Edmonton, Vancouver or any of the Cali teams? Probably not.

Hard to put too much blame on Dorion given the situation he was put in. Everyone knew he wasn't getting much for Hoffman.
If Hoffman has so much baggage and the gf is a cancer, why worry about strengthening your rivals?

Shouldn't it be a Trojan house type deal?

Anyways, I doubt the drama with future Mrs Hoffman is over. She's going to have a hard time getting accepted into any spouses group. And if the spouses have drama, the husbands will have drama.

Sens should have just made this best deal and return.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #240
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
If Hoffman has so much baggage and the gf is a cancer, why worry about strengthening your rivals?

Shouldn't it be a Trojan house type deal?

Anyways, I doubt the drama with future Mrs Hoffman is over. She's going to have a hard time getting accepted into any spouses group. And if the spouses have drama, the husbands will have drama.

Sens should have just made this best deal and return.
Haha, I realize it's likely an autocorrect, but this cracks me up.