Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #41
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm not as concerned with Fox

From the season ticket meeting summary

That fits with how I've always read him, and the fact that he's suggesting one more year and not 1 or 2 or wants to finish or we will see is pretty promising.

Doesn't hurt that the Flames have Gaudreau and Gillies around as US collegians on the roster
That's good to hear, as I feel like I've been tempering excitement towards Fox expecting to get burned. I really wish they closed this 'loophole', and I could properly start getting giddy about him.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #42
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I think Fox has the higher upside than any of the D prospects though Valimaki is close and certainly closer to NHL ready than Kylington or Fox.

Andersson is a lock to make the club IMO unless some bad habits start to reappear in his off season.

It's why I believe that Brodie and/or Kylington are likely pyling their trade elsewhere next year as the reason BT has built up the depth on the back end is to use as currency to fill other holes.

I will be stunned if there isn't a major shake up on this club by this time next week.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #43
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I think Fox has the higher upside than any of the D prospects though Valimaki is close and certainly closer to NHL ready than Kylington or Fox.

Andersson is a lock to make the club IMO unless some bad habits start to reappear in his off season.

It's why I believe that Brodie and/or Kylington are likely pyling their trade elsewhere next year as the reason BT has built up the depth on the back end is to use as currency to fill other holes.

I will be stunned if there isn't a major shake up on this club by this time next week.
Bingo's list make me think about bolded here. Kylington has always been a guy that would be the closest to what we want to see in Brodie (if not Brodie), but is a 'Brodie-Type player' even what we'll have around here?

Taking out that type player, and having
Giordano - Hamilton
Andersson - Hamonic
Valimaki - Fox

as a potentially upcoming top 6 is pretty good. Which, I haven't really put much weight into as I've always pictured having a Brodie around
Old 06-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #44
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any hints of extending Tkachuk this off season?

Is the concussion combined with his style of play a concern going forward?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #45
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Pity why? I'm talking about next fall and you're talking about 2020. By 2020 all 3 of those guys could easily be on the team.

But opening day of next season? I'd be shocked if two of the three youngsters were in our top 6.
EDIT: OOPS I responded to wrong post. I meant to respond to Calgary4LIfe

From what I saw from Kylington in the preseason the biggest thing holding him back was that he was pushed off the puck quite easily. What I mean by this is when he was skating back into his zone to retrieve a puck the forecheckers would pull even with him and just muscle him out of the way - just a turnover and immediate possession for the opponent in his end.

He either has to get stronger on his feet and being able to shield with his body or he has to figure a way not to get in those positions. However those plays are going to happen no matter how fast you are.

I really like him but that's the glaring weakness I saw in his game at that time. In the NHL you can't have your d that easily pushed around.

Now he was/is young last preseason and lots of physical development can happen but when you're going against these physically mature, thickly muscled opponents who are very strong and can just push you off the puck its a big problem for a defenceman.

I'm looking for that in him specifically - how he's improved his strength or how he's adapted to those kind of plays in his end - because he's exciting, offensively gifted and has the kind of speed the team needs.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 06-16-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #46
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Any hints of extending Tkachuk this off season?

Is the concussion combined with his style of play a concern going forward?
Not even a good attempt at trolling. The team can’t begin negotiations until the final year of his entry level deal, so after July 1st. And no, his concussion will have little impact on the team’s view of him moving forward. I know it’s the off season, and you’re not in mid-season form, but you really gotta up your game.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #47
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Friedman has mentioned several times he thought the Flames were going to try to get back into the 1st round but it never made sense considering the assets they would have to give up would probably set the organization back for a likely mid to late 1st round pick who's not guaranteed to be better than any of the assets they would have to send a team for the pick. Once they gave up the 1st and two 2nds for Hamonic they really had no choice but to suck it up and accept they weren't picking early in this draft as trading roster players or good prospects to get back in the early rounds would have made the entire trade a one step forward, one step back affair.

Agreed, get rid of Treliving already. I am sure this is his last season, miracle would have to happen for him to stay after this year. When I listen to him, its absolutely the same as listening to Gulutzan: fair reasoning which makes sense, but its always just an excuse for blatant mistakes he has made. Was Smith aquisition good for us? Yes, for part of the season when he played well. But looking at bigger picture, Flames lost assets which could have been used in the future for a 2 year rental goalie who has a history of being injured and in his 36 years of age has only one deep playoff run under his belt. Hamonic trade will be haunting us in years to come as the picks we gave up could provide us with really talented offensive prospects. Now we are stacked in the D, atleast on the paper, but when you watch us play we look soft, passive, scared of proactive plays, sometimes its even embarrassing. Defence was an issue last season, which is ridiculous if you just traded 1st round pick for high rated defenseman and you aleady have Gio, Brodie and Hamilton. If that pick would have been used to aquire RW scorer and Flames would be playing for the playoffs until the very end, then I would say the trade payed off. But this? Its an aboslute failure and I just cant see how Tre can possible survive that if Hamonic doesnt become MVP for us this upcoming season.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #48
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Agreed, get rid of Treliving already. I am sure this is his last season, miracle would have to happen for him to stay after this year.
Making the playoffs would not be a miracle.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #49
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My don't trade list ranked would be

Valimaki
Fox
Andersson
Kylington

I like them all, but Valimaki (left) has the balance and Fox (right) has the powerplay. With those two untouchable I'd rather keep Andersson who is a thinker over Kylington who is a skater.
I don’t trade any of them. Those 4 plus Hamilton and Kulak are our future 6.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #50
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

If Treliving bags Tavares, he can stay.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #51
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed, get rid of Treliving already. I am sure this is his last season, miracle would have to happen for him to stay after this year. When I listen to him, its absolutely the same as listening to Gulutzan: fair reasoning which makes sense, but its always just an excuse for blatant mistakes he has made. Was Smith aquisition good for us? Yes, for part of the season when he played well. But looking at bigger picture, Flames lost assets which could have been used in the future for a 2 year rental goalie who has a history of being injured and in his 36 years of age has only one deep playoff run under his belt. Hamonic trade will be haunting us in years to come as the picks we gave up could provide us with really talented offensive prospects. Now we are stacked in the D, atleast on the paper, but when you watch us play we look soft, passive, scared of proactive plays, sometimes its even embarrassing. Defence was an issue last season, which is ridiculous if you just traded 1st round pick for high rated defenseman and you aleady have Gio, Brodie and Hamilton. If that pick would have been used to aquire RW scorer and Flames would be playing for the playoffs until the very end, then I would say the trade payed off. But this? Its an aboslute failure and I just cant see how Tre can possible survive that if Hamonic doesnt become MVP for us this upcoming season.
They just extended him ... he's here barring a huge setback for the next three seasons.

GMs aren't right all the time. You hope they bat 65% and the 35% they miss aren't huge (Chiarelli). The big thing for me is a plan and the strength to carry it out without feeling job pressure to do something silly in the short term, or a lack of confidence that has a plan changing all the time.

He seems to have those which makes him a good GM in my book, but he's allowed to be wrong some of the time.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 03:15 PM   #52
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
That's good to hear, as I feel like I've been tempering excitement towards Fox expecting to get burned. I really wish they closed this 'loophole', and I could properly start getting giddy about him.

It’s not a loophole. What you should be wishing for is that NCAA players can sign contracts without finishing their college career. Players drafted out of junior have to be signed within 2 years or they re-enter the draft and if unsigned after 2 years after the second draft, they’re in the same position as college players. UFA draft +4.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #53
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
It’s not a loophole. What you should be wishing for is that NCAA players can sign contracts without finishing their college career. Players drafted out of junior have to be signed within 2 years or they re-enter the draft and if unsigned after 2 years after the second draft, they’re in the same position as college players. UFA draft +4.
Thanks! I wasn't what to call it, so I'm happy to know what the real deal is with this.

The fix seems really simple, and the problem is very real.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #54
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I don’t trade any of them. Those 4 plus Hamilton and Kulak are our future 6.
I agree with the first part but not the second. I think Gio and Hamonic will be here for a while which is a good thing as they play a more gritty, physical game.

I could see Kulak being moved if his game plateaus and the others emerge.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #55
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Thanks! I wasn't what to call it, so I'm happy to know what the real deal is with this.

The fix seems really simple, and the problem is very real.
Its not a simple fix because its an NCAA rule that necessitates the difference.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #56
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
The NHL will need to change their rule long before the NCAA will ever allow this for their athletes IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:35 PM   #57
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They just extended him ... he's here barring a huge setback for the next three seasons.

GMs aren't right all the time. You hope they bat 65% and the 35% they miss aren't huge (Chiarelli). The big thing for me is a plan and the strength to carry it out without feeling job pressure to do something silly in the short term, or a lack of confidence that has a plan changing all the time.

He seems to have those which makes him a good GM in my book, but he's allowed to be wrong some of the time.
You are right obviously, but I think one of the most importing thing for every GM is to know the strenght and weakness of his team and then being able to address it. If you think just a few core parts are missing, you can give up assets to fill those holes and create a contending team. But we obviously have more problems than experienced starter and shutdown defenseman. Lets be honest, we were not going to win this season, nor are we about to win the next one. Means we are not in the contending window and we should value our picks and prospects. That being said, your picks are as valuable as the quality of your scouting and your GM. If you are bad in that department, they have less value then players you can acquire by trades. But that is poor excuse for trading them, isnt it?
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #58
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The NHL will need to change their rule long before the NCAA will ever allow this for their athletes IMO.
I don’t see the issue

2 years to sign CHLers
4 years to sign Euros
4 years to sign college players

Where’s the problem? Most of the time prospects sign with the team that drafts them. Sometimes they don’t and that can be CHLers, Euros or college players.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #59
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Lets be honest, we were not going to win this season, nor are we about to win the next one. Means we are not in the contending window and we should value our picks and prospects.
The Flames are about to enter their contending window.

Treliving does value picks and prospects. We had an abundance of them so he converted some of them into a physical defensive defenseman in his prime in Hamonic. That was an important piece to get as we completely lacked anyone who could fill that role prior to the Hamonic trade. The Flames had a wealth of young players, prospects and picks and therefore we could afford to move some. Doesn’t mean Treliving didn’t value them.

Don’t really understand why some hate the Hamonic deal. He was an important piece to acquire in the grand scheme of things. Do we need secondary scoring as well? Yes of course, but that’s a separate issue. Obviously it will need to be addressed this season. But we were always going to need one physical defensive defensemen added, that’s an important role to fill long term and none of our puck moving dmen fit the bill exactly. You have to have one physical defensive defensman who can play top 4 and first P.K. unit in order to make it hard for the opposition to get to the front of the net and get easy screens, tips and rebounds.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 06-17-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #60
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
You are right obviously, but I think one of the most importing thing for every GM is to know the strenght and weakness of his team and then being able to address it. If you think just a few core parts are missing, you can give up assets to fill those holes and create a contending team. But we obviously have more problems than experienced starter and shutdown defenseman. Lets be honest, we were not going to win this season, nor are we about to win the next one. Means we are not in the contending window and we should value our picks and prospects. That being said, your picks are as valuable as the quality of your scouting and your GM. If you are bad in that department, they have less value then players you can acquire by trades. But that is poor excuse for trading them, isnt it?
I'd love to have a few beers with Treliving, would be very interesting.

I think he got it wrong. He thought he plug the holes needed to take a big step forward, but it came up short. From comments I think he predicted his final hole that of scoring, but he couldn't fix everything. In the end it bit him in the ass.

From comments he also seems to feel Gulutzan was a good technical coach but was too hands off in the leadership department for a young core that Treliving thinks needed more direction.

That's parsing together comments and not a fact.

So now he changed his coaching staff and I think he's about to bolster the forwards.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: