Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #41
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
1. No
2. Yes but at a cost... the 330 is 10 a month, and you can use the xbox as a tv box for 5 a month

also, dont use coax for your tv. try and sweet talk your installer to run ethernet. you wil thank me
Will they be able to fish cat5 into a location where there is only coax?
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #42
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had an install booked on Jan 21st and they had a screw up with their dispatch and I didn't get on their list for the install to take place. I was really bummed, but giving them another chance and the first available date for me was on the 7th so here is hoping they don't make another mistake.

I really want this service and being in a new neighborhood I qualify for the best package they can offer. Is there any tips for what I should request/do for when the installer comes? Anything that maybe I should ask for or get changed or get taught by the installer? I saw earlier you gave the tip of the cat5 and I will try to make sure i get that to the TV (didn't run it through the house on building though, wish I would have). Is there anything else like that?

Thanks,

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #43
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get him to set up your remote correctly so it turns the TV and STB off/on with one button.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #44
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Will they be able to fish cat5 into a location where there is only coax?
Hard to say without being there but if coax already exists I dont see why not. Its just extra work but its worth it. Ethernet is a far better cable than coax, there is no interefence like on coax to make the picture suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
I had an install booked on Jan 21st and they had a screw up with their dispatch and I didn't get on their list for the install to take place. I was really bummed, but giving them another chance and the first available date for me was on the 7th so here is hoping they don't make another mistake.

I really want this service and being in a new neighborhood I qualify for the best package they can offer. Is there any tips for what I should request/do for when the installer comes? Anything that maybe I should ask for or get changed or get taught by the installer? I saw earlier you gave the tip of the cat5 and I will try to make sure i get that to the TV (didn't run it through the house on building though, wish I would have). Is there anything else like that?

Thanks,
for the installer himself the best and only real advice i can give is make sure they run ethernet instead of coax. this is the key to a great tv experience imo.
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #45
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hard to say without being there but if coax already exists I dont see why not. Its just extra work but its worth it. Ethernet is a far better cable than coax, there is no interefence like on coax to make the picture suck

for the installer himself the best and only real advice i can give is make sure they run ethernet instead of coax. this is the key to a great tv experience imo.
is this something that I will flat out have to request or will it be given as an option? How annoyed is the guy going to be when i request that he installs everything via ethernet instead of Coax?

Minecraft and more!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #46
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That would be awesome, my main TV is in the living room on the main floor above the fireplace, where the bulder only ran coax. I am hoping that the installer can run cat5 to that location because that is where I want the PVR to be. But I am not optimistic because it is an exterior wall and cable would have to traverse the entire length of the house up from the basement which is finished.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #47
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
is this something that I will flat out have to request or will it be given as an option? How annoyed is the guy going to be when i request that he installs everything via ethernet instead of Coax?
He might be annoyed but as the customer you should get what you want. It's really not a huge ask.. everyone at telus and installers know that cat 5 works best. it's literally night and day difference. and yes, 1st thing you should say to the guy when you shake his hand and welcome him into your home is "can you please run cat 5 for my tv". make him a cup of coffee, or a nice little snack if you feel bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
That would be awesome, my main TV is in the living room on the main floor above the fireplace, where the bulder only ran coax. I am hoping that the installer can run cat5 to that location because that is where I want the PVR to be. But I am not optimistic because it is an exterior wall and cable would have to traverse the entire length of the house up from the basement which is finished.
See above
Old 02-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #48
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The router uses an HPNA adaptor to run ethernet over coax... so there is no difference at all (as long as the coax is good and not split). If there is good coax, the installer is going to use that.
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsnaP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #49
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He might be annoyed but as the customer you should get what you want. It's really not a huge ask.. everyone at telus and installers know that cat 5 works best. it's literally night and day difference.
It uses ethernet over coax, its not a standard analog signal and there is no difference in picture between the two. (data is data)

As long as the coax is in good shape and it tests ok, the installers will swap out for good compression connectors and that is it.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #50
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsnaP View Post
The router uses an HPNA adaptor to run ethernet over coax... so there is no difference at all (as long as the coax is good and not split). If there is good coax, the installer is going to use that.
Whoops, took too long to type my reply.....what he said.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #51
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So me being in a 2 year old house the Coax would probably be pretty darn good to begin with. Would i see as much of a difference as compared to a 25 year old house?

Minecraft and more!
Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #52
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Whoops, took too long to type my reply.....what he said.
I thought I was a slow typer.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #53
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So me being in a 2 year old house the Coax would probably be pretty darn good to begin with. Would i see as much of a difference as compared to a 25 year old house?
No not really, as long as the coax is good and has no splitters in it, it will be just fine. The techs will test the coax first and replace all the ends to ensure a good signal.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #54
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah it's ethernet so the quality should either be exactly the same as a cat5 line, or if it's dropping packets, then the video will drop out and stutter.

I'd never thought of a coax-ethernet adapter, even if I don't do Optik this might be useful.

Do you know if they have service out in Chestermere?
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #55
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
My parents had the Telus pre-optik stuff and it was a nightmare. However, after they switched to Optik, I honestly think it's better than shaw. A lot more user friendly but I haven't really had the chance to really test it out.
I cannot begin to describe how horrible, painful and utterly useless TelusTV was. It was the absolute worse consumer product I've ever used. Worst EVER.

That said, to hear so many glowing (long term) reviews for Optik, I can't help but consider switching back.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #56
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The old platform did have issues.. I can agree to that. I had TTV since about day 1, Optik is by far the best platform TELUS has used... just awesome.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #57
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
He might be annoyed but as the customer you should get what you want. It's really not a huge ask.. everyone at telus and installers know that cat 5 works best. it's literally night and day difference.
Quote:
These two posts in succession are pretty funny. Good thing we know who actually works for Telus here.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #58
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you think analog coax gives as good signal as digital ethernet I have some land in new jersey to sell you.

One of the first fixes a tech will do if the install quality is bad is switch from coax to Ethernet cable.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #59
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I didnt know there way such a thing as analog coax... I thought it was just a medium to transmit a signal.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsnaP For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #60
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Optic, but the thing that sucks is I live in a building right downtown, and only get 1HD channel... I would have figured downtown buildings would all have the higher services.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote