Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #21
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I assume that's for offense 5v5, but since it could be for 5v5 defense or 5v4, I'll ask anyways: which is it?
Sounds like a powerplay setup.

I can't see how positioning a player behind your own net could lead to anything good defensively.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 05:43 AM   #22
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shore is an NHL player but I don't think he'll explode if placed with top tier linemates. Game play is a lot different when you're facing top two way opponents and top 4 dmen, which Shore doesn't face typically.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #23
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see Shore with rookies with potential. If the Flames get a top line RW, I'd like to see him withth Foo and another young guy. Imagine a fourth line of rookies who could produce, that would be a real energy line.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #24
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking forward to camp where we see things like this materialize.

I've always liked the idea of pairing+compliment, and I think Peters was talking about the same when he came on board. It will be interesting to see if anything materializes between him and Mangipane or Foo.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:20 AM   #25
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
While I think they will re-sign Shore I think he will start as 13th forward and hope for injuries. I think the dereck Ryan rumours have legs. New coach is going to want a player that knows his system and helps relate it to the players. Ryan is probably one of the cheaper options to do it. Shore is not taking janko or Backlund place.

A 4th line of Lazar - Shore - Ryan would be nice to see.

As a side note - no matter how I look at it, Troy Brouwer has no place on this roster other than as a 13th or 14th forward.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #26
SanFranFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I assume that's for offense 5v5, but since it could be for 5v5 defense or 5v4, I'll ask anyways: which is it?
Oops, good question. For 5v4 actually. Just Googled to find one of his articles on it.

https://thecoachessite.com/2018/05/2...ven-analytics/
SanFranFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SanFranFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #27
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

If potential is there then too bad he is going to be playing with the likes of Lazar and Brouwer.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #28
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"Mangiapane should be able to contribute at a middle 6 level next year "

......W....What?

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #29
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really liked the Shore pick up but I am not expecting much more than a 4th lice center and if we see 10g and 15a the Flames are laughing. I think he is decent enough to do spot duty on higher lines but that is it.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #30
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it would be different with Peters but Gulutzan wasn't too interested in using Shore, even though our bottom 6 sucked royally. I am skeptical any kind of breakout will happen
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #31
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane - Shore - Foo/Gawdin/Dube/Klimchuk/Lazar (whoever wins the job out of camp)

Feel like that would be a quick, talented, high energy 4th line for us next year.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 06-20-2018 at 11:46 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 12:00 PM   #32
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post
"Mangiapane should be able to contribute at a middle 6 level next year "

......W....What?
22-year-old second-year pro who scored at a +1.00 pts/gp rate in the AHL. I don't see the issue here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #33
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would be happy with Monahan/Backlund/Jankowski/Shore down the middle. Shore should be a decent upgrade to Stajan on the fourth line.

Also please stop posting lineups with Brouwer in the lineup, it's depressing
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #34
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love for Nick Shore to be signed as a 3rd/4th line center for a year or two. He looked quite serviceable in the limited time he was with the Flames. He is just 25, so there could still be some potential growth there. I hope that also leads to Bennett being converted to a full-time winger.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #35
SanFranFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Mangiapane - Shore - Foo/Gawdin/Dube/Klimchuk/Lazar (whoever wins the job out of camp)

Feel like that would be a quick, talented, high energy 4th line for us next year.
I like this idea a lot. A modern 4th line with skill that can actually contribute. Though the RW is a bit 😬. Another cheap target that the article suggest for similar reasons is Joel Armia.
SanFranFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:40 AM   #36
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say, it is nice to read articles like this. One can hope that they turn out accurate, but I stopped holding my breath. I just take a wait and see attitude.

I still remember years ago when the Flames signed Stone... Not the current Stone, but an Oilers cast-off (well, for 27 games anyway) Ryan Stone. He had some really good underlying numbers, including what I like to see - points per 60 minutes. It made him sound like a really exceptionally smart signing.

He never played for the Flames. It is not entirely fair to say that the article was wrong, as he was battling injuries. I remember getting upset that year as to why the Flames didn't give this diamond in the rough a shot to really shine. He played only two more seasons of hockey after the single season in Abbotsford, and it looks like he retired.

I am hoping for Shore to prove the author right, but I wouldn't bet on it. I liked what I saw from him, but what I saw was a reliable depth player who is good defensively. I didn't see much in the way of offence, even when he got moved up the lineup. It was a solid trade for the Flames, but it seems like a depth move only at this time, and one that allows the Flames to have some flexibility in the lineup when it comes to defensive assignments.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:32 AM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I have to say, it is nice to read articles like this. One can hope that they turn out accurate, but I stopped holding my breath. I just take a wait and see attitude.

I still remember years ago when the Flames signed Stone... Not the current Stone, but an Oilers cast-off (well, for 27 games anyway) Ryan Stone. He had some really good underlying numbers, including what I like to see - points per 60 minutes. It made him sound like a really exceptionally smart signing.

He never played for the Flames. It is not entirely fair to say that the article was wrong, as he was battling injuries. I remember getting upset that year as to why the Flames didn't give this diamond in the rough a shot to really shine. He played only two more seasons of hockey after the single season in Abbotsford, and it looks like he retired.

I am hoping for Shore to prove the author right, but I wouldn't bet on it. I liked what I saw from him, but what I saw was a reliable depth player who is good defensively. I didn't see much in the way of offence, even when he got moved up the lineup. It was a solid trade for the Flames, but it seems like a depth move only at this time, and one that allows the Flames to have some flexibility in the lineup when it comes to defensive assignments.

I always thought Shore needed to be given more ice time, and that he did well with what he got. There's been a few guys like that over the years. Heck, Drew Shore was another. My hope is that GG was so intent on winning that he focussed on using guys he knew better.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:12 AM   #38
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
A 4th line of Lazar - Shore - Ryan would be nice to see.

As a side note - no matter how I look at it, Troy Brouwer has no place on this roster other than as a 13th or 14th forward.
Wasting 4,5 mil of cap space on 13th - 14th forward is one of our major issues.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 AM   #39
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Not really any worse than spending it on a 12th forward.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #40
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesaver View Post
Better to have dead cap than ice a player that is just not fitting in with the Flames. You can't make decisions based on optics. Just ice the lineup that gives the Flames the best chance to win.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post: