Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #321
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure they are trivial issues, but... do I want my car damaged because it recognized a small animal as more important than some parts on my car? So now somebody (legislative) decides what animals are allowed to be run over, which can't, etc. It's all of these things that lead me to believe we won't see any real self-driving cars in prime-time. There are a lot of different stimuli that need to be filtered for importance and priority. How does the computer respond when something isn't set up as expected? For example there are some places where stop signs or yields have twisted around. As a human, I can make the judgement based on other objects that I expect that the stop sign is for me or for traffic going the way. I don't even need to be familiar with the area, most people just get it. Will the computer tell me car to come to a stop every time it sees something possibly about to cross paths with it? I know with about 95% certainty that the backhoe that is backing up is going to stop and not hit me. Is my car going to freak out and preemptively stop despite there being no serious risk?

If an autonomous car has to stop and check with the driver constantly it is going to be unbearable. You might say that signs will be programmed in to correlate with the GPS, but as many who have travelled the transcanada, construction is constant, signage and speed limits change, there are front loaders coming precariously close. Can the car navigate the pylons that are set up or obey the flagspeople? Now, let's say I am drunk and being driven by the car. What happens in that case? I just paid $$$ for this car to make sure I can get home from parties - how does this situation get solved?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #322
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
This Tesla Solar Roof tech seems to have surprised most analysts..

And on a house ...
Spoiler!
This is great tech and I really hope it gains widespread appeal; it can't help but lower the carbon footprint of single family houses.

BUT, I hope that the general population don't latch on to it thinking that a solar roof (which is effectively a sub optimal solar panel array) will make them self-sufficient in terms of electricity.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #323
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I'm kind of running on the assumption that the car would have all the relevant data (which is a big assumption I agree, but in principle there shouldn't be any reason it doesn't and it should in fact have far more information).

I know I've almost caused an accident because I braked to avoid hitting a dog, if I'd had eyes on the back of my head and had seen how close the car was behind me I might have opted to definitely injure or kill the dog instead of risking injuring the people in the cars behind me. Maybe, though I don't know if I could have. Similar thing happened with a mom and baby ducks, though not nearly as close, just got honked at.
Actually, you would not have caused that, the car in back of you would have caused it and been at fault. Following too closely is a common cause of accidents.

This would not change with a computer, fundamentally, the highway traffic act would have to be programmed into the system, as well as a vehicle stopping distance calculator.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 11-02-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:54 PM   #324
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump. Canadian configurator emails are being sent out tonight. Delivery timelines are 4-8 weeks.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:36 PM   #325
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Bump. Canadian configurator emails are being sent out tonight. Delivery timelines are 4-8 weeks.
Really? I thought they were super behind?

For giggles, I had tossed my hat in the ring . . . didn't realize that they would call my bluff so quickly.

EDIT: Huh, you're right. First production: 310 mile range, Rear Wheel Drive and premium upgrades
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #326
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Company seems to be in trouble, stock is absolutely cratering this week.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #327
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Really? I thought they were super behind?
They're behind their optimistic initial production estimate, so they're now prioritizing people will are willing to pay for the more expensive variants as well as trying to get Ontario buyers in before the likely end of the Liberal government and the elimination of the $14K tax credit.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #328
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Report: Science Teacher In Romantic Relationship With Art Student

https://thehardtimes.net/music/break...g-art-student/

Eccentric science teacher Elon Musk is in a romantic relationship with professional art student Grimes, sources confirmed. The 46-year-old Musk has reportedly been quietly dating Grimes for about a month.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #329
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Report: Science Teacher In Romantic Relationship With Art Student

https://thehardtimes.net/music/break...g-art-student/

Eccentric science teacher Elon Musk is in a romantic relationship with professional art student Grimes, sources confirmed. The 46-year-old Musk has reportedly been quietly dating Grimes for about a month.
For a billionaire he certainly can do better than Marla from Fight Club.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #330
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So many Onion clones, so many not nearly as funny.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #331
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
For a billionaire he certainly can do better than Marla from Fight Club.
He probably barely sees her, in his biography he ponders if 10 hours a week is enough time to sustain a relationship.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #332
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla's PowerPak technology, along with renewables, have reduced Australias electric grid costs by 90%

Quote:
Tesla’s giant Powerpack battery in Australia has been in operation for about 6 months now and we are just starting to discover the magnitude of its impact on the local energy market.

A new report now shows that it reduced the cost of the grid service that it performs by 90% and it has already taken a majority share of the market.
When an issue happens or maintenance is required on the power grid in Australia, the Energy Market Operator calls for FCAS (frequency control and ancillary services) which consists of large and costly gas generators and steam turbines kicking in to compensate for the loss of power.

Electricity rates can be seen reaching $14,000 per MW during those FCAS periods.

Tesla’s 100MW/129MWh Powerpack project in South Australia can provide the same service cheaper, quicker, and with zero-emissions, through its battery system.

It is so efficient that it reportedly should have made around $1 million in just a few days in January, but Tesla complained last month that they are not being paid correctly because the system doesn’t account for how fast Tesla’s Powerpacks start discharging their power into the grid.
https://electrek.co/2018/05/11/tesla...-service-cost/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #333
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Apparently one of musks companies was selling flame throwers.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/terms-cond...001624177.html
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #334
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like you can forget about using an electric car for ski trips...

Quote:
Electric cars’ range falls by nearly half on average in temperatures under 20 degrees, according to the study, a number big enough to spook some buyers I’d think.AAA tested five cars: the a 2018 Nissan Leaf, a 2018 BMW i3s, a 2018 Chevy Bolt, a 2017 Tesla Model S 75D, and a 2017 Volkswagen e-Golf. The average loss of range on all the cars was 41 percent in very cold conditions, primarily due to the heating system using up so much power. AAA also measured a corresponding affect in 95-degree heat because of air-conditioner use, but that effect was smaller, or 17 percent of the car’s range.
https://jalopnik.com/electric-vehicl...old-1832440470

40% range loss makes it impossible to do a round trip to Lake Louise without a charge.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #335
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I wonder if running them on a dyno is an accurate simulation of real world conditions. Would the lack of air flow help or hinder its range? Is a moving car easier or harder to heat? I would guess it would be the latter for both questions but maybe Tesla does something to increase range in cold besides heating the battery.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #336
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Looks like you can forget about using an electric car for ski trips...

https://jalopnik.com/electric-vehicl...old-1832440470

40% range loss makes it impossible to do a round trip to Lake Louise without a charge.
Who'd have thought the same issue that means my regular car wont start on a cold day if the battery is kind of old would crop up in cars powered by batteries, logically I suppose it means that the cars range on a cold day after a few years use will be measured in tens of miles not hundreds
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #337
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My wife uses her Tesla to go to Louise. It all depends on how cold it is, whether she needs to charge in Canmore. Her range is about 430km. Model S 85D. The 100D will get you over 500km. If it's just mild out, she can make it there and back, but just. If it's cold, like -20, she needs to stop at the supercharger in Canmore. Warming up the batteries is the key. In the winter, she logs in before she heads out and warms up the car while it's plugged in. If she doesn't do that, there is a pretty significant decline.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #338
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Louise and back is about 360km, depending on where in the city you leave from. So that's 83% of her range. Without knowing how low she is in Canmore it's tough to say, but it's less than 83%, so if they say you lose 40% in the cold, your example probably isn't to far off.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #339
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh yeah, in weather like this, she would have to stop on the way home in Canmore. One time she took off, drove aggressively and her range dropped more than normal so she stopped in Canmore on the way out and gave it a quick bump, just to be safe. She was fine, but better to be safe. One time she was almost home and the car automatically started power management. The heated seats turned off, heater turned down, etc. A little further and the car would control the speed and slow down.

She is pretty diligent with her car. To maximize battery life, you need to limit your daily charge, as well as how much you supercharge. So for a daily driver, she charges to 70% Recommended is 50-80%. When she know's she heading out to the mountains she will do a full charge the night before. Car is 3 years old and her battery range is >98%

But yes, these cars require more planning for sure and having the superchargers in Canmore is huge.

We usually use my truck though for skiing. It's just easier, especially on cold days, but there are days I'm not going with her and I need my truck, so she plans according and does a full charge at home. If I don't need my truck, she will take it, and I will use the car. And we live on the west edge of the city, which helps. We also used to live in Cochrane. If you had to drive across the city, then you would have to plan differently than we do.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #340
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, good info. I have read that long term battery life is much better than they initially thought, so even 10 years out they have something like better than 90% of original.