Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #1541
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thought the Rumble was mediocre at best. I thought the whole Lesner thing at the beginning was a little boring. I like the idea of him mowing down everyone, but it lead to a lot of dead air and waiting around.

Edge was a nice surprise!

I am going to go ahead and say it, woman's wrestling is not very good. I find that most matches are over scripted, sloppy, and slow paced. The most infuriating thing is the over exaggerated moves and reactions. It doesn't flow well and looks very fake. I lost count at how many botches and sloppy moves I saw during the few moments I was actually paying attention.

In my personal opinion I would remove woman's wrestling entirely from Raw/Smackdown and give them their own show and PPV's. This way they still have a platform to perform and those that enjoy watching it can, but those who don't want to waste time watching it don't have to be subjected to half a PPV worth of garbage. If the product is as good as some state, then they will have no issues carrying their own weekly show.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #1542
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it looks like the original plan was to have Roman and Baszler win.

I'm glad Roman didn't win but I would have rather had Baszler win. I'm so sick of Charlotte.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #1543
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked the Lesnar thing and thought it had to happen, they need to re establish Brock as a killer and did that. In a short period of time, he made Keith Lee and elevated Drew.

I had to laugh though, I still think the biggest pop of the night went to Liv for eliminating Lana. Oh and Edge's return with the best theme ever.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #1544
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also the Brock thing led to Dancing Brock. Dancing Brock is never a bad thing.

I didn't want Charlotte to win but I don't think I want Shayna to win entering that late either. Feels too easy for her character.

She's a killer. Let her go destroy the main division and earn the title shot.

I feel like Alexa winning the rumble from #1 probably would have been the best story they could have told last night. After carrying that divison for a little bit before Becky's breakout she's kind of lost her shine.

That could have been a huge moment and I feel like as the match went on if she got to the final 4, and then eliminated Charlotte last or something that the pop would have been huge.

Like have both Charlotte, Bazler, and Bliss as the final 3. Have Charlotte and Bazler just battling hard with Alexa kind of forgotten after being in the match 60 minutes and getting destroyed by then. Have Charlotte and Bazler both end up on the apron after going over the top, and then Alexa comes back and eliminates them both at the same time. Charlotte and Bazler keep fighting on the outside after the match is over.

Sets up Bliss for a good WM story (preferably vs Bailey since face Bliss vs heel Bayley could be an interesting story), sets up Charlotte vs Bazler, and my gut is still that Ronda returns at WM for the return match against Becky.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-27-2020 at 11:40 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #1545
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What a bizarre Raw, Drew beats the Worlds Greatest tag team in a squash to open things up.

Humberto murders Andrade with a vicious hammer lock DDT on the concrete, Zelina really sells the whole thing.

Becky Lynch buries the woman's division completely in what I would consider to be a poor promo. Basically all the woman in the division are below her, they're all dopes. She'll fight Charlotte, not because she wants to, but its the last time (which means Charlottes winning the belt at wrestlemania). Really bad idea of a promo. I was hoping that Shayna would come out and rip her arm off and beat her with it.

Charlotte fights Asuka, and the audience growns as Charlotte wins again.

They really need to freshen up the roster.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #1546
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Raw was great, best in years. The ending with Orton and Edge was incredible. Very well done, especially on Orton's part. His emotions of going after his former tag partner were something else. Really bought it, and I'm sure some of those emotions going for the headshots were true.

Also just loving the long term booking and storylines they have going right now. No 50/50 booking win one lose one, with no logic behind it. Almost everything is being booked well in advance in one coherent story. Everything from the Monday Night Messiah gimmick to Liv/Lana. Even the 24/7 booking isn't just being throw into a blender; not a big Mojo fan, but at least there's an actual story there.

You can really tell Heyman is behind all this. I'm not totally on board yet, but there have been significant improvements especially on Raw in 2020.

The only question I have is with such an expansive roster how can they put everyone on the Wrestlemania card?
Lesnar/Mcintyre
Edge/Orton
Becky/Charlotte
Bayley/Banks?
Fiend/Reigns

Where does that leave the rest? Bryan, Owens, Joe, Strowman, Black, Styles, Andrade, Rollins, Murphy, Lashley, Rusev, Mysterio, Asuka, New Day, Sheamus, Nakamura, Cesaro, Miz, Morrison, Corbin, Bliss, any kind of legend involvement; let alone anyone in NXT. I know many will just be lumped into the Battle Royale, but a lot of these guys and girls deserve better.

Oh and Andrade tested positive for a banned substance and has been suspended for 30 days. Which explains why he was written off television for a while.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:37 PM   #1547
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, just read on Andrande and his suspension, great way to send him away.

It was a great Raw, and that ending showed that when Randy gives a crap about a story line he's amazing, and that WWE can still pull amazing things out of a hat.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #1548
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just need to mix up the roster.

It’s unfathomable that a roster with this much talent (in-ring at least) has such a hard time creating new and interesting fueds.

It won’t happen with the new TV deals but I still think they need to get rid of the brand split, and mix up the matchups a bit.

Each show can still have its own look and feel, but let the talent bounce around more fluidly.

If I’m setting up the roster this is what it looks like:

Top End Main Event Tier (Universal/World Title Holders)
- Brock
- Daniel Bryan
- Rollins
- Roman
- AJ Styles
- Bray
- Edge

Legitimate Universal/World Title Challengers, US/IC Title Holders
- Drew (might get elevated with this RR push)
- Finn Balor
- Kevin Owens
- Kofi
- Samoa Joe
- Randy Orton
- Nakamura
- Braun
- Sami Zayn (Back in his underdog Face role)
- Corbin

Pushing To Break Into the Top Two Tiers (High Potential - need NXT/IC/US Title win to elevate)
- Walter
- Adam Cole
- Alestar Black
- Keith Lee
- Andrade
- Ricochet
- Velveteen Dream
- Buddy Murphy
- Roderick Strong
- Pete Dunne
- Ciampa
- Mustafa Ali

Enhancement Talent Heels - (Strong Performers, that can be in a good fued as you try to develop a baby face, but you probably don’t put a belt on long term or consider in the world title picture)

- The Miz
- Cesaro
- Rusev
- Robert Roode
- Dolph Ziggler
- Bobby Lashley
- EC3
- Elias
- John Morrison
- Sheamus

Men’s Tag Team (Keep the tag teams as tag teams, no more world champion + friend type of tag teams):

- Undisputed Era (Fish + O’Reilly)
- Usos
- New Day (Big E + Woods)
- Revival
- War Machine
- Imperium (Aichner + Barthel)
- Gallus
- OC
- Moustache Mountain
- DIY (If not elevated in singles)
- AOP
- Street Profits
- American Alpha (reunite them)

Let them all be on one “brand” (Keep NXT a little separate with more development and cruiserweight talent still). Build some factions across the groups, and then keep having some fresh fueds.

Then for the females build a single strong division with one title and the women’s tag titles. More than enough talent that the focus doesn’t have to always be just Becky and Charlotte.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-27-2020 at 10:13 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #1549
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh and we finally got to see Liv work a proper match. She had this reputation in the locker room in NXT of being the hardest working person at NXT when she was there, and she could wrestle good matches. Its sad that she's going to have to carry Lana to a good match which might be impossible.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:09 PM   #1550
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

YES!!!!!

https://lordsofpain.net/big-womens-m...e-on-the-card/

Old 01-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #1551
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, so apparently Sammy Guevara showed up at Royal Rumble in a children's tank to recreate the DX invasion angle and was reciting the infamous "Steiner math" promo.

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/ae...le-in-houston/
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #1552
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Lol, so apparently Sammy Guevara showed up at Royal Rumble in a children's tank to recreate the DX invasion angle and was reciting the infamous "Steiner math" promo.

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/ae...le-in-houston/

AEW is starting to fall into that TNA trap of "Well we'll just do an old WWF angle but kind of make fun of it."

Which then risks turning into "Well we'll just do an old WWF angle"

It already watches like 1999-2000 WCW, so I am a bit worried about the current direction.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #1553
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
AEW is starting to fall into that TNA trap of "Well we'll just do an old WWF angle but kind of make fun of it."

Which then risks turning into "Well we'll just do an old WWF angle"

It already watches like 1999-2000 WCW, so I am a bit worried about the current direction.
I don't think this was an AEW thing. I think it was just Sammy trying to drum up followers for his social media accounts. He's been running a whole social media obsession/vlogging gimmick for a couple months now.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #1554
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think this was an AEW thing. I think it was just Sammy trying to drum up followers for his social media accounts. He's been running a whole social media obsession/vlogging gimmick for a couple months now.

I'd imagine he'd have to get AEW go ahead to pull something like that, but maybe not.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #1555
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m not sure why Randy is being booed here. When you look back at all the betrayals and Backstabbing Edge has put people through over Edge’s career, it’s just poetic justice to see Randy finally avenging all those victims.

Randy probably got high fives and back pats in gorilla
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #1556
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm also curious about this as I've debated doing that cruise the last two years.
I would give anything just to be there when Jericho made his entrance and the whole ship sang to his theme, Judas...

AEW released a vid of Jericho’s entrance on the cruise without the commentary

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B713fL9...d=yc1hqa7xi7wa
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #1557
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Alex McCarthy of TalkSPORT, says that Edge's new three-year deal is worth $3 million per year, as long as he competes three times a year at the minimum. Edge has reportedly committed to more dates throughout the year, four other matches to be exact, (Royal Rumble was additional to these four). On top of that, he will make 25 appearances per year.
https://www.thesportster.com/wrestli...zHzMwhu7xvhAbo
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:22 AM   #1558
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
I would give anything just to be there when Jericho made his entrance and the whole ship sang to his theme, Judas...

AEW released a vid of Jericho’s entrance on the cruise without the commentary

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B713fL9...d=yc1hqa7xi7wa
This seems to be a thing now. The crowd in Cleveland were doing it last night. It was funny because Jericho was trying to heel it up but you could tell he was tremendously amused by it and couldn't help but smile.

Overall, a solid if unspectacular show. Hangman Page is hilarious. He's absolutely crushing this drunk gimmick he's working. The whole getting Matt Jackson to hold his beer so he could hit the Buckshot Lariat was pretty funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #1559
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1222685385463123969
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #1560
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This seems to be a thing now. The crowd in Cleveland were doing it last night. It was funny because Jericho was trying to heel it up but you could tell he was tremendously amused by it and couldn't help but smile.

Overall, a solid if unspectacular show. Hangman Page is hilarious. He's absolutely crushing this drunk gimmick he's working. The whole getting Matt Jackson to hold his beer so he could hit the Buckshot Lariat was pretty funny.
You can’t blame Jericho for embracing it when the crowd is that hot. Cleveland was funny since they instantly forgot the words to his song after they cut Jericho’s theme. The cruise crowd knew the whole song

I didn’t like the women’s match. Big Swole was a big disappointment.

Drunken cowboy Hangman Page was great! I don’t know how they could turn him full heel when he’s getting such a pop with the crowd

The promo that stole the show was Dr. Bitch Baker. Haha, this line sealed it for me... “Cleveland, I’m a Baker who won’t let you down”
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post: