Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-26-2019, 01:36 AM   #81
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I think it's not a question of when, it's a question of how many.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:58 AM   #82
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Lol, you're so serious all the time. It was a clearly a post in jest. Jesus.
How can you know for sure? Some people legitimately feel that way. Seems weird to assume everybody is joking all the time

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 08-26-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #83
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
How can you know for sure? Some people legitimately feel that way. Seems weird to assume everybody is joking all the time
You can't tell me you haven't noticed Locke and his posting style? Seriously? Locke?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #84
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
TB and Calgary were the top 2 teams over an 82 game schedule.

Two excellent teams were beaten in short order in the first round. However, both teams should still be considered top contenders entering the 19/20 season.

Lessons were learned.

Primarily, your best players have to be your best players in the playoffs. Neither team was even close to accomplishing that, in the first round.
I'm surprised that that fact needed to be learned.

They should have asked any number of fans on this board. We could have told them.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #85
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
...That is disappointing. The team has real issues in the middle six and we still haven't added any stability in net. We are still a very good team, but we are also in a three year window and coming off a playoff meltdown. I was hoping Treliving was a bit more aggressive in taking a step forward...
“More aggressive”? Treliving pulled the trigger on a trade that would have seen Nazeem Kadri in Calgary. That strikes me as very aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #86
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
“More aggressive”? Treliving pulled the trigger on a trade that would have seen Nazeem Kadri in Calgary. That strikes me as very aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And potentially the Zucker trade which is more minor than the attempted Kadri acquisition.

I wouldnt fault Treliving for not being able to be more aggressive. I think all indications point to he and the management team considering this team more or less the finished product. Major changes are unlikely unless this team continues to squander its window of opportunity.

But look at where this team is at. Competing, making the playoffs is likely now considered an expectation and the goal is to go deeper.

Missing the playoffs under Ol' Gul was a disaster.

Getting blown out by the Avs was a disaster.

But Treliving continues to methodically improve the roster, but again, flexibility is difficult without considering major changes, which I would consider unlikely.

But how many more disasters can this roster take? We are playing with House Money with Giordano, Monahan and Gaudreau contracts (which are brilliant) are ticking away.

I think to teams who won a Cup by firing their GM so someone else can come in and get them 'over the hump.'

It has worked in the past, but I'm hesitant to go that route because overall I think Treliving has worked wonders and built a strong team, but if thats all it is, a team that makes the playoffs and gets smoked then the prospect likely gets considered.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #87
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I might be in the minority here but I think the Flames actually have a better lineup this year, the forwards anyways (losing Valimaki sucks). But with no Neal and potentially no Frolik, there is more opportunity for a more offensively inclined player like Bennett or Dube on Backlunds wing while not giving up too much defensively.

And production wise last year Ryan and Mangiapane were essentially the third line but Bennett draggin Neal around was given the third line opportunities so I think with him gone Ryan and Mangiapane get those extra opportunities with either Bennett or Dube filling in. I think that is three very effective lines, two of which are capable of handling tough defensive minutes as well. And as for the fourth line, it will have some speed (Czarnik), Lucic who can just be a wrecking ball, and hopefully Janko improves a little bit five on five too. Fourth line might not be great but if they can provide energy and a few points here and there I think this team is looking better.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #88
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
...And production wise last year Ryan and Mangiapane were essentially the third line but Bennett draggin Neal around was given the third line opportunities so I think with him gone Ryan and Mangiapane get those extra opportunities with either Bennett or Dube filling in. I think that is three very effective lines, two of which are capable of handling tough defensive minutes as well...
It's worth pointing out that after settling in on his new team Derek Ryan scored at a 55-point pace in the second half last year. I think he is going to be really good this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #89
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It's worth pointing out that after settling in on his new team Derek Ryan scored at a 55-point pace in the second half last year. I think he is going to be really good this season.
Ya I agree, that is why I think his line will be the true third line this year and be given some extra fire power to work with. Bennett might actually be the best for that role because he can replace Hathaway's forecheck while having more offensive potential.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #90
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Talbot replacing Smith and Lucic replacing Neal are close to a wash. Tkachuk will cost more, Hathaway is gone, and we are probably going to lose someone else as a cap casualty. So barring a fall deal we are taking a step back (at least on paper) this season.

That is disappointing. The team has real issues in the middle six and we still haven't added any stability in net. We are still a very good team, but we are also in a three year window and coming off a playoff meltdown. I was hoping Treliving was a bit more aggressive in taking a step forward.

That said, let's see if Rittich can take a step forward and how kids like Andersson and Dube factor in. Let's also hope our army of 'career seasons' don't regress too far. Finally, let's hope the team learned something from the late season meltdown. If that can all happen, perhaps we can take a step forward.
I disagree that Talbot + Lucic is a wash with Smith + Neal.

Even in his worst season, Talbot performed better than Smith did. There is a much greater likelihood that Talbot reverses his numbers on a team with an actual NHL caliber Defense than Smith does playing behind the oilers. I think the 2 playoff games that Smith played well in are really saving people's judgment of him. He was by far the worst consistently started goalie in the league last year. The flames got to second place in spite of this god awful play.

Then there's Neal. Neal had roughly the same point production as Lucic in approximately 2 minutes less time per game played. Point production is literally the only area that they are close though- Lucic's advanced stats in possession and opportunities were much better than Neal's. Lucic also provides value in that he is actually willing to make contact with people- something we saw that Neal is completely incapable/ unwilling to do. At least Lucic will likely not be weighing anyone down on the ice; the same cannot be said about Neal.

I'm willing to call that swap a net positive, albeit slight, for the flames.

Losing Hathaway does suck, but that's the nature of older role players finding their groove and pricing themselves out. I am willing to call this a net negative, albeit slight. I still think the net positive mentioned above outweighs the loss of Hathaway though.

I disagree with your point on losing another middle six player as a cap casualty. I am assuming you mean frolik. Right now, I think that it is more likely you see someone like Czarnik buried or given away with a pick to accomodate the extra needed for Tkachuk. Frolik and Brodie seem to be pieces that Tre is looking to use in a hockey trade- in which case we will see a roughly equal player coming back. I don't think that losing Czarnik will have any measurable impact on the team's performance.

Most interesting is going to be the career-year performances. A caveat to our players last year is that it's not like a hudler 2014 situation where the player is dramatically outperforming a career average later on in the career. Most of our career years (outside of Gio) were from players that are still younger than or are just reaching their peak years- that is to say that they aren't unexpected performances, just the result of the ramp up to their ultimate production levels at the NHL level. Giordano's ability to sustain his level of play is the one that has the most question marks IMO, but we should reasonably expect similar or better seasons from Mony-Gaudreau-Lindy-Tkachuk and Bennett. Monahan in particular showed how good he could be to start the year but tapered off significantly. I hope we see first half monahan over an entire season this year.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:

Tags
edmonton is no good , edmonton will finish last , they really stink