Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 07-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #41
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Historically the DTES developed out of the logging industry, loggers, like the oil patch now, would be up country for weeks at a time but they were moved by boat not cars so would get off at Hastings pier with a month of pay in their pocket looking for a cheap room, booze and a hooker
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #42
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Interesting!

My other question is why such the huge concentration of hard drug users? Is it because of the injection sites? Other cities have injection sites too.

I don't take weather as a reason.

Toronto, Calgary, Montreal. These cities also have a lack of affordable housing and a crap economy. So why aren't there people outside Exhibition park shooting up? Why is it only Vancouver?
It is more than just weather.

There really is a community down there. Drug addicts have people they interact with, friends, good panhandling locations, sex work, support services, drug dealers, etc.. All also highly concentrated in that area. It's just become a culture down there. Once again, the resources and budgetary cuts required to dismantle the community would be intensive, and no politician wants to be the one responsible for that.

Also, unless you actually deal with the addiction issues dispersing the community would largely be fruitless.

Weather does play a role though. Many of the addicts come from all across Canada and the USA.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #43
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's why I don't understand how Vancouver is ranked as such a great city. With such a huge pocket like that it comes across as a ####hole to me.
I lived there for almost 6 years and would move back tomorrow if I had the chance. East Hastings was the only place I avoided as much as I could. I have a disability which makes me an easy target and I never really felt unsafe whether it was day or night.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #44
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The reason people are homeless is because they have no homes.

If Vancouver wasn't a cesspool of corruption, the homeless problem wouldn't be near the issue it is.

We have low taxes though so weeeeeee.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #45
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The reason people are homeless is because they have no homes.

If Vancouver wasn't a cesspool of corruption, the homeless problem wouldn't be near the issue it is.

We have low taxes though so weeeeeee.
How do you explain Victoria, the homeless capital of the world?

Must be their poop water.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #46
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never really tried it.

But I guarantee if my 10 friends and I got together we got drunk outside some church. Just hanging out on the lawn. The police would come and either tell us to get out of there at the very least.
But when you've sold your last pair of shoes for that case of beer and have no where else to go...
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #47
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

DTES: You won't get mugged, but if you leave a bag unattended for a few seconds that #### is gooooooooooone.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #48
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
It's the weather. It's all about the weather. You know what sucks about Vancouver's weather? The rain. Rain really sucks when you're homeless. Solution? Go to Victoria where rainfall is less than 1/3 of Vancouver.

It's easy to dismiss weather because it matters so little to most people in the big picture. But it matters a hell of a lot more when you have to face it 24/7/365.

Victoria is homeless heaven.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #49
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

Must be their poop water.
Victoria is the epicenter of bc corruption.

It's where the legislature is!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:23 PM   #50
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of Victoria, I recently went there, and got to a Save On Foods for some fruits and snacks. I had to use the washroom.

After I punched in the code and opened the door, I was surprised that the whole washroom was lit by blue UV neon lights, like those you will see at a nightclub. I was like WTF!! Then a grocery clerk who happened to walk by told me that the UV lights were installed for people shooting up in the bathroom, as it will be easier for them to find their veins....

BC and their ultra liberal government. I don't understand it.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #51
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Speaking of Victoria, I recently went there, and got to a Save On Foods for some fruits and snacks. I had to use the washroom.

After I punched in the code and opened the door, I was surprised that the whole washroom was lit by blue UV neon lights, like those you will see at a nightclub. I was like WTF!! Then a grocery clerk who happened to walk by told me that the UV lights were installed for people shooting up in the bathroom, as it will be easier for them to find their veins....

BC and their ultra liberal government. I don't understand it.
It's actually the opposite. The blue light makes it difficult to find veins, and thus discourages drug use.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 12:32 PM   #52
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it's actually the opposite, it's supposed to make it harder to find veins to discourage use in that location.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #53
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver and Victoria attract homeless from across Canada because the weather is mild. Same thing with Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #54
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It is more than just weather.

There really is a community down there. Drug addicts have people they interact with, friends, good panhandling locations, sex work, support services, drug dealers, etc.. All also highly concentrated in that area. It's just become a culture down there. Once again, the resources and budgetary cuts required to dismantle the community would be intensive, and no politician wants to be the one responsible for that.

Also, unless you actually deal with the addiction issues dispersing the community would largely be fruitless.

Weather does play a role though. Many of the addicts come from all across Canada and the USA.
I believe that recent survey data has shown that most of the addicts were locals.

The community is also driven by the high housing prices here in Vancouver. A lot of addicts turn to drugs after a time on the streets.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #55
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seeing a group of people in public injecting themselves with drugs during the middle of the day in the centre of the city is pretty dramatic though. Its like something from a dystopian movie. I've never seen that before or since. I also saw some people who were messed up on something and I just didn't trust what they might do.

I don't get it to be honest. Vancouver has safe injection sites so why do they let these people shoot up outside. Why can't the local police enforce the laws?
Quote:
Like you said it's very shocking to see these hard drugs being used so openly in the city centre.

I guess my question is...Why?

Why is it allowed?

Injection sites aren't restricting themselves to having people inject at the location. They hand out free needles for people to inject whereever they want (outside their site) - their goal is to hand out free paraphernalia for drug users to inject "safely".
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #56
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Injection sites aren't restricting themselves to having people inject at the location. They hand out free needles for people to inject whereever they want (outside their site) - their goal is to hand out free paraphernalia for drug users to inject "safely".
By "safely" you mean to prevent the spread of HIV, HepC, and a host of other infections, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #57
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
By "safely" you mean to prevent the spread of HIV, HepC, and a host of other infections, right?
I assume safely was put in “” because there’s real “safe” way for a drug addict to inject heroin, but it’s significantly safer than the alternative.

Or maybe I’m being generous.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #58
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I assume safely was put in “” because there’s real “safe” way for a drug addict to inject heroin, but it’s significantly safer than the alternative.

Or maybe I’m being generous.
I think there's a pretty heaping helping of NIMBYism going on here.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #59
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Welcome to Vancouver the Museum City of Canada.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #60
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Wait, my post? Or am I being dumb?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote