Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #5921
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The only thing that was rushed was D&D. They wanted to get this series over with so they could move on to other things. Everyone else involved in the production did an amazing job, but you can't overcome bad writing no matter how good everything else is
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #5922
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mistakes were made in other seasons as well, we just look back at those seasons more fondly. Every little mistake in season 8 is being amplified.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #5923
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Ramsay Bolton season was easily the worst. Even Hardhome couldn't save it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #5924
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The Ramsay Bolton season was easily the worst. Even Hardhome couldn't save it.
Easily the least good of the first 6 seasons, which were all still amazing.

7 and 8 need a completely separate ranking system.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #5925
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Easily the least good of the first 6 seasons, which were all still amazing.

7 and 8 need a completely separate ranking system.
Even with the disappointment of 7 and 8, leading to the a poor ending, season 5 is my least favourite season.

"Hey! If you didn't pick it up the first 13 times, lets just show you a little more evidence that Ramsay is a sadist over the course of a season!" Ugh, so lame.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #5926
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I... um... holy carp... Emilia is unbelievably good looking...

* faints *
Old 05-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #5927
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hey Shazam

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:12 PM   #5928
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

^^^^^^

I was really hoping the dragon would try and burn Jon after murdering Dany. Jon survives, since he's a Targaryan. The dragon then acknowledges Jon as the new master.

Also, I find Emilia Clarke good looking,but don't get people who find her extremely good looking.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #5929
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like her as a blonde at all and her eyebrows are weird on GoT.

But with that auburn hair...

Old 05-29-2019, 11:34 PM   #5930
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Emilia Clarke

Last edited by Cuz; 05-29-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:13 AM   #5931
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I think when all the fan overreactions calm down people will again realize what an amazing series it was. There was no great way to end this, no one wanted it to and everyone was so emotionally invested, it was like losing a friend at the end when the credits rolled.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #5932
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interview with Isaac Hempstead Wright: http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/p...bran-interview

Quote:
[Creators] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] told me there were two things [author] George R.R. Martin had planned for Bran, and that was the Hodor revelation, and that he would be king. So that’s pretty special to be directly involved in something that is part of George’s vision. It was a really nice way to wrap it up.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #5933
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

in our brief time with the old 3 Eyed Raven, we see that he's a wise old man (like an Obi Wan), not a totally detached robot with zero social skills. and he'd been in that role for like hundreds of years before Bran showed up. so why did they decide to make Bran this totally unrelatable, unhelpful, passive automaton the second he passes through the wall?

I might have actually cheered him on to be the new king if there was anything in there worth cheering for. but it's as if the magical spells built into the foundation of the wall blocked his entire humanity from crossing through with him.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #5934
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Facebook:

Quote:
After watching the GOT series finally again last night, I realized what happened. I liked it the first time I watched it, but the second time was even better.

SPOILER ALERT. This is Brynden Rivers aka Bloodraven. He was a Targaryen bastard who was legitimized by his father King Aegon IV, when the king was on his death bed.

Bloodraven served as hand of the king for 2 Targaryen kings, Aerys I and Maekar I. He was a greenseer, meaning he could see the future and past, and he was into magic and sorcery. He helped the king crush the Blackfyre rebellions and lost an eye in single combat with his brother Aegor Rivers, aka Bittersteele.

Aegor was captured and sentenced to take the black, but on the way to the wall, Blackfyre loyalists overtook the ship he was on and sailed him across the narrow sea. Years later, when the king died, Bloodraven sent for Aenys Blackfyre(a relative of Bittersteele) and told him to come state his claim for the throne, he promised him safe passage and safety upon arrival, but when he showed up, Bloodraven executed him.

The new king, Aegon V(Aemon Targaryen's little brother) sentenced Bloodraven to the wall for killing Aenys. Brynden and Aemon went to the wall together after Aemon passed up his claim to the throne. After 6 weeks, Bloodraven took over as lord commander and Aemon became the maester. A short time later, he rode north and never returned.

It was sorcery that kept him alive all those years waiting on Bran. Why Bran? Bran was the perfect vessel for him to be able to accomplish his life long conquest of taking the throne. Bran had the sight, the name, and the warg abilities. We saw the wildling Jon killed warg into the hawk right before he died so he could live and keep attacking. Bran is basically the hawk.

When Bran first made it to the tree beyond the wall, Bloodraven told him he has alot to learn, Bran asks what it is he has to learn, and Bloodraven says "To be Me" Bran also states when he gets back to winterfell "I'm not Brandon Stark anymore" When Bran is asked to be king his response is "Why do you think I came all this way?" He came way further than you realize.

It might not have been the ending you wanted, but the Targaryen's did get the throne back. Bran says to samwell in winterfell "the time is now for you to tell him" He had Sam tell Jon who he is because he knew what would happen. Had he not done this the city wouldn't have burned and Jon wouldn't have killed her. She most likely would have ruled with Jon by her side.

Bran the Brokens last words, "any word of Drogon?" The Targaryen's love their dragons. Now that Bloodraven has learned how to conquer death, they conveniently changed the rules so the new kings wont be offspring but someone chosen by the Lord's and Ladies. All I can say is LONG MAY HE REIGN. (As in for ever)

To the haters who are whinging about this season, the ending, or any episode of this series, you guys are whacked outta your minds, it was a great story from beginning to end and I really can't wait for more.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #5935
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it's good if you apply information that wasn't in the show to the show?
Old 05-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #5936
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

yeah that whole Brynden Rivers backstory is cool, it's part of the lore and immersion into that particular fantasy world...except they stopped providing any of that after the books ran out. all that we got in the actual show is wise old man stuck in tree turns crippled highborn teenager into occasional talking statue.

and I'm sick of how criticizing a film or show these days ends up with you getting called names. like yeah, a lot of the negative stuff is hyperbolic and overly dramatic, but I rarely see people who didn't like it call people who did names, e.g. brainless sheeple. but criticizers are being labeled as haters, whingers, babies, etc. it's just like people who hated The Last Jedi were called misogynists, racists, nerd fanboys. we can argue over whether the entertainment is good or not, but seeing the name calling from either side makes me not want to read any argument no matter how good it is.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #5937
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

As usual I’d say people should watch the Alt Shift X video on the Bloodraven for better context because that Facebook post seems to gloss over a bunch of key details and is very loosely connecting dots that aren’t really there.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-30-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:39 PM   #5938
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2019, 07:13 PM   #5939
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default A Game of Thrones **BOOKS OFF LIMITS** v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I think when all the fan overreactions calm down people will again realize what an amazing series it was. There was no great way to end this, no one wanted it to and everyone was so emotionally invested, it was like losing a friend at the end when the credits rolled.

I agree, and despite the warranted criticism of their writing, D&D pulled off a massive accomplishment on the series as a whole.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:33 PM   #5940
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're allowed to think the series as a whole was an incredible achievement and still be disappointed by parts of it, whether it be the last couple seasons or the last episode.

People (in general) need to stop feeling so offended when not everyone shares their opinion of something, especially something in relation to pop culture.

People need to assume that critics are just whiners or people who loved it are just homer fanboys.

These aren't either/or situations. They're opinions.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post: