Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2018, 05:34 PM   #841
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just bought an outdoor griddle.
Really love this thing.
Not sure how it might work for cooking some things, but will definitely be giving everything a try!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #842
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

I look at that bad boy (the griddle) and all I think about is the breakfast bonanza one could create.

Pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, hash, tomatoes and beans. YES BEANS!!
Old 05-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #843
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One 2 x 6 pancake, coming up!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #844
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
One 2 x 6 pancake, coming up!
Flipped with a snow shovel
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #845
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had a pretty decent day, I should have picked up a couple more and done them at the same time. 10 hours on pecan and apple at 250. Will be lunch on buns with my homemade Kansas city style sauce. Tastes incredible

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #846
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I plan on making roast chicken on the BBQ today but I think I made a huge mistake buying my bird. I found a huge 5kg chicken but now I'm concerned with the size, cooking time and the meat drying out. I probably should have just bought a couple regular sized chickens instead of this monster bird.
Spatchcock it. If you have not already started cooking it, I would brine it first though.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #847
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just learned that you can use pistachio shells in smokers to great effect. Nice!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #848
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I got the go ahead on Father's day to purchase a pellet smoker. I've got it narrowed down to the GMG Daniel Boone Wifi and the Traeger Century 22 at Costco.

Anyone have any experience with either one?

I currently have a broil king keg that I use for everything from jerkey to pork shoulders to steaks, but I'm looking for something good with better long term temp control for those 20 hour smoke sessions.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #849
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I got the go ahead on Father's day to purchase a pellet smoker. I've got it narrowed down to the GMG Daniel Boone Wifi and the Traeger Century 22 at Costco.

Anyone have any experience with either one?

I currently have a broil king keg that I use for everything from jerkey to pork shoulders to steaks, but I'm looking for something good with better long term temp control for those 20 hour smoke sessions.
The wifi control on the GMG is top notch. Its what swayed me from the Traegars. Nothing like taking to your kid to the park and monitoring your meat temps on your phone!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #850
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I got my first pellet grill 2 months ago and went with the GMG. You won't be disappointed. The wifi feature is pretty slick and the unit so far is very reliable and easy.

I've used it probably 20 times so far too.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 AM   #851
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any advice or deals on BBQs right now? I am looking for something that can feed 1-2 people. I also don't have a big deck (condo). Not really sure where to start..

Last edited by keenan87; 06-18-2018 at 08:30 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #852
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Any advice or deals on BBQs right now? I am looking for something that can feed 1-2 people. I also don't have a big deck (condo). Not really sure where to start..
I have this guy: Coleman Revolution Propane BBQ. It's a propane unit, but there's a gas conversion kit available (Canadian Tire item: 08-52261).

My complaint early on was a lack of true 'barbecue' flavor because it's designed to prevent flare-ups (and from flare-ups come flavor). As you use it, it thankfully stops being so effective at stopping flare-ups and you start getting more of that proper flavor back, but I wasn't quite satisfied...

… however, I've found a solution:

This:
Spoiler!

plus this tucked under the grills, bridging the two heat spreaders:

Spoiler!

… has completely transformed what I make on this barbecue. Can't remember the last thing I spent under $30 on that made such a remarkable impact in what it was supposed to accomplish.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #853
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I hear ya man.

I currently use a Broil King Keg 5000 and i've had a similar experience. Great grill for most applications except for what I really wanted - low and slow.

The 5000 is just poorly constructed - leaking air all around the ash tray and the lid seals. I have to use a Tip Top Temp and tape up my ash tray (seal the leaks) to get at least a little control of the temp. Sadly, the temp will climb steadily all the way up to +280F despite the dampeners set as low as possible without flame out.

And there isn't (afaik) a way to install an automatic temp controller without drilling holes into the thing and risking major damage.

I tell everyone looking for an all-in-one smoker to stay the hell away from BKK5000!!

Side bar.....

Why is it so hard to get white oak chunks for smoking? Anyone have a reliable source outside of old barrels?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #854
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

(apologies if duplicate question, but quick search didn't reveal)

Any recommendations on cleaning brush/apparatus to replace the ole fashioned metal bristle cleaning brushes?
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #855
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
(apologies if duplicate question, but quick search didn't reveal)

Any recommendations on cleaning brush/apparatus to replace the ole fashioned metal bristle cleaning brushes?
https://www.amazon.ca/Grill-Hog-Ceda...8YWH7E86NK1MNF
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #856
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
I hear ya man.

I currently use a Broil King Keg 5000 and i've had a similar experience. Great grill for most applications except for what I really wanted - low and slow.

The 5000 is just poorly constructed - leaking air all around the ash tray and the lid seals. I have to use a Tip Top Temp and tape up my ash tray (seal the leaks) to get at least a little control of the temp. Sadly, the temp will climb steadily all the way up to +280F despite the dampeners set as low as possible without flame out.

And there isn't (afaik) a way to install an automatic temp controller without drilling holes into the thing and risking major damage.

I tell everyone looking for an all-in-one smoker to stay the hell away from BKK5000!!

Side bar.....

Why is it so hard to get white oak chunks for smoking? Anyone have a reliable source outside of old barrels?
I would maybe try windsor plywood, and buy a larger piece and break it down.

My Keg is also the BKK5000, I wouldn't go as far to say stay away. I really like it. I did a 19 hour smoke last week and it did an okay job at keeping temp between 200-250 (I use a tip top temp with the top vent wide open and the bottom cracked to the first line). I love that I can fire it up to 800F and cook a pizza, or steak. But the temp control is a bit finicky, and I have had issues with putting out the charcoal when trying to do something like Jerky, I would say there is overlap with a Pellet smoker for sure, But I'm not looking to replace the BKK just compliment it.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #857
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm interested in trying this smoker thing but am storage space limited both indoors and outdoors. I was thinking of an electric or green mountain davy crockett that I could fold up and stash in the garage over winter.

Do the electric smoker boxes on these come off easily? I was thinking I could store the electronic side of things in the garage over winter and leave the metal body long the side of the house over winter (covered). Anyone else do this?
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #858
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I'm interested in trying this smoker thing but am storage space limited both indoors and outdoors. I was thinking of an electric or green mountain davy crockett that I could fold up and stash in the garage over winter.

Do the electric smoker boxes on these come off easily? I was thinking I could store the electronic side of things in the garage over winter and leave the metal body long the side of the house over winter (covered). Anyone else do this?
Depends what you plan on making with it. I use this for steaks, burgers, smokies, etc. with fantastic results. But a rack of ribs or a turkey won't work nearly as well, IMHO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #859
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
I hear ya man.

Side bar.....

Quote:
I would maybe try windsor plywood, and buy a larger piece and break it down.

My Keg is also the BKK5000, I wouldn't go as far to say stay away. I really like it. I did a 19 hour smoke last week and it did an okay job at keeping temp between 200-250 (I use a tip top temp with the top vent wide open and the bottom cracked to the first line). I love that I can fire it up to 800F and cook a pizza, or steak. But the temp control is a bit finicky, and I have had issues with putting out the charcoal when trying to do something like Jerky, I would say there is overlap with a Pellet smoker for sure, But I'm not looking to replace the BKK just compliment it.
I have a Keg as well, and it’s so good! I don’t think mine is the 5000, but truthfully I have no idea. I have cooked a huge variety of things, and done overnight cooks with no issue. I have made jerky as well, and that turned out great. I originally wanted to go with the BGE, but this was substantially cheaper, so I figured I would give it a shot. I have been really happy with it, so I’m surprised to hear complaints.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #860
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I picked up the Daniel Boone on Thursday last week, only one cook so far, but I have to say I'm excited about this grill. My only issue now is that I'm away on vacation for 2 weeks so I won't get to really get into it till I'm back.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Last edited by gasman; 06-27-2018 at 07:26 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber