Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #21
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

SAP lol, the guys that couldn't get a proper boxscore on NHL.com for a few years
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #22
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yep. If the NHL releases all the data, this likely makes corsi, fenwick and a bunch of other stats obsolete.
That is a big leap. Somebody has to take the raw data and develop predictive models. Shot location is still not a proxy for quality, but there will be more data to support how the puck got there, to an extent.

Hopefully by the time they incorporate this technology, my flux capacitor will be out if the shop and we can take it back to 2004.

It was in.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #23
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad this is finally a thing. Hopefully it narrows down screwed up calls like incorrect puck over glass penalties, or clarifies "did it cross the goal line" questions. I suppose it could potentially help with some of those horrible offside goal cancellations too.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #24
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
That is a big leap. Somebody has to take the raw data and develop predictive models. Shot location is still not a proxy for quality, but there will be more data to support how the puck got there, to an extent.
Corsi is a proxy for offensive zone time. If we know exactly how much offensive zone time each team has, seems to me we no longer need the proxy.

It will certainly require new modeling, and there will be lots of new data sets that predictive modeling will need to be done for (e.g. royal road passing, stretch passes, speed of controlled zone entries and exits, speed through the neutral zone, average pass distance, number of passes made before a shot, offensive zone time before a shot, shots per minute of offensive zone time, and a thousand other things you could easily come up with off the top of your head). But it also replaces a lot of information we're currently working with.

You mention shot location as a poor stand-in for shot quality - well, how about if we know not only location, but shot speed, and where on the net it was aimed, and whether it deflected on the way to the net? That's a heck of a lot better.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 03:47 PM   #25
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ All good points, Corsi

One thing about zone time.. once you score, you are done in the zone. Passing around the perimeter racks up the zone time, and that doesn’t necessarily translate to scoring.

So certainly possession / zone time can be measured much more accurately. Not sure what that will translate to, though.

I really like the implications in being able to get better quantification by team, and scoring probabilities for pucks crossing the Royal road (and other truly dangerous items like passes from behind the net to the shooter out front for a one timer)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #26
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

14 years too late tbh
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:28 PM   #27
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Beat me to it. lol

Exactly what came to mind when I read the thread title!
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:33 PM   #28
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... Will we now know if a puck crosses a goal line?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #29
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
So... Will we now know if a puck crosses a goal line?
Depends on how accurate the technology they have chosen to use can track the exact location of the puck.

Given that the NHL is not claiming that this particular technology is going to help in officiating, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Last edited by sureLoss; 05-22-2018 at 05:43 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #30
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
What's the state of sensor technology in terms of its precision to detect goal/no-goal situations?

I'm not convinced that sensors in the goal posts are accurate enough, given the speed at which the puck moves and the mobility of the entire net structure itself.
It depends on what kind of data the pucks will be sending. The data doesn't need to be nearly as accurate for tracking speed and motion as it will for goal-line decisions.

Hopefully, like most technology, it will keep getting better to the point that it can be used for goal judging.

Ideally, it won't need any sensors in the goal itself. If the puck is transmitting information about its position and orientation, the system could be programmed to know where the goals are in 3-D space and if the puck crosses the plane of the goal, the system would know that it was a good goal.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #31
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Ideally, it won't need any sensors in the goal itself. If the puck is transmitting information about its position and orientation, the system could be programmed to know where the goals are in 3-D space and if the puck crosses the plane of the goal, the system would know that it was a good goal.
You would also need a gyrometer.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #32
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice. Now we'll find out that shots going 92.7mph have the greatest accuracy and the Flames will spend half of their time practicing the perfect shot speed.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #33
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

so this is good for stats, does it actually solve puck across the line?

this technology is the help the bookies?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #34
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You would also need a gyrometer.
That's what I meant by knowing its orientation.

Although, even if you didn't know its exact orientation, you could still use it for some goal decisions.

The puck is 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. So, if you know the location of the exact centre of the puck, you would also know that if the centre is more than 1.5" behind the goal line, it must be a goal, regardless of its orientation; and if the centre is less than 0.5" behind the goal line, it can't be a goal, regardless of its orientation. It wouldn't solve every problem situation, but it would get a fair number of them.

Knowing the puck's exact position and exact orientation is the ideal, but even baby steps to get there will help.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #35
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I honestly never thought that glowing Foxtracker thing was anywhere near as bad as it seemed like everyone else did. It doesn't really bother me and if it helps new people watch the sport, I always figured, go nuts.

I understand why people who don't watch hockey have trouble following the puck - if you watch a lot you instinctively know where it is from the camera position and from knowing what play makes sense, so you know where it's likely to go before it goes there. If you don't, well, there are a lot of plays where it's hidden by the boards, or could be masked by being on someone's stick.

Obviously HD has helped this a lot but I still hear this complaint from people, especially Americans, who don't follow hockey.
It’s like any sport you don’t understand. It’s confusing at first until you take some time. For us maybe sports like Aussie Rules Football, Cricket, or the ever popular Finnish Baseball are ones we look at and are utterly lost at first.

The issue many who grew up or understood hockey had with the Fox puck was you don’t need to watch exactly where the puck is at all times. Looking for the backdoor pass, or the Dman moving to the open lane is something we all probably do. The glow and the red line were harder to ignore and made it tougher to see the plays happening around the puck.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #36
Singularity
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Advance stats be like pucks/60
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:54 PM   #37
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty jacked we're headed for this, but I really hope that a tolerance is built in.

Offsides are the best example, as it's silly how a fraction of a second is considered an unfair advantage. Adding in a (random number incoming) 0.5s tolerance one way or another would make it a much more fluid game.

Right now, seeing a goal called back because 37 seconds ago a winger gained a .14s advantage entering the zone is downright silly. If it doesn't affect the play, leave it. Most of these goals that are being called back rarely demonstrate an advantage gained from the offside.

Hopefully it's adjusted so the calls are logical vs. microsecond accurate.

Now the goal-line is different. There's a definite advantage gained if a goal is called back when the puck crossed the line. That will be amazing to have an accurate and unquestionable signal. Goalies covering the puck and the light went on? Guess where the puck is bud. Puck crosses the line just barely? Sorry Khabibulin.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I'm pretty jacked we're headed for this, but I really hope that a tolerance is built in.

Offsides are the best example, as it's silly how a fraction of a second is considered an unfair advantage. Adding in a (random number incoming) 0.5s tolerance one way or another would make it a much more fluid game.

Right now, seeing a goal called back because 37 seconds ago a winger gained a .14s advantage entering the zone is downright silly. If it doesn't affect the play, leave it. Most of these goals that are being called back rarely demonstrate an advantage gained from the offside.

Now the goal-line is different. There's a definite advantage gained if a goal is called back when the puck crossed the line. That will be amazing to have an accurate and unquestionable signal. Goalies covering the puck and the light went on? Guess where the puck is bud. Puck crosses the line just barely? Sorry Khabibulin.
I don't think this tech is going to be used for either of those things. It's going to be for analytics.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #39
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

Microsecond accurate wouldn't be a problem so long as the call is near-instantaneous.

It is the offside being called 30 seconds later after a goal that pisses everyone off.

If you are 0.12s offside and it is called immediately, no one would have a problem with it.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #40
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Offside involves tracking the position of the skater at the moment the puck crosses the line, puck tracking technology does not really help that at all.