Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:
Icon59 Trade after trade after trade

The Edmonton Oilers have been running the phones, and made 3 rather big deals. We think we are in a position to win the cup this season with the massive rerates we will have, but with that comes too much money needing to be spent to keep all these guys. Our goal was to shed cap while still maintaining a good team going into next season and beyond. We started off with Stepan for Haula a tiny bit ago, but we have 3 more deals to break

Deal number one
To Edmonton: Mikael Granlund, Ryan Spooner, Christian Fischer, 2019 2nd, 2019 3rd
To Phoenix: John Tavares, Justin Abdelkader, Matt Calvert

Probably the toughest deal I've had to make as a GM. Tavares is a star who I really really like, but with guys like Couturier, Karlsson and Haula down the middle, and a bunch of guys needing raises, he was a guy who could go in the right deal. I had good talks with another GM but Flambers was very patient and good to negotiate to get this done. Abdelkader and Calvert are good 3rd liners, but I needed to clear some more cap and I think they fit well with the Yotes. Granlund has roughly 70 points in the last two years and he can play all 3 forward positions. I'm a big fan of him and think he will slot in nicely as our 1st or 2nd line right wing next year. Spooner was a guy I traded to the Yotes last year in a deal involving Eberle, but I've brought him back along with his cheap contract, versatility and 40 points in 60 games. Fischer is looking real nice, 0.75 for 3 years will be what he is signed to which is very good as a 3rd/4th liner for me for next year. 2nd and 3rd aren't too shabby. This trade is one I'm gonna follow, I think both teams benefit from it. Thanks to Flambers for the deal!

Deal number two

To Edmonton: 2018 top 28 pick, Filip Chlapik, Sammy Blais, 2019 4th
To Washington: Jared Spurgeon

Spurgeon is a really really good player IMO, and is a number two on a good team, but with guys like Klingberg and Parayko (needing a raise), someone had to go, and Spurgeon was the one due to age. He will really help the Caps in a playoff push this season. A late 1st in a great draft is something I'm not against at all, Chlapik and Blais look like great prospects, and a 4th is just a sweetener. Thanks to Ashasx for the deal!

Deal number three

To Edmonton: Philipp Grubauer
To New York (Rangers): Mike Condon, Andrew Peeke, 2019 3rd

My team looks great for next season except for goaltending. So I needed to upgrade that. Grubauer is, in my opinion, a guy who will be a starter in the NHL he's just behind an elite goalie in Washington. He had good backup stats. I'm still a little weak there, but with him, Lehner, Forsberg and Georgiev we have lots of potential and depth. Condon is a decent goalie who had a terrible season but I think he can bounce back. Peeke is a solid under the radar prospect who has potential to be a top 4 guy. A 3rd is never bad to have. I think getting youth will help the rebuilding Rangers. Thanks to Devo for the deal!

Last edited by savardandjokinen; 05-15-2018 at 07:18 PM.
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post: