Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Third Line Woes

https://www.calgarypuck.com/2017/09/...ird-line-woes/

As always comments always welcomed
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think Tkachuk-Bennett makes tons of sense personally. I feel like Bennett needs either Gaudreau or Tkachuk on his wing to maximize his potential. Backlund and Frolik excel with anybody and maybe should be used to break Jankowski in
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Vertseeg - Bennett - Brouwer is my worst nightmare to start the season so good write up.

Gaudreau - Bennett and Tkachuk - Monahan I believe would work better together though. With an even top 9 and our top 4 Flames would be really hard to match up against.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

nm
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great article. The fear of Brouwer dragging down Bennett for another year is real and I would rather start the year with Brouwer having to work his way back up the lineup than with Bennett (ie. Fourth line).

Where I'm torn, and where I hope Gulutzen is bold enough to experiment, is to graduate Tkachuk from being the third wheel with Backlund and Frolik to being paired with Bennett. It creates balance, opens up a slot on that second line for someone else to learn the ropes (I have Lazar's defense in mind) and allows Tkachuk and Bennett to take their next steps.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Lazar - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg
Stajan - Jankowski - Brouwer
Hathaway - Hamilton
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Clever_Iggy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Charsiu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I think Tkachuk-Bennett makes tons of sense personally. I feel like Bennett needs either Gaudreau or Tkachuk on his wing to maximize his potential. Backlund and Frolik excel with anybody and maybe should be used to break Jankowski in
Assuming Bennett plays with Tkachuk and Jankowski is given development time with Backlund and Frolik, do we relegate Brouwer to the 4th line without giving him an opportunity to showcase the supposed ground he's recovered in the offseason?

Obviously allowing Bennett and Jankowksi's careers to flourish is the preferred route but if there any other way to do so which doesn't cause Brouwer's career to wither and atrophy?
Charsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #7
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That 3rd line is key to a stronger Flames team, but I am willing to give the Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer combo a chance. Versteeg and Bennett were good together in the playoffs. Brouwer, is um, hopefully better. Slotted in a 3rd line roll and expectations reduced may help.

I also think that GG will have a better feel for this team and they should be better situated to mix and match lines on the fly. I worry about breaking up the 3M line, as I think Tkachuk is actually key to their offensive production. Having said that, if Janko looks good and they want to put him on the wing, a Tkachuk-Bennett pair might be awesome. Mix in Lazar and perhaps Hathaway, and there are plenty of options that the team didn't have last year.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Good Article Bingo, I agree that we need top spread out our (C)ore players a bit more so that the third line doesn't struggle. Although the thought of Brouwer playing second line minutes isn't sitting well with me. How about something like...

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland (continue with chemistry the line had late last season)
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik (rookies seem to do well playing with Backs/Frolik)
Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg (Bennett finally has good line mates)
Lazar - Stajan - Brouwer
Hathaway - Hamilton
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

From your article:

C + C + D
C + C + S
S + S + D

I think it is reasonable to expect that Bennett converts himself from an "S" to a "C" all on his own, which itself will provide an immense boost to the overall team depth.

While the preseason returns should be taken with a grain of salt, Bennett has looked great. He looks like a driver with NHL strength which are two things he has been lacking the past two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really not a fan of having Brouwer with Bennett and Versteeg. Much rather have Brouwer with Backlund and Frolik or on the 4th line.

I really think Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland would be a really fun line but Versteeg instead of Ferland is also an option I would like the Flames to explore
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charsiu View Post
Assuming Bennett plays with Tkachuk and Jankowski is given development time with Backlund and Frolik, do we relegate Brouwer to the 4th line without giving him an opportunity to showcase the supposed ground he's recovered in the offseason?

Obviously allowing Bennett and Jankowksi's careers to flourish is the preferred route but if there any other way to do so which doesn't cause Brouwer's career to wither and atrophy?
I was thinking Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer could be a very hard line to play against. All 3 guys can play that greasy, gritty style. Lots of board play, lots of crashing the net but enough skill to pass and finish.

Of course then you struggle to fit Versteeg and Janko in since only one of them can play with Backlund-Frolik

If the Flames want Janko at centre I'd go with

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Versteeg
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Stajan-Jankowski-Hathaway/Lazar

I think that's one of the most balanced lineups we could ice. Jankowski moves up as soon as the first inevitable injury hits.

Had some Charsiu today in my Shiki Menya ramen and it was glorious
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

There are two good third line right-wing options out there.

Jagr, as mentioned, may have been approached but isn't happening for whatever reason.

Bennett, the 25-year-old right-shooting right-winger is on waivers. Certainly a better option than anything the Flames have right now, but they have huge roster crowding issues so probably won't happen either.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
There are two good third line right-wing options out there.

Jagr, as mentioned, may have been approached but isn't happening for whatever reason.

Bennett, the 25-year-old right-shooting right-winger is on waivers. Certainly a better option than anything the Flames have right now, but they have huge roster crowding issues so probably won't happen either.
I do not agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I do not agree.
I'd guess even if they did put in a waiver claim one of the 16 teams below them in last year's standings would as well.

And if that's the case we may never hear that they did put in a waiver claim.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
bucksmasher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think if you put Bennett with another C........he will become a C. And then we don't need a Duchene etc.
bucksmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #16
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

People seem to forget that at the beginning of the season the 3rd line was Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer and it was actually our most productive line in the first month plus.

Might be worth trying it to start again.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #17
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
People seem to forget that at the beginning of the season the 3rd line was Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer and it was actually our most productive line in the first month plus.

Might be worth trying it to start again.
Agreed and I said that.

If Brouwer is back to his career averages then you have three lines without mucking with the first two at all.

I just keep coming back to the Patrick Sharp attempt though. The Flames attempted to change things back on July 1st but then either had other ideas blocked or just gave up.

Either way it spoke to intent in changing things up.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #18
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Either way it spoke to intent in changing things up.
It may have also indicate intent to not mess things up for the top 6 though.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #19
slybomb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Tkachuk-Monahan-Versteeg
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Glass-Stajan-Brouwer

I like the chemistry that Bennett has with Gaudreau and if you put Versteeg with Tkachuk and Monahan, they will have a guy that can distribute the puck. As for the 3rd line, it would be our shutdown line that can work the possession game and pot a few goals, they are all smart hockey players.
slybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slybomb For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #20
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Altering Bennett from a “S” to a “C” could change the Flaming “C” into “C”ontenders.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post: