Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #301
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Victoria Royals eliminate Vancouver giants by a score of 4-3 in Game 7.

Phillips had 2g+1a

In the 7 game series had 6g + 10a

Royals will face the Americans in the 2nd round so we will see some Phillips vs Valimaki action.

Also the Chiefs were eliminated so expect to see Fischer going pro.

Gonna go to one of the games in Victoria, pretty stoked to watch Valimaki as I've yet to see him play live.

Phillips had another terrific game, really put the Royals on his back. Made a diving block in the last seconds of regulation. Will be interested to see how Phillips plays against two highly drafted Dmen.

Last edited by Beninho; 04-03-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #302
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really like his game. Great hockey sense, and isn't afraid to be in deep when there is a need. Seems a bit stronger than Johnny is. Impressed by his game, hope it translates well to the pros. Perhaps he could be a Brayden Point type, or more? I really hope, my expectations are high for him. He seems to elevate his game when necessary.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:12 PM   #303
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phillips vs Valimaki.

Hoping for a good showing from both but with Phillips coming out ahead. Go Royals.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #304
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goin to game 1 tonight, may be the only game I can make . Excited to watch Valimaki live for the first time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #305
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at the Kitchener vs Sarnia game tonight for game 1 of their series.
Kitchener dominated the game for the most part, winning 4-2.
I focused a lot on Adam Ruzicka and he was basically a no show. Kyrou certainly is the dominant player on that line but for the most part they were impotent all night. Best player for the Sting was Jonathon Ang by a long shot.
Ruzicka had one scoring chance from in tight but the rest of the night he was pretty much a player on the peripheral. His job it appears is to either get to the front of the net for screens or deflections, or to the RW slot for one timers. He did neither very well and a fast team like the Rangers were simply too much for him to deal with. I was disappointed, expected to see some flash but it was all crash.
Going to game 2 on Sunday, hope to see better, although I pull for the Rangers.

The Rangers could go to the Mem cup, very tough team to play against.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #306
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Goin to game 1 tonight, may be the only game I can make . Excited to watch Valimaki live for the first time.
I was at the royal game last night. What a blow out. Victoria looked over matched. Phillips had some moments, but both our prospects were pretty quiet.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 03:57 AM   #307
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I was at the royal game last night. What a blow out. Victoria looked over matched. Phillips had some moments, but both our prospects were pretty quiet.
I actually went to the game tonight instead of Friday’s, Valimaki had an assist and made a lot of nice rushes throughout the game, also skates like the wind when he’s backchecking. Pretty much made simple nice plays all night and he was a lot bigger than I expected. Seems to have a very well rounded game.

Tri-City could go pretty far this year

Last edited by Beninho; 04-08-2018 at 04:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #308
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was at Game 2 of the Kitchener/Sarnia series last night.
This game was much more even than Game 1 and Sarnia came out on top 3-2 in OT, although play was still tilted towards Kitcheners side.
Ruzicka was again invisible. Im just not seeing anything in this kid except for size. He simply plays the periphery, does not use his size to advantage and on many occasions was easily removed of the puck by players much smaller than he. Once again he had one scoring chance that I remember and it was insignificant. The only other time he was noticeable was on a PP where he had a decent shift cycling the puck with Kyrou. He just seems to float, much like we have heard most of the year and pre-draft, very strange and disappointing. I wouldnt count on him being a Flame in the future unless something lights a fire under his ass.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:33 PM   #309
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Was at Game 2 of the Kitchener/Sarnia series last night.
This game was much more even than Game 1 and Sarnia came out on top 3-2 in OT, although play was still tilted towards Kitcheners side.
Ruzicka was again invisible. Im just not seeing anything in this kid except for size. He simply plays the periphery, does not use his size to advantage and on many occasions was easily removed of the puck by players much smaller than he. Once again he had one scoring chance that I remember and it was insignificant. The only other time he was noticeable was on a PP where he had a decent shift cycling the puck with Kyrou. He just seems to float, much like we have heard most of the year and pre-draft, very strange and disappointing. I wouldnt count on him being a Flame in the future unless something lights a fire under his ass.
That seems to be the book on him, but like you said, if a coach finds a way to motivate him, then it gets really interesting. That size + that skill is incredibly valuable. I look at him as a long-term piece that will either put it together or won't, but we won't know for a few years at least. There is at least hope with him, right?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 12:56 AM   #310
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
That seems to be the book on him, but like you said, if a coach finds a way to motivate him, then it gets really interesting. That size + that skill is incredibly valuable. I look at him as a long-term piece that will either put it together or won't, but we won't know for a few years at least. There is at least hope with him, right?
Maybe. But it’s a discouraging sign that he disappears when the going gets tough in the playoffs. He may just not have the compete level to become an NHLer. I can’t say with any authority cause I haven’t watched him but if these reports on him are true it’s a really bad sign for his career IMO
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #311
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s the guys draft +1 year and we are already saying his career is in jeporady?? Sure it would be nice to see him performing at the same clip he did in the reg season but the Guy statistically improved in every area this season - 21/25/46 became 36/36/72 and he went from being a -15 to a +21.

Jankowski took 5 years to develop into what we got from him this year and he was a 1st rounder; Ruzicka still has a long road and is a 4th rounder so he’s a long shot at best already but to say his career is in jeporady because of a weak playoff showing is a little far at this time. If this was his draft +2 year maybe I could see that line of thinking but so far he seems to have taken the appropriate strides in his development.

Last edited by Heavy Jack; 04-11-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2018, 09:12 AM   #312
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game 3 of Kitchener/Sarnia was last night in Sarnia. Sarnia seems to have found a way to stifle Kitcheners quick breakouts and took Game 3 - 4-1.
Listening to the radio it really didnt seem like Ruzicka had many solid chances. The broadcasters mentioned both he and Kyrou had not played any role in their victories and team execs were concerned. Could be that the Rangers are playing them hard, but thats 3 games now without a point. The Sting are 1-35 I think on the PP so far in the playoffs with both Kyrou and Ruzicka on their #1 PP.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:53 PM   #313
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki scratched the last two games for Tri-City. Americans about to make quick work of the royals, up 3-1 after the first

Last edited by Beninho; 04-11-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #314
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tri-City completes the sweep.

Is there any word as to what happened with Valimaki?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:02 AM   #315
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Tri-City completes the sweep.

Is there any word as to what happened with Valimaki?
I didn’t notice anything in game 2 but I left with 10-15 minutes to go into the 3rd. Tri-City was easily handiling victoria so hopefully it’s just something minor. I think Tri-City could make a big run so it would be cool to see Valimaki play a big part in that.

With Victoria’s season over I expect Phillips go to Stockton. I’m guessing this was his last game with Victoria, so he will leave his junior career with 281 pts in 213 career regular season games and 29 pts in 29 post season games. He’s been a treat to watch his entire time here in Victoria and by far the best player to play for the Royals. He was worth the price of admission to every game I went to! He seems like a great kid and a Calgary boy as well. I will be cheering for him big time to make the Flames, can’t teach skill and he’s got it in spades.

Last edited by Beninho; 04-12-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #316
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the official word on Valimaki is that he's "banged up" and was game day decision for Game 4: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/vali...ia/c-297919940

I assume that means he would have played if they weren't in command of the series and poised to sweep.

The next round likely won't start until next Thursday or Friday, so that should give him plenty of time to recover.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #317
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t notice anything in game 2 but I left with 10-15 minutes to go into the 3rd. Tri-City was easily handiling victoria so hopefully it’s just something minor. I think Tri-City could make a big run so it would be cool to see Valimaki play a big part in that.

With Victoria’s season over I expect Phillips go to Stockton. I’m guessing this was his last game with Victoria, so he will leave his junior career with 281 pts in 213 career regular season games and 29 pts in 29 post season games. He’s been a treat to watch his entire time here in Victoria and by far the best player to play for the Royals. He was worth the price of admission to every game I went to! He seems like a great kid and a Calgary boy as well. I will be cheering for him big time to make the Flames, can’t teach skill and he’s got it in spades.
Beninho - Can you expand a bit on what Phillips is good at and the things he needs to work on? You seem really high on his skillset and tbh he's been borderline invisible in the handful of times I've seen him.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 11:22 AM   #318
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Beninho - Can you expand a bit on what Phillips is good at and the things he needs to work on? You seem really high on his skillset and tbh he's been borderline invisible in the handful of times I've seen him.
Well I can’t comment on the games you’ve seen him in, this season I felt he had a big development year. Seemed a lot stronger on the puck and faster in my viewings (went to around 15 games this year). Phillips has a certain dynamic element about him that got fans off their seats in pretty much every game I went to. He has a really quick shot and super soft hands around the net. His puck handling is not quite Johnny level but is still quite good and his hockey sense in the offensive zone seems to be high. He was used on the PK all year and does not play just in the offensive zone but he works hard in all 3 zones.

Obviously none of this matters until he proves he can do it playing vs men but I have a high confidence he will make the NHL at some point. He outplayed many higher end prospects throughout the last 2-3 seasons.

Last edited by Beninho; 04-12-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #319
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well I can’t comment on the games you’ve seen him in, this season I felt he had a big development year. Seemed a lot stronger on the puck and faster in my viewings (went to around 15 games this year). Phillips has a certain dynamic element about him that got fans off their seats in pretty much every game I went to. He has a really quick shot and super soft hands around the net. His puck handling is not quite Johnny level but is still quite good and his hockey sense in the offensive zone seems to be high. He was used on the PK all year and does not play just in the offensive zone but he works hard in all 3 zones.

Obviously none of this matters until he proves he can do it playing vs men but I have a high confidence he will make the NHL at some point. He outplayed many higher end prospects throughout the last 2-3 seasons.
Thanks - appreciate the input from someone who actually sees the kid play regularly.

I could see a trajectory similar to Brendan Leipsic, where he takes a bit longer to reach the NHL but fairly quickly figures out how to rack up the points in the A.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #320
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Thanks - appreciate the input from someone who actually sees the kid play regularly.

I could see a trajectory similar to Brendan Leipsic, where he takes a bit longer to reach the NHL but fairly quickly figures out how to rack up the points in the A.
Possibly, the first step will be for him to show he can play vs pros. Next season will be a big test and will give the Flames a good indication on how far away he is.