Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 02:08 PM   #12981
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I think Treliving has always viewed the Flames' window around Gio. The team is really built to contend around him IMO. That's the urgency - how long can Gio keep his level high?
I see it as a 4 year window (as the goal). Which also coincides with Johnny’s contract. And with Treliving & Peters shelf life if they don’t win.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #12982
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Stone being traded this off seasons makes the most sense. It opens up a spot on the bottom pair right side for our arguably most NHL ready D prospect Rasmus Andersson.

Next year if at least one of Kulak, Valimaki or Kylington prove capable of taking a top 4 role in the NHL then you look to move Brodie IMO.

Giordano - Hamilton
TJ Brodie - Hamonic
_______ - Andersson

Kulak, Valimaki and Kylington battle it out for the open spot and you either sign another "Bartkowski" type veteran 7th Dman who is cheap and can mostly eat popcorn or you rotate the young guys around based on performance.

I would however be OK with a Brodie trade sooner if you got a nice return of a top 6 forward or 1st round pick plus, but then replaced him via free agency. Ian Cole, Calvin De Haan or Thomas Hickey would all be decent fits IMO.
I just don't think Stone will return much. I'd be happy with a 3rd or 4th round pick but not sure that is worth it really.

I could actually see a situation where the Flames move one of Hamilton or Brodie (depending on the best return) and then sign a left shot defencemen as a UFA as an insurance policy in case Valimaki and Kylington aren't ready and to give them some more time.

A guy like Thomas Hickey (Calgary boy) might make sense on a 2 or 3 year deal and play as the 2nd pairing defencemen with top 4 minutes. I know some here are very much against signing veteran defencemen to "clog up" spots, but I'd be very wary of having anyone of Kulak, Valimiaki or Kylington playing top 4 minutes on the left side next season. I don't think Kulak is ever going to be a top 4 guy, but he's an ideal 3rd pairing guy; you can't expect him to replace Brodie's minutes. Valimaki and Kylington project as top 4 guys but they probably need more seasoning.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #12983
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Brodie is expendable. Brodie made Brodie expendable last season.
And who exactly is going to replace his 20+ minutes? He’s still a serviceable defenseman.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:17 PM   #12984
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Who will be the #1 d on their cup team?
Since the draft last year I have come to view Valimaki is the natural replacement for Giordano over the course of the next three years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 05-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #12985
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I just don't think Stone will return much. I'd be happy with a 3rd or 4th round pick but not sure that is worth it really.

I could actually see a situation where the Flames move one of Hamilton or Brodie (depending on the best return) and then sign a left shot defencemen as a UFA as an insurance policy in case Valimaki and Kylington aren't ready and to give them some more time.

A guy like Thomas Hickey (Calgary boy) might make sense on a 2 or 3 year deal and play as the 2nd pairing defencemen with top 4 minutes. I know some here are very much against signing veteran defencemen to "clog up" spots, but I'd be very wary of having anyone of Kulak, Valimiaki or Kylington playing top 4 minutes on the left side next season. I don't think Kulak is ever going to be a top 4 guy, but he's an ideal 3rd pairing guy; you can't expect him to replace Brodie's minutes. Valimaki and Kylington project as top 4 guys but they probably need more seasoning.
I don't think Stone will return much either, but it's not really a trade to get the return but more so to open up a spot for Andersson.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #12986
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I don't think Stone will return much either, but it's not really a trade to get the return but more so to open up a spot for Andersson.
Exactly. In this case it's not about the return. It's about opening a spot for andersson & freeing up some cap space. Take the late 2nd or 3rd round pick and move on.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:27 PM   #12987
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Since the draft last year I have come to view Valimaki is the natural replacement for Giordano over the course of the next three years.
Were that to happen, it’s a huge step towards the Flames becoming a contender.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #12988
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Giordano - Hamilton
Andersson - Hamonic
Brodie - Stone

If Brodie being on the ice is too much of a problem cut his ice time and put him on the 3rd pairing with Stone.

Pull the ol' Chicago Blackhawks/Brent Seabrook. If no teams are willing to take him then just give his spot to players beneath him that have earned it. No sense in keeping him if...
a. He's creating a logjam for players beneath him
b. His salary cap could be used to benifiet the roster elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #12989
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
And who exactly is going to replace his 20+ minutes? He’s still a serviceable defenseman.
What good is a guy playing 20+ minutes if he is hurting the team much more than helping?
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #12990
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Moving out Brodie and stone, making room for Anderson and signing hickey, IMO would be an excellent move. Having met hickey a few times he’s s great person and a pretty steady defenseman, also played with hammer in New York. He’s on the smaller size but is kinda a Ryan Ellis type player with great leadership and could be used well in an up tempo transition system.

Plus we could recoup pick for stone and maybe get a guy like domi for Brodie and improve the team on the rw.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:41 PM   #12991
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
What good is a guy playing 20+ minutes if he is hurting the team much more than helping?
Brodie at 20mins or Andersson/Valimaki/Kylington at 20mins.

Who would hurt the team more?

Edit.
No idea what led to Brodie's regression the last few seasons. Watching AC's highlights, he is by far the most dynamic player we have after Gaudreau. There would be an absolute huge void if we traded him.

Last edited by yourbestfriend; 05-27-2018 at 11:45 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 11:46 PM   #12992
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Andersson and Kylington have been in the system for three years now. If they can't handle some live bullets at this point, they're nothing but hype.

It's worth mentioning that no team has won a Stanley Cup in the modern era with three 30 point defensemen. The Flames have three - Brodie is the least best of those three. Trade TJ Brodie, because you don't win championships with your defense constructed the way ours is.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #12993
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Andersson and Kylington have been in the system for three years now. If they can't handle some live bullets at this point, they're nothing but hype.

It's worth mentioning that no team has won a Stanley Cup in the modern era with three 30 point defensemen. The Flames have three - Brodie is the least best of those three. Trade TJ Brodie, because you don't win championships with your defense constructed the way ours is.

When the Hawks won the SC in 2010 they had 4 d-men with 30 or more points.

Edit: Actually it was only 3, as Buff was a forward that year (hockey reference has him as a d-man).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by The Cobra; 05-28-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:14 AM   #12994
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brodie and Hamonic are not a good pairing. They don't have chemistry. I think Brodie will have a bounce-back season with Stone or almost anyone else not named Hamonic. It would be nice for Hamonic to find chemistry with someone else as well.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:37 AM   #12995
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
That isn't reality.

Most defensemen take longer than 3 years to develop. A young developing defenseman isn't all hype if he's unable to handle 20 minutes 3 years after being drafted. The majority can't and don't. There's no way Kylington is ready to be a top 4 dman. I suspect Andersson is not ready for that role either. Doesn't mean they are crap prospects.

Valimaki is the most likely of the bunch to be a top 3 defenseman. He'll probably see NHL time next year. But this idea that our young dmen are ready for top 4 time right now and have to be handed it is a little premature IMO. Probably far, far more likely that Kulak could play top 4 reasonably than either Andersson or Kylington. It's one of the toughest positions to play in the league. I'm pretty confident Brad Treliving is not going to be handing top 4 roles to raw rookies who've barely played in the league. And if he does do it, it's most likely to be Valimaki that is the exceptional one who plays early. But I highly doubt Valimaki is ready right away either.

Can we trade a top 4 dman? Yes because we have guys like Kulak and Stone who can probably play there. If guys like Andersson or Valimaki are breaking in next year its likely to be on the 3rd pairing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 07:36 AM   #12996
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Brodie and Hamonic are not a good pairing. They don't have chemistry. I think Brodie will have a bounce-back season with Stone or almost anyone else not named Hamonic. It would be nice for Hamonic to find chemistry with someone else as well.
I think it is moot as one of our top 4 is going to be moved, but I wouldn't mind trialing Giordano with Hamonic and Brodie with Hamilton. Alternatively I would like to see Brodie moved back with Giordano and Hamilton/Hamonic take the right side on the other two pairs.

I agree the Brodie didn't work with Hamonic. Seeing how the D is paired (if they are all here) will be one of the more interesting story lines in camp.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:41 AM   #12997
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As per Sureloss in the Draft thread, "Conroy on 960 says it is probably 60/40 they acquire more picks for the draft."

I'm curious if the team is trying to get back into the first round, or just looking to recoup a few picks in general.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #12998
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
As per Sureloss in the Draft thread, "Conroy on 960 says it is probably 60/40 they acquire more picks for the draft."

I'm curious if the team is trying to get back into the first round, or just looking to recoup a few picks in general.
Like others, this is the least excited I’ve been about a draft in years. Probably due to our lack of picks but maybe our track record has something to do with it.

All well and good to go and get later round picks, but how many of those turn out? That and we tend to stockpile on bottom six F with a serious lack of potential top 6 F in our pool. Granted we have a young top 6 forward group but very little in the pipeline to get excited about.

Unless we are able to get into the top 40, really can’t get too excited about the possibility of getting more picks. All well and good if we can convert some prospects that have hit the end of the line with our organization into later round picks but unless we can get into that top 40, hard to get excited about this draft.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #12999
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Like others, this is the least excited I’ve been about a draft in years. Probably due to our lack of picks but maybe our track record has something to do with it.
Certainly understand a lack of excitement when down picks, but the Flames have had one of the better draft records in the last three seasons.

Their track record 15-17 is spot on, in my mind.

15- move picks for Hamilton and still mine Andersson, Kylington and Mangiapane
16- Tkachuk no brainer, but add Parsons, Dube, Fox and Phillips
17- Valimaki looking like a mover, and Ruzicka and Joly have had good seasons
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 08:26 AM   #13000
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm excited for the draft because you know that's where a trade is going to happen for the Flames.

On the off chance it doesn't, still a fun weekend even if its just watching all the activity from other teams.
Closed Thread