Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #41
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Registered with the code just for the hellavit since its free, depsite owning a car. I've seen a few of these around town and it seems like a good idea espescially for those who don't have cars and need one in a pinch; rates seem a bit high compared to traditional rentals, but I guess you save not paying for gas and having to go to a rental agency.
The key is that the insurance costs are included. Not much value for those who already pay for their own insurance.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #42
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
http://www.car2go.com/calgary/en/concept/

Its a car service that you can rent a car, and drop it anywhere on the street in the home zone. You use an app to find the one parked closest to one when you need a car. Pretty neat, and could be pretty convenient if it takes off here.

Rates:

Per minute$0.35 plus taxPer hour maximum$12.99 plus taxPer day maximum$65.99 plus taxPer km after 200 km per rental45 cents, plus tax
Haha I saw one of these finally, but it was parked in a permit only zone.. I wasn't impressed!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #43
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Haha I saw one of these finally, but it was parked in a permit only zone.. I wasn't impressed!
You are allowed to park it in a permit only zone too.

I'm definitely going to use it as a personal cab service, at least for a trip from Sunnyside to somewhere else in the core area (like 17th avenue).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #44
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
You are allowed to park it in a permit only zone too.

I'm definitely going to use it as a personal cab service, at least for a trip from Sunnyside to somewhere else in the core area (like 17th avenue).
You have to be kidding me.. ff sakes!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #45
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
You have to be kidding me.. ff sakes!
What am I missing? Are you a cabbie or something?
Old 07-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #46
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ No, my parking spot is being compromised I may be a little edgy after stampede as well
Old 07-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #47
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Would be nice if they had vehicles where a car set could be installed.

Also, how long before every single car in the fleet has been "christened"?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #48
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not knowledgeable on these urban concepts but this seems like something that will fail in Calgary.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #49
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Me too. If they had slightly larger cars, I think we could give up our second car.

Great idea overall, just not sure how much of a success it'll be here in Calgary.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #50
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post

Also, how long before every single car in the fleet has been "christened"?
1 down so far
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #51
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a mistep that they are offering only Smart cars. Having used this type of service before, it was almost always when I needed room. Wether it was to move a table, go to home depot, take a day trip out of the city or for a wedding, I always needed to carry something or be able to fit in a a few people.

They should be offering things like trucks, vans, hatchbacks....this is what inner city people need to transport. Smart cars are honestly pretty useless. Plus they might be the worst car to actually drive since the Yugo.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #52
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea. Although I probably would not use it often, if ever, I signed up just for the free promo. Now, I fear 200 extra smart cars on Calgary streets during the winter.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #53
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I think it's a mistep that they are offering only Smart cars. Having used this type of service before, it was almost always when I needed room. Wether it was to move a table, go to home depot, take a day trip out of the city or for a wedding, I always needed to carry something or be able to fit in a a few people.

They should be offering things like trucks, vans, hatchbacks....this is what inner city people need to transport. Smart cars are honestly pretty useless. Plus they might be the worst car to actually drive since the Yugo.
So you're saying instead of being a marketing tool for the smart car (why this service exists), they should try and become Uhaul instead?

Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #54
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
So you're saying instead of being a marketing tool for the smart car (why this service exists), they should try and become Uhaul instead?
Yeah, because hatchbacks and minivans are what Uhaul is all about.

I've used a car sharing service for the last 5 years, so have an idea of why you use them. People need these cars in special circumstances....going to Ikea, moving some furniture, going out of the city for a day trip with friends. A good 90% of the time I used a car share, a Smartcar would've been useless.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #55
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yeah, because hatchbacks and minivans are what Uhaul is all about.

I've used a car sharing service for the last 5 years, so have an idea of why you use them. People need these cars in special circumstances....going to Ikea, moving some furniture, going out of the city for a day trip with friends. A good 90% of the time I used a car share, a Smartcar would've been useless.
I know what you're getting at, but you're missing the crux. Carshare, Uhaul, Budget, Hertz, etc, all already exist for this purpose; Car2Go exists as a quick commuter trip in a Smart Car (again, its run by Daimler to promote the Smartcar). Unless they decide to try and promote the Mercedes Sprinter cargo van, you're not going to Ikea; use one of the numerous existing options that Car2Go isn't trying to compete with now.

Its like complaining about not being able to get Pizza at a fancy French restaurant, when the restaurant exists solely to sell French food, and there are 3 pizza joints around the corner that you could have gone to.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #56
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that car2go works in Calgary because it really is like a slightly cheaper taxi, something we are short on.

Obviously not good after a night of drinking, but still has its uses.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #57
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you need to pick up furniture, or anything too big for a car, you can rent a Uhaul for an hour or 2 for about $20 I believe. Home Depot also rents them by the hour. I think Uhaul has a $19.95/day rate anyway if it's just local. $7 more and hour and no need to guess if it'll fit in the car!
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #58
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm perfectly aware of what Car2Go is for....I just think it's a subpar service with it being a Smart car. At the very least I wish it had room for more than 2 people (ie, a B-class). It's an interesting way for Daimler to market a terrible hunk of crap that nobody is buying anymore, but I still think it's limited for a lot of people. Can you tell I hate "Smart" cars?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #59
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should be a fleet of Porsche Caymans. Then we'd be talking.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #60
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Equally impractical, and harder to park! Gotta give that to the Smart, it must be awesome for city parking.