Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #161
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I get that, but housing has gone up 3x in the same time frame.
But has rent? $550 was a pretty average price for a two bedroom place in 1990. That's $950 in today's dollars. Looking at the places you can get for $950 in Calgary today, they seem pretty comparable to the places I was renting back then. Maybe a little more downscale. So rents have maybe increased 25 per cent adjusted for inflation. But nowhere close to tripling.

I think there's almost a class attitude at work now, like renting is for the poor. When I came to adulthood, the assumption was you'd leave the nest and fall a bunch of rungs down the socio-economic ladder, and then pull yourself up. Our parents were poor and rented too when they started out. Today, people seem much more intent on ensuring their children stay middle-class in lifestyle and don't endure that drop that used to be considered a natural and normal stage of life.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #162
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Left at 22 after my first university degree; came back a year later after my second degree and stayed a couple years before leaving for good at 25
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #163
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
My parents moved away from Calgary when I graduated high school. I was already going to the U of C so they set me up in an apartment and left me behind at the ripe age of 17. It wasn't pretty on my grades for the first couple years. Lots of fun though.
Hey man, this basically happened to me. Parents moved out and left me alone for grade 12 and a couple of years of university.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #164
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

What age? Pfft. Me and my wife and kids are in my Dads basement still!
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 09:19 PM   #165
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised to read about all these people who couldn't wait to leave home. I guess it's not for everyone but I have a 5 year old and another on the way and I plan on letting them live at home as long as they want providing they're contributing in some way either to a "rent" fund (which would be paid back) or to saving for their own place.

I remember how a lot of people made fun of me saying I didn't have freedom, if anything I think living at home allows you to have more freedom since you really don't have to do everything all the time. I mean there were times when I was hungover so someone else just did stuff for me. It wasn't as easy for me to get off my feet and I'm guessing it'll be even harder for my children then harder for theirs. Again, as long as they're not just sitting around all day playing games, I'll let my kids stay with me forever.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #166
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
What age? Pfft. Me and my wife and kids are in my Dads basement still!
Green text is for sarcasm on this forum, fyi.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #167
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The very first second I was able, and I moved as far away as I possibly could. (Banff to Memphis, 1 day before I turned 19.) I hated my childhood, and I haven't spoken to my parents in over 2 years. Best decision I have ever made, and best 2 years of my life (so far).
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:54 AM   #168
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think I was around 21 when I moved out of my parents and into my brothers house. Pretty sure it was because my girlfriend had broken up with me (don’t think it had to do with living at home but more just overall maturity maybe I dunno can’t totally remember). Within a month or two after moving out we were back together. She’s my wife now of 7 years in September.

Signed,
BoringCoffeeStories
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:03 PM   #169
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Left home when I was 17, went to college.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:28 PM   #170
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I'm surprised to read about all these people who couldn't wait to leave home. I guess it's not for everyone but I have a 5 year old and another on the way and I plan on letting them live at home as long as they want providing they're contributing in some way either to a "rent" fund (which would be paid back) or to saving for their own place.

I remember how a lot of people made fun of me saying I didn't have freedom, if anything I think living at home allows you to have more freedom since you really don't have to do everything all the time. I mean there were times when I was hungover so someone else just did stuff for me. It wasn't as easy for me to get off my feet and I'm guessing it'll be even harder for my children then harder for theirs. Again, as long as they're not just sitting around all day playing games, I'll let my kids stay with me forever.
How could you possibly have more freedom living with your parents? I would think asking a lady/man to come over so you could cook them a nice meal, have some wine, and let nature take its course would be awkward...
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #171
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moved out at 21 and moved to Vancouver for about a year
Came back broke and moved back in briefly until I landed a job at which point I moved into
My 600/month apartment in garden towers above crack Macs
Had some interesting times to be sure. This was in the late 90s when the lrt station was also right there which made it even worse
But the time there is also something I look back on with great fondness
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #172
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would argue being hungover and still having to get #### done is a pretty good skill to acquire.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 05:48 AM   #173
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

16. Had a step father who didn't really want me around. Left school. Got a job. Left home!
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:57 AM   #174
Tawiskaron
Farm Team Player

Exp:

My grade 12 graduation present was a set of luggage and my dad going "get the hint?". I moved out and arrived in Calgary 1 week after my 18th birthday....from a province that had 19 as the age restriction. Seemed logical to me.
Tawiskaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:04 PM   #175
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moved out at 17, went to University in the States. Ended up living at home again for about 3 months when I was 21, but after being on my own it just didn’t work at all and I moved out for good after that. My relationship with my parents was pretty strained when I lived at home but after I moved out it was great and has been ever since.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #176
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For many of us it wasn't because we didn't like it at home, it was because we had to leave in order to go to school (University or college). That was the case for me. My wife also moved out to take a one year course right after high school and her parents promptly moved back to Saskatchewan so there was not much point in her returning as it wasn't home for her anymore.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 04:05 AM   #177
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Left home for university out east when i was 17. Its weird knowing I've spent more of my life away than at home.

Time flies faster with each passing year. It's truly unbelievable.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:41 AM   #178
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But has rent? $550 was a pretty average price for a two bedroom place in 1990. That's $950 in today's dollars. Looking at the places you can get for $950 in Calgary today, they seem pretty comparable to the places I was renting back then. Maybe a little more downscale. So rents have maybe increased 25 per cent adjusted for inflation. But nowhere close to tripling.

I think there's almost a class attitude at work now, like renting is for the poor. When I came to adulthood, the assumption was you'd leave the nest and fall a bunch of rungs down the socio-economic ladder, and then pull yourself up. Our parents were poor and rented too when they started out. Today, people seem much more intent on ensuring their children stay middle-class in lifestyle and don't endure that drop that used to be considered a natural and normal stage of life.
No way in hell you're getting any decent 2 bedroom for $950.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #179
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I moved out just before I turned 17. Went to the U of A for school and haven't returned yet. Got married here and had a kid, perhaps in the next 10 years we hope to move back down to Calgary.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #180
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I moved out to Calgary right after my 21st birthday. Been here ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
No way in hell you're getting any decent 2 bedroom for $950.
I'd disagree. Plus, it depends how you define as decent. RentFaster.ca returns a ton of results for 2 bedroom / 1 bath places between $800 - 950/month, including in Downtown, Beltline, and surrounding inner city neighbourhoods.

Sure, you're not getting a fully updated apartment with granite counters, stainless appliances, forced air heat and A/C, but you can find something very livable all the same.

If I used my own living accommodations over the past six years as 'decent', then sure, you can't find anything 'decent' for $950 a month. But 21 year old me would have been very happy with what I found today perusing RentFaster in response to your post.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: