Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Assistant Coaches for the Flames

Now that Treliving and Peters are back, you can expect more news around who the Flames may be bringing in.

Should the team bring in guys that Peters knows and has experience with? Guys with proven NHL assistant or coaching records or should they go for more unproven guys at the NHL level with good AHL or junior / college track records?

How about Huska?

Article today as well on Huska's credentials.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/05/22/t...as-ahl-tenure/
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Whoever Peters chooses.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Now that Treliving and Peters are back, you can expect more news around who the Flames may be bringing in.

Should the team bring in guys that Peters knows and has experience with? Guys with proven NHL assistant or coaching records or should they go for more unproven guys at the NHL level with good AHL or junior / college track records?

How about Huska?

Article today as well on Huska's credentials.

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/05/22/t...as-ahl-tenure/
I strongly disagree. I think Huska has had some very strong teams and he has taken them absolutely no where in the AHL. Also, with the exception of Hathaway all those players named were on NHL trajectory before Huska. Why doesn't the article mention how former 1st rnd picks Poirier, Klimchuk, and Shinkaruk have all stalled or busted under his watch. Maybe he is a better coach then I see but saying there is a lot to like about Huska's AHL tenure is blatantly false.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, because Poirier and Klimchuk were questionable picks at the time and continue to look like questionable picks. I’m not convinced them “stalling” is because of the coaching they’ve received. Other players have excelled under Huska.

I don’t really care about the Shinkaruk trade as there was no room for Granlund at the time. It was a feeble attempt to address our need for more winger depth.

All in all though, those are three pretty meh prospects in my opinion. The only one I like is Klimchuk and he’s a band-aid so there’s that.

Last edited by dieHARDflameZ; 05-22-2018 at 03:52 PM.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I strongly disagree. I think Huska has had some very strong teams and he has taken them absolutely no where in the AHL. Also, with the exception of Hathaway all those players named were on NHL trajectory before Huska. Why doesn't the article mention how former 1st rnd picks Poirier, Klimchuk, and Shinkaruk have all stalled or busted under his watch. Maybe he is a better coach then I see but saying there is a lot to like about Huska's AHL tenure is blatantly false.

lol you keep saying this but it doesn't matter how many dozens of times you say it, it still isn't true.

The Flames do not build "strong" AHL rosters. They have mostly prospects doing the heavy lifting, and not even blue chip or high end prospects at that, especially on forward.

They never bring in ringers (AHL vets that are high scoring), they just bring in AHL depth players that play depth roles and don't score a whole lot.

Look at the teams that win down there. Last year the Griffins won and 3 of their top 5 scorers were 27 or older. The Crunch lost to them in the Finals and their top 4 scorers were 26, 29, 24 and 30. The Heat leading scorers were 21, 20, 25, and 20. It's like that every year. Flames brass chooses to give the scoring roles to young prospects, not AHL ringers. That makes them a weaker team for that league, not a "strong" one.

Huska does just fine for what he's given to work with.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ do you think the Flames should organizationally decide to bring in a ringer or two in order to potentially help breed a winning culture?
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ do you think the Flames should organizationally decide to bring in a ringer or two in order to potentially help breed a winning culture?
I honestly don't know. I like following teams that win, so I'd love it for that reason. I don't know if it would help the prospects or not.

Honestly, how many forwards have we graduated to the NHL in the last 10 years? Not very many, so I don't think it would hurt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah, I wasn’t sure either. I think my thoughts are aligned with yours
Old 05-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Although I've only watched a couple Heat AHL games live, they were all losses, and I didn't like Huska's body language from the bench. Anyone who didn't like GG is really not going to like Huska. He was basically brought in to be a yes man after Troy Ward refused to toe the parent club system (and tried to actually win games with what he had).

Last edited by sempuki; 05-22-2018 at 04:56 PM.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't k ow where I heard it but I'm pretty sure the SC Broncos coach is done in SC and heading to the NHL. I think he may bean incoming asst.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Although I've only watched a couple Heat AHL games live, they were all losses, and I didn't like Huska's body language from the bench. Anyone who didn't like GG is really not going to like Huska. He was basically brought in to be a yes man after Troy Ward refused to toe the parent club system (and tried to actually win games with what he had).
I missed the end of the Troy Ward tenure. Always kind of wondered what the deal was, periodically but never enough to find out the story.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Huska certainly has a positive history of developing defenseman, both in the WHL with Kelowna and the AHL with the Heat.

Given the Flames have young defensemen coming, there may be some logic in having a blueline whisperer on the big league team.

Schenn
Myers
Barrie
Bowey

Kulak
Andersson
Kylington

But the bottom line is Peters. What does he need? What does he think? Don't make the decision for him, and I'm happy as he doesn't appear to be a guy that messes around.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I honestly don't know. I like following teams that win, so I'd love it for that reason. I don't know if it would help the prospects or not.

Honestly, how many forwards have we graduated to the NHL in the last 10 years? Not very many, so I don't think it would hurt.
The Flames have actually graduated fewer defensemen (just Brodie, I'm not counting Kulak yet) and goalies (none) in the past 10 years.

Development is and has been a huge problem. Huska deserves some but not all of the blame. During Huska's first year, it was difficult seeing almost every prospect on the team regress. I do think Huska has improved since then though.

It would be nice if the Flames hired an assistant coach with a strong record of developing young players at the NHL level.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #14
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Huska certainly has a positive history of developing defenseman, both in the WHL with Kelowna and the AHL with the Heat.

Given the Flames have young defensemen coming, there may be some logic in having a blueline whisperer on the big league team.

Schenn
Myers
Barrie
Bowey

Kulak
Andersson
Kylington

But the bottom line is Peters. What does he need? What does he think? Don't make the decision for him, and I'm happy as he doesn't appear to be a guy that messes around.
I don't think Peter's is allot different than allot of veteran coaches in that he likes his team built from the goal out.
I'm curious if he can get our defence core playing the way they look on paper which was to be awesome.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Gaudreau
Monahan
Ferland
Tkachuk
Backlund
Bennett
Janko
Hathaway
Bouma
Baerschi
Granlund
Grant
Jooris

Gio
Brodie
Kulak

Gillies
Rittich

Just to name a few...
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #16
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Gaudreau
Monahan
Ferland
Tkachuk
Backlund
Bennett
Janko
Hathaway
Bouma
Baerschi
Granlund
Grant
Jooris

Gio
Brodie
Kulak

Gillies
Rittich

Just to name a few...
Obviously i was talking about graduating forwards from the ahl since the conversation was about the ahl coach and team. That leaves Backlund Ferland Bouma Jooris Janko and Hathaway and Backlund and Ferland as the only actual top 6 forwards.

Baertschi and Granlund were traded not graduated. The others never played ahl.