Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #4041
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have said it before and I will say it again. If we run on the assumption that the Flames ownership group believes that their current deal with the ageing Saddledome is leaving millions of dollars of revenue and franchise value on the table plus the loss of a variety of Saddledome events due to the roof, should the NHL allow them to move in order to maximize value? The Flames ownership group and others would say yes, they should be allowed to move.

Does the same argument not hold water for franchises that are currently losing money, have much less revenue, have a lower franchise value and a worse overall business case than the Calgary market?? If the ownership group in Phx said that we need to move the Coyotes to Calgary where the Saddledome is the only major rink in town, where hockey is #1, where our TV deal with Sportsnet would be much larger and where we would sell more merchandise all while increasing our franchise value by the tune of maybe a few hundred million and not sucking on annual losses that were reported to be as high as the 30 million, would that not be fair for THOSE owners?

At the end of the day it needs to be balanced! The scary threats don't hold economic sense when you have how many franchises who lose money and who don't have the same benefits economically as Calgary has had in the past and will have again in the future!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #4042
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Francis: In October/Early Nov.. "I would be shocked if Jankowski isn't sent back down".
Old 12-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #4043
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Such bald-faced and craven pandering to the gullible.

How many times does the city need to call this idiotic bluff?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #4044
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oh yeah, wasn't it confirmed that "scooter" was Eric Francis' CP account, or am I thinking of someone else?
Hmmmm. If I was a betting man, I'd be wagering millions this is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
V
Old 12-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #4045
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In his latest comments about the Seattle arena plan would it have killed Mayor McCheese to at least publicly acknowledge the importance of the Flames to this City?

Yup am grasping for any straw now.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #4046
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That article was just terrible. Eric Francis seems out of his element. Hope he reads the twitter comments and realizes he's too stupid to write an informative and journalistic piece, if that's what it was supposed to be. Unfortunately, he's not smart enough to read an enlightening or thought provoking opinion piece either, as the article has a thesis built on ridiculous arguments.

Well done Francis, you show your intelligence level each time you put your name to such articles.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #4047
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
In his latest comments about the Seattle arena plan would it have killed Mayor McCheese to at least publicly acknowledge the importance of the Flames to this City?

How many times does he need to say it in order to ease your own ridiculous insecurities?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #4048
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

Dude, try to calm down a little on this stuff. You're posting so many pithy one liners because you're friends with an owner or whatever. It's starting to get silly with the childish nicknames.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #4049
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
How many times does he need to say it in order to ease your own ridiculous insecurities?
Every time? I will acknowledge that my insecurity on the matter is borderline neurotic.

Here's hoping for some progress early in the new year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #4050
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Colby Cosh‏
@colbycosh
PHWA Injury Report: E. Francis day-to-day with upper-body injury from carrying unrealistic quantities of water
I lol'ed.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:20 PM   #4051
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What the Flames "mean" to Calgary is immaterial to the negotiation. If Gary and co had cared about what hockey "means" to people, they wouldn't have shut down the league three times in 25 years. But they did, because they needed to look out for their bottom line.

Nenshi's job is to responsibly administer the city's funds. You can argue he's good or bad at that, but he can't suck at it while not caving for a bad deal to keep a luxury entertainment product in town.

It really does seem, based on available information, that the city and the team are quibbling over the remaining third of financing for a project in Victoria Park.

Split the difference and put some shovels in the ground.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #4052
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can’t be the only one who actually gets a kick out of all this posturing?
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #4053
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Dowbiggen used to threaten all the time that the Flames were on the verge of moving - never happened. Click-bait.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #4054
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I lol'ed.
This has to be one of the most savage tweets of all time
Old 12-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #4055
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Dowbiggen used to threaten all the time that the Flames were on the verge of moving - never happened. Click-bait.
Exactly. This is just gaining views for Francis. Whether he truly believes it or not, he wins since people are viewing the article and about him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #4056
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Could the Flames not have waited 24 hours after Spector embarrassed himself and the Edmonton media before sending their designated water carrier an article to publish. Couldn't they give Francis a day of not being the biggest hack in the province?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #4057
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Not that I've read many Eric Francis articles over the years, because I think they're generally garbage and tend to not be informative, but reading this one makes me ask a question.

Has Francis always been a sentence-is-a-paragraph guy like Rick Bell? Reading that format makes it seem like he's pining to take over Bell's place. Can one actually aspire to that?

Style writing aside, Francis demonstrates a lack of understanding of the basic issues involved here. And he comes across as a shill for the owners.

Spector and Francis should launch a new publication, perhaps called the Spector-Francis Sports Times, or something, and then at least less bandwidth would be wasted. Their new publication would become a 'no click' zone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #4058
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 articles in 3 days for Postmedia about the Flames about to move. Flames ownership must love having them in their pocket so they can get these moving threats out without taking the heat themselves.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #4059
Loyal and True
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Francis is all about Drama and attention for himself. He wants nothing more than for Calgarians to think he is tight with the owners.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #4060
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Weird article.

Because the Flames are worth a lot, Houston is more likely to buy them? Which school of economics says that?
It's kind of a fools errand guessing at what franchises will sell for. The hurricanes recently sold for a lot more than their Forbes valuation. Regardless, a lot of the owners bought in for 16M in 1980 and I believe Edwards got in for 40M, so whatever value you place on an NHL franchise all these guys have made at least an order of magnitude on their original investment.

Why do people have the impression there is some kind of queue for relocation?
There's no priority waiting list. The coyotes were the team that was going to move to Winnipeg right up until the moment they weren't.
Closed Thread