Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #2061
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Wyoming, eh? I always forget about that state.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:55 PM   #2062
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Wyoming, eh? I always forget about that state.
Can't avoid when traveling to Denver to see family.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #2063
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've thankfully never driven to Phoenix (is that near Scottsdale? ), but in my experience, most US Interstates make most parts of the TransCanada look like a barely glorified goat track.

I love the idea of higher speed limits, but there seems to already be enough strugglers on the TCH as it is; I'm not sure raising the limit is going to make them any less of a hazard hahaha
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #2064
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
4. Aston Martin makes an SUV? I had no idea. It was pretty awful looking in general with the exception of the way that they integrated the rear spoiler into the design.
On the whole I'm not a big fan of the new design language, especially the DB11 (I might be slightly biased). However, the DBX has definitely grown on me, especially after you experience the interior.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #2065
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

On a much smaller scale I find the new SW ring road (the portion thats currently open) to be a nice smooth ride at around 115 km/hr. Wide open, great scenery and doesnt feel congested. Hopefully the south part will be the same

It won't ever be like the I-15 but still pretty decent IMO
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 09:38 PM   #2066
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
On a much smaller scale I find the new SW ring road (the portion thats currently open) to be a nice smooth ride at around 115 km/hr. Wide open, great scenery and doesnt feel congested. Hopefully the south part will be the same

It won't ever be like the I-15 but still pretty decent IMO
Now there's a piece of road that (all) traffic could safely cruise at, say, 130...

Speaking of the SWRR... I noticed there's a sign just as you cross Fish Creek going south bound that basically says "Entering Calgary"... I know that part of the RR is on Tsu Tina land, but that had me wondering if that was why I'd never seen any CPS enforcement on that section between Sarcee and, basically, the Costco? Surely there must be some reason, because it would be like shooting fish in a barrel issuing 15-20 over tickets along that stretch...
Old 08-05-2021, 10:08 PM   #2067
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Just got back last night from driving to Phoenix and back. The speed limit on the Interstate 15 is 80 mph, which is like 130 kph. Throw in some normal speeding and you can set your cruise to 140 kph worry free. What a fataing revelation. It was so awesome. It just boggles my mind we putt along the TransCanada at 110 when we could so easily go so much faster.
I've driven down to California a few times via I-15. I just set cruise to 80mph and not worry at all the entire drive. The only area where I have to watch my speed is driving through Salt Lake City.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:10 PM   #2068
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just got back last night from driving to Phoenix and back. The speed limit on the Interstate 15 is 80 mph, which is like 130 kph. Throw in some normal speeding and you can set your cruise to 140 kph worry free. What a fataing revelation. It was so awesome. It just boggles my mind we putt along the TransCanada at 110 when we could so easily go so much faster.
While I agree to a point, however you don't have cars/trucks/farm equipment crossing the interstate at a right angle, you don't have stop lights, and you don't have two way traffic. The TC has very few sections where you could justify the risk of that much of a speed increase. Even in europe where the highways are much better the highest speed limit is 130, with the exception of some unlimited sections of the autobahn.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2021, 05:46 AM   #2069
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have done the Phoenix drive many times, including about a month ago - so much nicer than driving the TransCanada. A couple years ago, I went the entire US stretch (2,200 kms or whatever it is) without a single vehicle cruising in the left lane. I cross the border, and the first vehicle I approach in AB is a fat-assed pickup lazing along in the left lane.

It is incredible how bad and how clueless AB drivers are.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #2070
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It is incredible how bad and how clueless AB drivers are.
I feel like it's becoming an epidemic, SK is no better and BC as well.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:05 AM   #2071
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I feel like it's becoming an epidemic, SK is no better and BC as well.
It IS an epidemic. I have had to resort to becoming a defensive driver always playing close attention to the vehicles around me as I’ve nearly been sideswiped twice this week. Yesterday on Beddington Trail I’m minding my own business and this GM SUV swings into my lane coming within inches of sideswiping me. Worst part is after the incident I could see in my side view mirror that the female driver was still bobbing her head up and down into her phone like she wasn’t even fazed by the near accident and continued viewing her phone trying not to be to overly distracted by the act of driving. It’s getting worse and worse.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-06-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2021, 11:18 AM   #2072
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It IS an epidemic. I have had to resort to becoming a defensive driver always playing close attention to the vehicles around me as I’ve nearly been sideswiped twice this week. Yesterday on Beddington Trail I’m minding my own business and this GM SUV swings into my lane coming within inches of sideswiping me. Worst part is after the incident I could see in my side view mirror that the female driver was still bobbing her head up and down into her phone like she wasn’t even fazed by the near accident and continued viewing her phone trying not to be to overly distracted by the act of driving. It’s getting worse and worse.
I'm nowhere near perfect, but with 2 teenagers driving I try my best to leave the phone alone to set the right example.

Texting/reading social media has to be the biggest cause of accidents and near misses these days. It unbelievable how many heads in crotches you see in day to day driving. Surely technology will come along to put an end to it.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #2073
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I'm nowhere near perfect, but with 2 teenagers driving I try my best to leave the phone alone to set the right example.

Texting/reading social media has to be the biggest cause of accidents and near misses these days. It unbelievable how many heads in crotches you see in day to day driving. Surely technology will come along to put an end to it.
Many self-driving functions have a supplemental driver attentiveness sensor to make sure the driver is at least somewhat paying attention... I would be all for that as a standard in all cars.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:50 AM   #2074
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nothing like the feeling of helplessness when you are stopped at a light and you see someone coming up behind you staring at their lap. Nowhere to go, hoping you don't get rear ended.

Before I put the car in drive these days, I make sure Android Auto is connected and working then I just throw my phone in the console. If I'm in my jeep I just leave the phone in my bag as it's too loud and windy to use it anyway.
InglewoodFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #2075
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Nothing like the feeling of helplessness when you are stopped at a light and you see someone coming up behind you staring at their lap. Nowhere to go, hoping you don't get rear ended.

Before I put the car in drive these days, I make sure Android Auto is connected and working then I just throw my phone in the console. If I'm in my jeep I just leave the phone in my bag as it's too loud and windy to use it anyway.
Proof that Jeeps are safer than Volvo's.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #2076
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Motorcycles should be allowed to filter to front at intersections. It’s sketchy as #### when a behemoth truck comes in hot and you can’t tell if they’re going to pole into you or if they’re just one of those idiots who likes to brake hard enough to nose dive their vehicle as a regular course of action.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:50 PM   #2077
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

test drove the new Audi RS Etron GT today.

Suh Weet
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #2078
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of new reviews on the Frontier have come out as they just had a media event down in the States. Most seem pretty favourable, here's one-

chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #2079
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you seen any pictures of the king cab yet?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #2080
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Have you seen any pictures of the king cab yet?
Yes they look good. Biggest complaints that I've seen are a lousy turn radius and no telescoping steering wheel.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote