Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #1241
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Can't remember the scene, but I think it was like 3vs1....

But it would be amazing if he were to be alive, but I doubt it
if I remember correctly it was Trant and 3 other kingsguards (or goldcloaks?)...Syrio incapacitated all the others with his wooden sword before having it snapped by Trant. then Arya runs and all you hear is some struggling sounds. Syrio could easily have grabbed a sword from one of the downed soldiers, or maybe just ran for the balcony and jumped into a fruit basket below.

his teaching style always seemed to mesh better with what Arya wanted to be anyways. maybe if they meet again she'll be ready for some next level stuff, having been toughened up on the mean streets of Braavos.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #1242
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
How do you think Jamie talked him into it and why do you think Jamie referenced his love for his sister and Edmuire's for Caitlin? I'm sure he told Edmuire about the letter from Sansa and he's marching north
That's my guess as well.
A lot of people are overreacting to his motivation being about his son and giving Riverrun back just for that.
There is likely more to it which we will likely find out next week. I'm not convinced the Blackfish is actually dead either.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #1243
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Could have done without the hero arrival of Danny on Dragon, even though she looks super cute in her Dothraki garb.

Speaking of cute. Drunk giggly Missandei is best Missandei.
The Hounds scene and this were the best of the episodes. Beyond these it was mostly disappointing.
Is that you, Jorah Mormont?
You should probably get on that curing yourself thing and stop getting distracted..

And you're old enough to be their father, ffs. Ya old perv.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:18 PM   #1244
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emilia Clarke is 29 years old. If as a mid 30's man, if I'm too old to think she's hot, I don't know if I want to live on this planet.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #1245
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
That's my guess as well.
A lot of people are overreacting to his motivation being about his son and giving Riverrun back just for that.
There is likely more to it which we will likely find out next week. I'm not convinced the Blackfish is actually dead either.
I would love for this to be correct. I love the Blackfish, great character to watch. I wanted him to go North to fight with Sansa/Jon but totally understood when he chose to fight and die in Riverrun. If there is any kind of twist which has Edmure, Blackfish and the Tully army heading north that would be sweet, but I am skeptical.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #1246
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Emilia Clarke is 29 years old. If as a mid 30's man, if I'm too old to think she's hot, I don't know if I want to live on this planet.
Nathalie Emmanuel plays Missandei, Emilia Clarke is Daenerys. Nathalie Emmanuel is 27 so you're probably still allowed to think she's hot.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #1247
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Mod edit- as per the title- no book spoilers allowed.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #1248
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe delete that major book reference there^^^
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #1249
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Is that you, Jorah Mormont?
You should probably get on that curing yourself thing and stop getting distracted..
And you're old enough to be their father, ffs. Ya old perv.
Quote:
Yeah, I'm 33, I'm not old enough to be Sophie Turner's father. Stop being socially awkward, djFlames.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2016, 07:36 PM   #1250
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Maybe delete that major book reference there^^^
Oops... good point. Now fixed:

The whole episode left me not so much dissapointed as underwhelmed. Not that I am too big a buyer into fan theories, but I did think there was more to what was happening with Arya in Braavos, some kind of twist but it just didn't happen (plus there is all of the unrealistic healing noted already).

Sad to see we won't get Clegane-bowl, but I suppose that is somewhat too predictable. Plus is it really believable that Sandor could beat Frankenmountain in a 1 on 1 battle anyway? Plus it will be cool to see what The Hound does with the Brotherhood without Banners.

All in all I want to see how things pan out in the future to judge this episode better. Looking forward to seeing sh*t hit the fan up north next week, something ala Hardhome or The Watchers on the Wall. On that note, Miguel Sapochnik who directed Hardhome is doing the last two episodes this season.

Last edited by Scrambler; 06-13-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #1251
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The actress who plays the waif is 29 too. I was suprised to see that.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #1252
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrambler View Post
Oops... good point. Now fixed:

The whole episode left me not so much dissapointed as underwhelmed. Not that I am too big a buyer into fan theories, but I did think there was more to what was happening with Arya in Braavos, some kind of twist but it just didn't happen (plus there is all of the unrealistic healing noted already).

Sad to see we won't get Clegane-bowl, but I suppose that is somewhat too predictable. Plus is it really believable that Sandor could beat Frankenmountain in a 1 on 1 battle anyway? Plus it will be cool to see what The Hound does with the Brotherhood without Banners.

All in all I want to see how things pan out in the future to judge this episode better. Looking forward to seeing sh*t hit the fan up north next week, something ala Hardhome or The Watchers on the Wall. On that note, Miguel Sapochnik who directed Hardhome is doing the last two episodes this season.
Ultimately I think the hound and the Mountain will meet up again, but it'll be more of a situation of the Hound putting the Mountain out of his misery in an act of pityv than a battle.

The Hound hates his brother, but when he sees what he's become, he's going to feel very sorry for him. A one on one battle doesn't make much sense if the Mountain can't articulate or feel anything anymore.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #1253
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like Flash, I really didn't see the point of everything that happened between the end of the previous episode in the dark room, and when she fought the waif. I would have believed that the waif could find Arya, even if she never left that room. Overall, I still like the Arya storyline. At least we see that she's a badass killer so it isn't a surprise when she starts taking people out.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:04 AM   #1254
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
No kidding. How much time did they spend developing her character as a faceless man, and then boom, I want to be a Stark? What a waste of time.

Also, she gets stabbed multiple times in the gut and basically easily survives? Terrible writing to say the least.
You're one of the most recent but certainly not the only one to difficulty with arya's story.

So no one gets it? No one has followed this and can make sense of her character arc?

She's been on the run since episode 9 of season 1. She's come close to seeing her family again, only to have it ripped from her, she's had her friends abandon her, get kidnapped etc. She's worked for Tywin Lannister, been threatened with torture from the mountain.

When she finally had enough she went to Bravos to be trained to get revenge on those who hurt her. She was tired of being taken advantage of. The faceless men tried to instil in her a motto of no one but the lesson they were teaching her, not just violence and spy ####, was 'never forget who you are' (read it like Apu's parents say it to him on the Simpsons). In fact her storyline does mirror in some ways that of Apu from the proposition 24 episode.

Anyway, I don't care that she survived the stab wound and they never clearly established how long she was in the actors house. Maybe a month for all we know. Maybe they weren't as deep as we thought. Maybe she is Westeros' first mutant. It doesn't matter.

My only real complaint is how out of character it was for the faceless man waif to go all public and big scene on Arya and the actor. She should have known to be more careful, then again maybe that's the point. Waif had no control.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2016, 07:28 AM   #1255
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some scenes on the show are coming off as really rushed now and poorly thought out. Arya's being one of them, the other being Sandor Clegane's re-introduction. If we saw more or Priest Ray and his band of merry sept builders, maybe we would have cared a bit more for them when they got brutally murdered.

Same with Arya's scene. Would have been more believable if she had only gotten stabbed in the arm and not the stomach because some of her faceless men training kinda stuck (not like how out of character she was when attacked even though she was shown as prepared for it just one episode prior). Instead in both of these story lines they went for shock value and sloppily wrapping up the storyline.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #1256
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think this sells the whole arc short. From the start of the show she didn't want to be a princess. She wanted to fight with the boys. So Ned started having her trained. She has been in denial of her Stark heritage from season 1 onward. Hell bent on revenge over the people who have wronged her. This season she could become an assassin righting the wronged via the faceless man or she could stake a claim to her heritage.

The last bit of execution was sloppy but overall the Arya arc has been internally consistent and showed a realization and change it what motivates her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You're one of the most recent but certainly not the only one to difficulty with arya's story.

So no one gets it? No one has followed this and can make sense of her character arc?

She's been on the run since episode 9 of season 1. She's come close to seeing her family again, only to have it ripped from her, she's had her friends abandon her, get kidnapped etc. She's worked for Tywin Lannister, been threatened with torture from the mountain.

When she finally had enough she went to Bravos to be trained to get revenge on those who hurt her. She was tired of being taken advantage of. The faceless men tried to instil in her a motto of no one but the lesson they were teaching her, not just violence and spy ####, was 'never forget who you are' (read it like Apu's parents say it to him on the Simpsons). In fact her storyline does mirror in some ways that of Apu from the proposition 24 episode.

Anyway, I don't care that she survived the stab wound and they never clearly established how long she was in the actors house. Maybe a month for all we know. Maybe they weren't as deep as we thought. Maybe she is Westeros' first mutant. It doesn't matter.

My only real complaint is how out of character it was for the faceless man waif to go all public and big scene on Arya and the actor. She should have known to be more careful, then again maybe that's the point. Waif had no control.
Have to agree with Cecil on this one. After her father dies she wants to go back to her family. They just all get killed. After spending time with the faceless men, she realizes she wants revenge. I always thought she was proud to be a stark, just didn't want to be a lady. I saw this coming when she hid Needle.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #1257
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Agreed. It was just clumsy, and I'm glad that terrible storyline inherited from the books is over.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #1258
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think anyone doesn't "get" her arc, it's not that complex, just that some question the length of time it took.

I personally don't think it needed to be that long, but it's not a huge deal to me.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #1259
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think anyone doesn't "get" her arc, it's not that complex, just that some question the length of time it took.

I personally don't think it needed to be that long, but it's not a huge deal to me.
By season time or episode time? I thought Arya Didnt get a ton of screen time since she's in Braavos. Season wise they needed to wait for the other stories to catch up.

Also, I don't think a lot of people agree with it just being time. There are numerous complaints about sloppy writing and complaints about the no one/stark issues.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #1260
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Cheap way to file screentime is what it seems like to me.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote