Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #3241
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

nm
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #3242
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I think the train robbery was the BB's "jumping the shark" moment, where the increasing craziness reached it's zenith and afterwards the craziness started to unravel the show.

GoT's "jumping the shark" moment might just be the Zombie Dragon.
BB never jumped the shark. Some of it's best episodes were in the final season. Game of thrones on the hand.... I think it has to be when Euron Greyjoy came crashing down onto the ship. Pretty laughable.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #3243
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Maybe for people who wants to watch Camcorder ones where you can hear people eating popcorn from your left speaker. hahaha

This movie would make $300mill easily.
You clearly don't know where to get proper videos!

A screener would be leaked within 2 weeks!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #3244
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
I think the train robbery was the BB's "jumping the shark" moment, where the increasing craziness reached it's zenith and afterwards the craziness started to unravel the show.

Respectfully disagree with you on both counts.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #3245
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

Haha HBO would probably leak it 4 days before premier
Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #3246
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

My thoughts summed up perfectly in regards to complaints about the show: (Not sure how to imbed)

NSFW - Language

https://www.facebook.com/barstoolspo...PH4JtczejdMXaI
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #3247
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I didn't see BB that way - Season 5 episodes are usually ranked highly in lists of the best BB shows of all time - this list ranking all BB episodes is full of Season 5 in the top 20. Ozymandias is often cited as the best television show ever.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...anked.html?p=3

Years from now, with GOT, will people be talking about The Red Wedding, Battle of The Bastards, dragon battles, or, small council intrigues, endless marches, and camping?
I always thought of BB being the rare show that was consistently good from start to finish. In fact, it may be the only show I can think of that I'd say that about.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #3248
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I didn't see BB that way - Season 5 episodes are usually ranked highly in lists of the best BB shows of all time - this list ranking all BB episodes is full of Season 5 in the top 20. Ozymandias is often cited as the best television show ever.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...anked.html?p=3

Years from now, with GOT, will people be talking about The Red Wedding, Battle of The Bastards, dragon battles, or, small council intrigues, endless marches, and camping?
Rian Johnson, the director, is the ONLY reason why I'll be watching 1 more Star Wars movie in the theatre.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:42 AM   #3249
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

Screeners aren't HD are they? Aren't they usually just like DVD type copies?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #3250
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
My thoughts summed up perfectly in regards to complaints about the show
Every time I see someone complaining about the travel times in Game of Thrones, I just think about the few instances of the Walking Dead where entire episodes are dedicated to people getting from point A to point B with a bunch of angsty, miserable walking, absolutely no story development except that the group did in fact make it from point A to point B eventually...and maybe some walker kills in between.

No thanks. I'll take an accelerated timeline any day.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #3251
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Every time I see someone complaining about the travel times in Game of Thrones, I just think about the few instances of the Walking Dead where entire episodes are dedicated to people getting from point A to point B with a bunch of angsty, miserable walking, absolutely no story development except that the group did in fact make it from point A to point B eventually...and maybe some walker kills in between.

And then they complain about that!!

Sometimes theres no pleasing people.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 PM   #3252
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I always thought of BB being the rare show that was consistently good from start to finish. In fact, it may be the only show I can think of that I'd say that about.
IMO, shows that were great from episode 1 to the series finale:

Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Justified
The Shield
The Sopranos
Seinfeld

Each one of those shows ended satisfyingly, and yet still left me wanting more. Despite the tonal shift, I expect GOT will be the same.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #3253
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

But why do people keep thinking that the complaints are about them not showing the actual travel? That idea is so absurd it is hilarious.

The issue is with the passage of time between events. Characters exist on one side of the continent in one scene and then a few scenes later a scene that seemingly takes place only hours or days later that character is on the other side of the continent with no plausible explanation as to how that happened.

If there was a reasonable effort to show that large chunks of time had passed it would make sense, but it seems as though the show has actually gone out of its way to show us these events are only hours/days apart.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:19 PM   #3254
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
IMO, shows that were great from episode 1 to the series finale:

Breaking Bad
Deadwood
Justified
The Shield
The Sopranos
Seinfeld

Each one of those shows ended satisfyingly, and yet still left me wanting more. Despite the tonal shift, I expect GOT will be the same.
I am going to have to agree. I have been really loving even the accelerated pace.

We've had people returning from the dead, assassins that can take new faces, witches that can birth killer black clouds, Dragons, a lady who can survive being burnt alive.

But Ice Dragons jump the shark?? Sorry but nope.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #3255
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

when the ice dragon fights Euron's kraken we'll know the show has jumped the shark.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #3256
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know, its funny, it used to be fun discussing this show but lately its just been a lot of whining....sorry, whinging.

I dont recall anyone holding a gun to my head on Sunday nights to watch something that brings so much obvious displeasure and strife.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #3257
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
when the ice dragon fights Euron's kraken we'll know the show has jumped the shark.
no, I would still watch that. but it does say something when the current tone of the show is actually closer to a spectacle like that than anyone could have imagined previously.

as an example from the other direction, how out of place would it feel this season to have Littlefinger give a long-winded monologue about his childhood and ambitions, while two prostitutes moaned on top of each other? what Game of Thrones used to be vs. what it is now is the thing many of us are still getting adjusted to.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #3258
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
no, I would still watch that. but it does say something when the current tone of the show is actually closer to a spectacle like that than anyone could have imagined previously.

as an example from the other direction, how out of place would it feel this season to have Littlefinger give a long-winded monologue about his childhood and ambitions, while two prostitutes moaned on top of each other? what Game of Thrones used to be vs. what it is now is the thing many of us are still getting adjusted to.
Ahhhh the good old days
Old 08-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #3259
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
My thoughts summed up perfectly in regards to complaints about the show: (Not sure how to imbed)

NSFW - Language

https://www.facebook.com/barstoolspo...PH4JtczejdMXaI
I mean, of course people are going to criticize a lot of problems they have with the show that completely contradict the pacing of the previous 6 seasons. The show is supposed to be built on some sort of reality that just so happens to have dragons and zombies. That's part of what made the series to special.

As fans we should have expected it, and most of us probably did. That doesn't mean fans are at fault for being confused or disappointed. I have been really enjoying this season, but I can't deny that I'm not as immersed as I once was.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-24-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #3260
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A moment finally occurs that fans of the books and tv show alike have been predicting for years, and now GoT has jumped the shark?

Things have accelerated, certainly. But is that not the way of most fantasy stories when they reach their climax?

Yes, GoT is a good story, but lets not pretend that there was never going to be this final rush to the finish where the story wraps up and the night king et al become the focal point.

Since literally the first episode where a member of the nights watch gets killed by a white walker, we've been headed towards where we find ourselves now. The substantial investment in character development has helped build the show to be more than classic good vs. evil fantasy story, but the ultimate narrative remains the same and everything prior was really just fancy window dressing.

I've enjoyed the ride, but the story is good vs. evil, as told before a thousand times. GoT has a different twist to get us there (character development, etc.), but so far it is in line with general fantasy story line expectations.

Now what would be really awesome is if GoT went with a complete dystopian story line with the night king winning the whole game and sitting on the throne because all the other leaders were squabbling when they should have been united. That'd be a cool ending.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote