Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default As a Russian checks-out, leadership Czechs in to Philly

Free agent signing Jay McClement just wasn't going to suffice when it came to leadership in the locker room.
We've been looking for a player with a high EX/LD rating for a few weeks now. We kicked tires at a few other experienced vets, but the prices were higher than we wanted to pay for a single year's worth of leadership.

When Jagr was made available, we happily inquired. He brings exactly what we needed and can hopefully help motivate some of our younger guys.

To Chicago:
German Rubstov
2018 5th

To Philly:
Jagr and his cheese

We did not wanna give up Rubstov because he could turn out to be the next Sergei Fedorov. I love Russians but were willing to gamble on this one.

I've never made a trade with Tilley before. Super easy to deal with, with solid counters in his chats. 9/10, would highly recommend.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Seems like too good a prospect to give up in my opinion for an aging player...unless that player is Jagr! Jagr trumps any punk prospect.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 10-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Jagr was a big piece of my run to a CPHL championship last year, but that was last year. When he signed with the Flames and the threat of retirement a non-factor for the CPHL this year, I thought it would be a good opportunity to acquire some assets since I paid a high price for Jaromir last year.

I had some very good offers from multiple GMs, but ultimately accepted JonDuke's offer of Rubstov and a 5th. There was a condition included in the final terms of the agreement, but as JonDuke noted after the deal was finalized, I may never see it come to fruition due to a lack of clarity by me. Well played.

Thanks to those that inquired and thanks to JonDuke for the civil negotiations. A+ buyer, will likely do business with Flyers again in the future.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote